AFL Cairns - 2012 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawks over Souths by 3 goals. Still plenty of class in the Hawks lineup. On a wet night at home, the Hawks will be tough to beat. For the same reason, I'm tipping them in the reserves also, though it'll be less than a kick in it.

Saints over Port by 3 goals. Again, the expected wet weather will have a strong bearing, I dont know why but I always favour the home side in the wet. Saints to win the reserves by a couple of goals.

Norths over Centrals by 1 point. I'd almost tip a draw. The wet and home factor comes into it again, particularly under lights. I think it will be a close tussle. Liddy back in the lineup is the dark horse, if he fires, Centrals might not get a look-in. Norths in the ressies by plenty.

All these are based on it being fairly wet. If it ends up being dry I think Norths would win and Hawks would win by more.

Tamba - glad he is doing something about it, unlike last year when things got ugly under Adams. Admin must support the coach's decisions about football. If players are not pulling their weight, get rid of them!

My tips
Souths to beat Hawks by 20 points, won't be a pretty game to watch but it will be close.
Saints over the Crocs 10 goals, Saints will kick away after Crocs put a huge effort in.
Tigers will defeat Centrals by over 10 goals. If both teams are at full strength.

Hawks over Souths by 3 goals. Still plenty of class in the Hawks lineup. On a wet night at home, the Hawks will be tough to beat. For the same reason, I'm tipping them in the reserves also, though it'll be less than a kick in it.

Saints over Port by 3 goals. Again, the expected wet weather will have a strong bearing, I dont know why but I always favour the home side in the wet. Saints to win the reserves by a couple of goals.

Centrals over Norths by 1 point. I'd almost tip a draw. The wet and home factor comes into it again, particularly under lights. I think it will be a close tussle. Liddy back in the lineup is the dark horse, if he fires, Centrals might not get a look-in. Norths in the ressies by plenty.

All these are based on it being fairly wet. If it ends up being dry I think Norths would win and Hawks would win by more.

Hawks by 2 goals Souths by 3 goals
Saints by 6 goals Saints by 3 goals
Norths by 10 goals Norths by 10 goals

Tamba and Flinstone - I know this will stir you up and you may not even know about it but why are some Souths players upset at Grant? As a proud supporter, surely you would have had enough of this!

Overheard your own players saying it whilst I was watching the game on Monday.

Collo, I have to agree with young Tamba's comment. Grant is good coach with the attitude that makes a great coach. Grant didn't come to the Cutters to change nappies, he's here to make something of our football teams. If people don't like hearing some home truths, then maybe they should look at doing something else. ;)

This week -

Souths in a tight one over Hawks
Saints in a tight tussle over Port
Norths to beat Centrals

Collo, I have to agree with young Tamba's comment. Grant is good coach with the attitude that makes a great coach. Grant didn't come to the Cutters to change nappies, he's here to make something of our football teams. If people don't like hearing some home truths, then maybe they should look at doing something else. ;)

Fully agree Flinstone! I just heard the boys saying it and I for one, and I am sure Souths agree, do not not want to see similar scenarios to last years at Souths.

I will say from an outsider Grant has some work to do to re-build the old culture and gain some competitive respect. But I reckon, from his demeanor, he is the right bloke to do it.

We should all rid the club of these buffoons who are along for the paid holidays, don't recruit them in the first place.

Hey lads,

Just after any info on a guy Jayme Morris, who played for North Cairns. He is moving to Brisbane and may play for my old club. Any info be great. Cheers.

Hawks easy.. South players sooking about getting a spray.. nothing new there
Saints easy in the end as I can't see Port containing Walsh, Gill, Mcqueen, Harkin, Allan or Searl for 4 quarters
Norths by a truckload over centrals..

Good games at Cazalys last night.

Hawks Reserves went down to Souths Reserves in a pretty open ball game, but a lot of heart shown by our youngsters with only one on the bench.

Hawks Seniors got up after a pretty close game at half time, went onto win by 30 odd points. Souths look a good side, with Gasgoyne dominating up forward. Get a few more games under there teams belt and they will be a good team. Also mark of the season by Willie Alick I think ;)

Good games at Cazalys last night.

Hawks Reserves went down to Souths Reserves in a pretty open ball game, but a lot of heart shown by our youngsters with only one on the bench.

Hawks Seniors got up after a pretty close game at half time, went onto win by 30 odd points. Souths look a good side, with Gasgoyne dominating up forward. Get a few more games under there teams belt and they will be a good team. Also mark of the season by Willie Alick I think ;)

One name will sum it up Willie Alick he carved us up after half time

Mark of the year to the young Man absolutely amazing

Saw 3 great ones last weekend in PD but this topped them.

