AFL 'Bet of the Round' POTY

Should we allow members 1 pass per year?

• YES

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • NO

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
iluvparis NonPhixion

~24 hours to go before you get your 3 bets in. If you dont, I am automatically awarding myself Punter of The Year title. :drunk:

Im kinda hoping neither of you send me in your bets.:$

Just on that, if your bet is voided, there is no opportunity to resubmit another bet. Hence pick wisely and be aware of late players potentially being an out.

Its all about strategy and being the most cunning and astute of all punters in this Grand Final.

balmainforever Chism can you please make this thread a sticky if possible just till this time next week? Thanks. The winner deserves to be acknowledged widely on this forum, to achieve punter of the year in AFL is no easy feat esp with all the bs rules I have made ad hoc on the fly.

Sausage Legs

Club Legend
Sep 17, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
With rules as mentioned my bet would be Jason Castagna anytime gs at 1.80 on sb
- Has saluted 20 of past 25.
- Has hit scoreboard 24 of past 25 with only miss being that horror first game back of year when both sides only kicked 5 goals.
-Weather seems fine and shouldn't worry his game style anyway.
-They play GWS who have given up 4th most points against for the year and it looks like the smaller brigade are doing the main damage.
In castagna we trust.
Goodnite fellas

mookieb

Club Legend
Oct 4, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Line is moving in Syd direction, but i'll jump on Hawks -4.5 or i'll forget to post.

Very rare for a team that has ability to not clear the line after three atrocious performances.

Additionally Syd with their injuries are borderline Ade like in talent. I think even if Hawks are low on confidence then on talent they should squeak past, but personally expecting a more dominant performance than that.

Jun 13, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Line is moving in Syd direction, but i'll jump on Hawks -4.5 or i'll forget to post.

Very rare for a team that has ability to not clear the line after three atrocious performances.

Additionally Syd with their injuries are borderline Ade like in talent. I think even if Hawks are low on confidence then on talent they should squeak past, but personally expecting a more dominant performance than that.
Price and book plz

May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong

Agreed. Surely the Hawks just get it done on experience with Buddy, Kennedy and Heeney missing for the Swans. I'll enjoy the schadenfraude if they don't so win-win.

Jun 13, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
And we're off!
All 14 members have resulted. 6/14 wins. 8% overall group ROI.
To the surprise of no one, GS guru NonPhixion got us off to a hot start with Sexton 2+ saluting at $5.
Was mostly down hill from there with a 3 members understandably getting snagged on the blues.
karaoke got a nice possession multi today on the swans and there were a few other nice line wins.
The 'Nathan Brown award for getting absolutely nowhere near it' goes to OhhDeledio for picking Sam Day to get 2+. Day had 4 touches and looked less likely to snag one than Spider Burton in the wet. To be fair it was the longest shot of the round.
Don't worry Lids, we'll all be picking this award up at some point this year ;)

Screen Shot 2020-07-25 at 20.49.28.png

For upcoming footyfest rounds, it's pretty simple.
Just post once per round at any time.
Round 9 starts Wednesday and finishes Sunday week.

Last edited:

Sausage Legs

Club Legend
Sep 17, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Not sure if its too early or not to punt on next round but since everyone has their tickets in Ill nominate a simple 2 leg team multi.
Saints to beat Swans into Eags to beat Cats. 1.91.

OhhDeledio

Premiership Player
Jul 30, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
tom lynch 2+ @2 on ladbrokes

(was tempted to go for the 3+ but as the inaugural nathan brown winner, thought i should just play it safe and get on the winners list. hopefully :drunk:)

3/8 for the year. as a richmond supporter its been frustrating watching the way we've been entering our fwd line, with the ball seemingly coming in like its been dropped from a helicopter making it impossible for our talls to have any real impact on the game. dimma flagged that execution and polish going inside 50 has been a real team focus for the week so we should see a change in the way we go forward and the big forwards should get on the end of some clean ball for once. conditions should be alright aswell probably just a bit of dew.

last 3 weeks has gone 1.1, 1.1, and 0.2. if you take out his first few years as a developing player, he has never gone more than 3 weeks without kicking mutiple goals in a game. different year this year obviously but is due at least a couple. will always have his shots, just needs to put them through. will bounce back this week.

Last edited:

squeaky1000

Team Captain
Apr 30, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Changing tack slightly with a SGM for tonight's game that I'm quite keen on.
SGM: Both teams 40+, Macrae 20+, Libba, Smith and Daniel 15+ $2.15 lads

Few legs but fairly confident barring injury, thinking it is a fairly open high-possession game with none of the mentioned players tag or role effected.
Both teams should go over 40 comfortably in slightly dewy conditions at worst, tipping Macrae is closer to high 20's than low, and Libba Baz and Daniel are consistent 15+ players thanks to the Dogs handball happy game style.

NonPhixion

Bookie Assassin
Mar 27, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Cleveland Browns, Tony Ferguson
Rozee AGS $2.35 - Lads

3/8 for the year doesn't look great, but with Rockliff coming back into the team i'm thinking/hoping that he sees less mid time and more time I50. kicked a goal 17/22 last year playing mainly as a forward. Has had looks at goal in every game bar last week. Classy players like Rozee dont stay quiet for too long and i like him to get back on the goalkickers list tomorrow night. Pretty happy to take $2.35 every week, but i dont think you will see his odds <$2 too often.

mookieb

Club Legend
Oct 4, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Looks like a favourite's round to me. Can't see Sydney, Essendon, Geelong or Fremantle winning given form or in particular industries. Might just go for a double with St Kilda and Brisbane at $1.98 TAB.

Reasoning - it's a miracle that Syd won with the team (they're backline is good though) they had on the park against the Hawks. The Papley double goal, wet weather, confined SCG I think has flattered Syd given their lineup is really Adelaide like in quality with so many injuries. Hopefully Rampe misses because he's a gun.

Saints are rolling. Only danger is if they get ahead of themselves like they did against Freo.

I think Ess hits the wall here. Scrounging out narrow wins against weak opposition with a weal line up given injuries. Distinct lack of key forwards means Andrews should dominate.

Curnow/Kennedy/Simpson 15+ - 2.62 SB

Again, working on the Hawks giving up ~320 possessions to opponents.

Hoping these 3 get amongst it.

In 2020 for 15+;
Kennedy - 3/3
Simpson - 7/8
Curnow - 7/8 (miss was 14disp)

Cheeky 100-1 a snag when it opened up. Tried to get on for 30, denied and taken down strait away. Understandable.

They are so gutless at times with their odds. Happy to give crap odds for 20+ disposals and AGS, but glory be if you try backing a donkey at 100-1.

Back