AFL Cairns - 2012 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think we need to dwell on problems last year. They're well documented, just go back through the older posts.

None of them appear to have carried on to this year.

How many of Hawks' recruits from last year are still there?

I only heard good things about Griffiths. He told people how it was and it won them a flag. That can be difficult to do up here since some so few are loyal locals and may not be around next year.

Been speaking to a friend of mine who was involved with in the league last year. He mentioned how the hawks were the best team last year due to quality of recruiting but most importantly the no nonsense approach of their coach paul griffiths. Ultimately this approach got griffiths the big A and also got players offside in this emotional era. I understand he played a kid ( carter ) and a seasoned campaigner (pittorino) in the reserves on gf week after playing mostly seniors for the season. These players indicated they wouldnt be back if coach Griffith was at helm in 2012, I read that carter is now at saints. Will pittorino be back at club for 1 last year with a new coach or will find pastures elsewhere, to be dropped for a gf after serving and sacrificing for a club for so long as Fred has it can only leave a sour taste in your mouth. Any other clubs have friction last year and if so what?

There is always friction when people get dropped but the coach has to pick who he thinks will give him the best chance to win and Griffith obviously made the correct call.
If Carter couldn't make the Hawks seniors last year he certainly won't be making the Norths or Saints senior sides this year so interesting choice of club by the young man maybe he should have went to Cities and roved to the new CHF out at Holloways.

South's have had good numbers and their season launch was a success so surely they will improve and Port will struggle in 2012...
And the big question that still hasn't been answered is where is Nick Gill going to end up??? Surely an ex AFL player that isnt overweight like Relton and Liddy will dominate up here.

There is always friction when people get dropped but the coach has to pick who he thinks will give him the best chance to win and Griffith obviously made the correct call.
If Carter couldn't make the Hawks seniors last year he certainly won't be making the Norths or Saints senior sides this year so interesting choice of club by the young man maybe he should have went to Cities and roved to the new CHF out at Holloways.

South's have had good numbers and their season launch was a success so surely they will improve and Port will struggle in 2012...
And the big question that still hasn't been answered is where is Nick Gill going to end up??? Surely an ex AFL player that isnt overweight like Relton and Liddy will dominate up here.

Where ever Gill ends up he is going to give that team a massive boost. He knows a couple of guys at Saints i hear so hopefully for Saints fans that''s enough to get him over the line. Carter hasn't missed a beat at Saints i hear but with Saints picking up a few new onballers it will be tough for him to break in but wouldn't put it past him.

According to a quick web search, the Nth Adelaide FC wished him well, doubt he owes them anything.

He led the SANFL for marks last year. I doubt there would have been a recruit this big in Cairns in the last 10 years. If Liddy gets fit, he'll be good. Relton was average.

Though from what I hear, it's work commitments that mean he can't commit to every Saturday, but given his injury history, that probably suits anyway.

Sorry I edited my comment to try to be more clear that I was talking about young Carter. I only say that because Plugg3r got all :mad: last time it was brought up and I see that his clearance was previously denied, not sure why..

Where ever Gill ends up he is going to give that team a massive boost. He knows a couple of guys at Saints i hear so hopefully for Saints fans that''s enough to get him over the line. Carter hasn't missed a beat at Saints i hear but with Saints picking up a few new onballers it will be tough for him to break in but wouldn't put it past him.
Heard today that Gill has signed with Saints, Can you shed any light Lachrilly as to whether this is indeed the case..........

Heard today that Gill has signed with Saints, Can you shed any light Lachrilly as to whether this is indeed the case..........

I believe he played in an intra club practice match at Saints and was out having a few beers with them on Saturday night so from that i would think he was pretty close but i havent heard anything for sure yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any thoughs on how tomrrow's pre-season will pan out :confused:

IT will be a slog feast, by the time Souths gets on the park at 1800 or there abouts it will be fairly ripped up,

So good olde football will be had, :D
many memories of the days when I had hair & younger down in South Aust. playing in the mud and slush, I loved it

Gill has trained the last two nights at Saints but won't be playing this weekend. Not sure if he's signed, but watching him train, he's pretty athletic, certainly hasn't lost his leap or fitness.

The last two days haven't been as bad as early in the week, so perhaps the early games wont be as bad as the evening games.

On another note, why does local cricket even bother having a finals? They always end up being in the wet season and never completed, so why build up people's hopes of a finals series? The buffoons at the cricket club at Griffiths spend so much effort covering and uncovering the wicket it's like watching mentally challenged people in a knitting circle.