3 Senior umpires need to go back to school,absolutely discussing display, in the wet you cannot umpire from 50 metres away, one man stood in forward 50 when the other two were down the other end there was no hope of ruling on a ball in the centre of the ground when it came there.

Hawks were complaining before me about it and it wasn't just one or two of them.

In saying this well done to the Hawks on a hard fought match.:thumbsu:

great to catch up with you Thommy Gun

Saints were far to good for Port today winning by about 150pts in the wet. Winners all over the ground for Saints with Walsh finishing the good work with a lazy 8. Saints also won the 2's by 3 goals in a good tight match.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One name will sum it up Willie Alick he carved us up after half time

Mark of the year to the young Man absolutely amazing

Saw 3 great ones last weekend in PD but this topped them.

3 Senior umpires need to go back to school,absolutely discussing display, in the wet you cannot umpire from 50 metres away, one man stood in forward 50 when the other two were down the other end there was no hope of ruling on a ball in the centre of the ground when it came there.

Hawks were complaining before me about it and it wasn't just one or two of them.

In saying this well done to the Hawks on a hard fought match.:thumbsu:

great to catch up with you Thommy Gun

Yeh was good to put a face to the name haha.

Agreed with the umpiring, I was going to mention something but couldn't be bothered. There was so much stupidity from them last night that your mind could nearly explode. From marks being called half volleys to high tackles ignored, it went across the board. Truly they need to look how they're training these guys and ask is this ruining the integrity of the local game. Besides the straight forward chest mark and holding the ball they cannot judge the more difficult tasks to save themselves.

Yeh was good to put a face to the name haha.

Agreed with the umpiring, I was going to mention something but couldn't be bothered. There was so much stupidity from them last night that your mind could nearly explode. From marks being called half volleys to high tackles ignored, it went across the board. Truly they need to look how they're training these guys and ask is this ruining the integrity of the local game. Besides the straight forward chest mark and holding the ball they cannot judge the more difficult tasks to save themselves.
Saw much of the same today Tommy, getting sucked in to massive dives is what happens when you are too far from the play. Wet weather def makes their job harder but they make it harder by not getting close enough to the action.
That said Tigers won by 40 odd points, dominated first half, kicked first 8 goals before bad kicking and a Cunningham led mini revival kept the crowd interested. 2's by 100.

From what I've seen there may have never been a stronger favorite for a flag than Saints so early in a season. I know its very early but they were completely dominant today. Walsh is a freak. Who kicks 8 while not dominating?

The league has dropped off in strength in my opinion while Saints have improved! Hawks have dropped off quite a bit with Port dropping off even more, Souths are about the same as are Centrals, maybe lions have improved slightly. North Cairns are the only real mover and they haven't shown enough to match the early hype.

What's everyone think?

From what I've seen there may have never been a stronger favorite for a flag than Saints so early in a season. I know its very early but they were completely dominant today. Walsh is a freak. Who kicks 8 while not dominating?

The league has dropped off in strength in my opinion while Saints have improved! Hawks have dropped off quite a bit with Port dropping off even more, Souths are about the same as are Centrals, maybe lions have improved slightly. North Cairns are the only real mover and they haven't shown enough to match the early hype.

What's everyone think?
I think we have shown 'enough', we were right in the game against saints at 3/4 time and definitely haven't waved the white flag yet. Saints for sure outright favorites but they were last year as well and look what happened. Must say was surprised with the margin up there today, thought Port would put up bettershowing than that.
walsh is a freak, I thought the bloke who played on him last week did a very good job, only to see he kicked 6 anyway. Hard to see anyone keeping the goal kicking medal off him.

I think we have shown 'enough', we were right in the game against saints at 3/4 time and definitely haven't waved the white flag yet. Saints for sure outright favorites but they were last year as well and look what happened. Must say was surprised with the margin up there today, thought Port would put up bettershowing than that.
walsh is a freak, I thought the bloke who played on him last week did a very good job, only to see he kicked 6 anyway. Hard to see anyone keeping the goal kicking medal off him.

Hot favourites have been knocked off often in finals over the past few years. Souths a few years back, Port a couple of years ago and Saints who beat Hawks by 90pts in the 1st final only to get beat in the big one. Anything can happen, Saints have picked up a few injuries over the past few weeks but with still 6 or 7 players to come back into the team that played today they are going to be tough to stop. As for Walsh well im sure all Saints people will be hoping for is a full season out of him, something they havent seen for 3 or 4 years.

What's everyone think?

Think Saints are on par with last season. They look better because teams have dropped off (Hawks,PD). Souths have improved but are coming from a long way back.