North Cairns v Cairns City Lions 1:50pm North Cairns v Port Douglas 2:40pm Cairns City Lions v Cairns Saints 3:30pm Port Douglas v Cairns Saints
4:20pm Centrals Trinity Beach v Manunda Hawks 5:10pm Centrals Trinity Beach v South Cairns 6:00pm South Cairns v Manunda Hawks

Looks like some very entertaining match ups but I for 1 look forward to see the game with south cairns and Centrals bulldogs. With the talk and rumours in regards to adams and his year with the cutters as senior coach and getting the cut toward the end of season, and now as co coach/ assistant at bulldogs it will be interesting to see his old charges line up opposing him. Should be in for some good old fashioned fire works. Emotions will run high. Any others players switch clubs in off season and will be playing there old team

Gill has trained the last two nights at Saints but won't be playing this weekend. Not sure if he's signed, but watching him train, he's pretty athletic, certainly hasn't lost his leap or fitness.

The last two days haven't been as bad as early in the week, so perhaps the early games wont be as bad as the evening games.

On another note, why does local cricket even bother having a finals? They always end up being in the wet season and never completed, so why build up people's hopes of a finals series? The buffoons at the cricket club at Griffiths spend so much effort covering and uncovering the wicket it's like watching mentally challenged people in a knitting circle.

Saint it is a comical part of the season up here! Kev Maher was saying the last 5 years, 3 have been decided by rain without the game being completed!

Looks like some very entertaining match ups but I for 1 look forward to see the game with south cairns and Centrals bulldogs. With the talk and rumours in regards to adams and his year with the cutters as senior coach and getting the cut toward the end of season, and now as co coach/ assistant at bulldogs it will be interesting to see his old charges line up opposing him. Should be in for some good old fashioned fire works. Emotions will run high. Any others players switch clubs in off season and will be playing there old team

They wont be able to 'punch his teeth out' thats for sure ;)

Tips for the preseason cup... I think Norths by percentage in the first group and Port Douglas will surprise us all in group 2. Saints coaches said they will try and give everyone a run but it will be interesting to see if we go for a spot in the grand final.

Nick Gill has signed with the Saints, it was announced during the week.

Tips for the preseason cup... I think Norths by percentage in the first group and Port Douglas will surprise us all in group 2. Saints coaches said they will try and give everyone a run but it will be interesting to see if we go for a spot in the grand final.

Nick Gill has signed with the Saints,

it was announced during the week.

where & when, how much for his services :confused::confused::confused:

doubt very much if he came for free :cool:

Got my groups mixed up sorry lads! Saints through after beating Port in a close one in group one. Walked out after the showers and saw Chris Adams being sent off 5 minutes into the game from a cheap shot...

Lions looked competitive, hopefully the numbers improve.

Gills clearance is on the website. His housmate is a Saints player and old friend from Adelaide I think. Come across and see his pay slip Tamby... I reckon he is on less then some of your 'recruits'. Some blokes actually play where they think they will enjoy it.

In case you missed the results,

Pool A :footy:

Norths defeated Lions, Port defeated Norths,

Saints defeated Lions, Saints defeated Port

Saints thru to Final

Pool B :footy:

Centrals defeated Hawks 5 points

Souths defeated Centrals

Souths defeated Hawks 1 point

Souths thru to Final

Interesting day, some players, I wonder of their reputations.:confused:

Yes, I know wet day , :(

early days, :rolleyes:

but the hype ???

Kane only played one half for Norths in second game, didn't come back after yellow carded, spoke to him later said was fine why didn't he come out again to help, they could have won,
Chris, yellow carded, raising arm, looked bad first look, will hold view to see what Melissa (umpires) do , but he came back on, Disappointed with Davis, Norths he is better than today maybe age catching up with Steve.
Coops for Port strong good marking, tackling.Their WA
import, I'm impressed with, sat/stood with a few Douglas boys during this game on the rails, sipping ale, chatting away. Lions CH good game, but may be frustrated with team mates not listening to him calling.

Still wondering some umpire decisions, what constitutes head high in some cases, front on tackles ugly, at least 10 I saw were shocking but let go (from all games)
They are STILL umpiring from TOO FAR-AWAY get in closer Kochy, John, Rohan, and he who was wearing number 18 (umpy), it was raining and dark no one was kicking 50 plus soooo get amongst it all.

But Great to see the Men in Orange ----BLOODING new boundary/ goal umpires well done :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back