Bookmark Saints to win the flag and go through undefeated, I mean who can beat them, seriously!! Sure Tigers have improved nicely but won't beat Saints, may push them, but won't beat them.

Saints this year are going to be a lot more consistent with a lot better structure this year than last. Gill makes a big structural change, plus there's some good players and lots of rotating midfielders.

I still think Norths have lots of talent across the park and are more than capable of coming together really well. If Norths all clicked by the end of the year, I think they'll be a massive challenge.

Port have a lot of smaller young guys and they're all new to each other, so they're going to be both inconsistent and probably a lot better in the dry than in yesterday's conditions. I think the conditions suited the Saints heavily yesterday and Port didnt' do themselves any favours with that idiot giving away about 5 50m penalties for the day and copping two yellow cards. Young guys don't need idiots like that setting such a terrible example.

Port could turn that result around by 20 goals quite easily on a nice day in Port with a bit of discipline.

Still plenty of water to go under the bridge. Saints have come together faster due to the maturity of the new players. That makes things a lot easier for younger guys. But Port and Norths will only get better, lots of talent and youth at both those clubs.

Injuries didn't help port, 2 down in the warm up and 17 players on the field for 70% of the game. The bloke that was red carded should get 10 weeks, and delisted. Cracked a players head open in a blatant punch, started punching a bloke on the bottom on the pack, sent off twice and gave away 5 50m penalties. They would be better off without him.

Good pressure from Centrals and poor disposal from Norths stopped the margin blowing out between the two. Centrals coach Cunningham is a very capable footballer but will be shouldering a considerable load if Centrals are to make the finals.

It was good to have Meuller and Liddy back, both were missed last week and it allows for others players to involve themself more into the game.

Very surprised by the Saints v Port result.. One Saints follower informed me that, at full strength, there will be some upset, capable boys playing reserve grade. This position is a very hard one to deal with. Leriges and Dixon were 2 names that came up that, I would think, walk straight back into the line up.

Hawks on the board with a hard fought win. Are the NT connection coming across for the season? I was impressed with what Grant said in the paper, hats off to him and I hope he does stick with the local kids.

Hot favourites have been knocked off often in finals over the past few years. Souths a few years back, Port a couple of years ago and Saints who beat Hawks by 90pts in the 1st final only to get beat in the big one. Anything can happen, Saints have picked up a few injuries over the past few weeks but with still 6 or 7 players to come back into the team that played today they are going to be tough to stop. As for Walsh well im sure all Saints people will be hoping for is a full season out of him, something they havent seen for 3 or 4 years.

The bloke that I talk to from Saints doesn't give much away, are the 6-7 starters in the seniors? I think you guys have enough good players.

Probably the two starting ruckman, one played his first game back from illness in the 2nds.

Then midfielders Dixon, Kelly and Hallas (had his first game back in the ressies). Jarvie (CHB) and A.Couch also missed the weekend with minor injuries.

Those are 7 I can think of, 3 of them new this year, and I'd think they'd have been considered in our best 22 at the start of the year. They're all minor injuries or unavailables.

You have to assume there will be more injuries throughout the year and at least one or two during the finals.

It's an unenviable job for the coaches to decide who goes out of a side winning by 20 goals consistently. It's easy now when guys have niggles to take the cautious approach, but it will become difficult at the business end. It's that competition which drives improvement in those who might think they're at risk. Best problem for a club to have. Most injured will have to come back in through the 2nds, I would think?

Like I said, the light bodies of the young Port guys struggled in the heavy conditions and the ones that did have the size threw it around in the wrong way.

A couple of interesting games this week.

Port v Hawks a replay of last years preliminary final.
Both teams have been beaten by Saints by 20+ goals and both teams have beaten Souths. I think the young guys at Port will bounce back at home and win this one by 10 goals. I think Port will be a 10 goal better side at home all year this year due in large part to the age of their key players. Would expect these two to be very close at Cazalys.

Souths v Centrals.
Both teams have beaten the Lions only. Big game for morale at these clubs. A loss would drop the odds of making finals significantly. Centrals have played one less game but lost their captain Crathern (for how long?). Souths may have a decent forward in Gascoyne and a spread of youngsters while Centrals are reliant on a select few. This will be very close but I'm tipping Souths by 9 points.

Saints will notch up a normal cricket score (up here most cricket teams only seem to make about 100 runs). Hopefully the Lions can get together a reserves side to make it a decent day of football.

Port and Souths will have big wins in the reserves.

The Goalkicking usual suspect Walsh is 6 goals clear. Gascoyne and Gill the only others in double figures. I'm tipping one of the Port boys to kick a big bag this week, but barring injury, Walsh might be out to an unassailable lead.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back