AFL CAIRNS 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Haha yeah good ol centrals.
I seen that lions had a few new signings. Those along with Courtenay Dempsey and alwyn Davey in for round 1 they still have a long way to go.
Heard their round 1 game at fretwell is being moved to a home game to accommodate their 2 signings so all the gate goes back to the club

Haha yeah good ol centrals.
I seen that lions had a few new signings. Those along with Courtenay Dempsey and alwyn Davey in for round 1 they still have a long way to go.
Heard their round 1 game at fretwell is being moved to a home game to accommodate their 2 signings so all the gate goes back to the club

Don't wish to sound too negative but cant see the point in paying two guys to come and play one game. Any money on the gate will just cover the cost of bringing them in and while it might provide a positive boost to the club at this time it isn't going to be a solution for the season. Part of the reason some players have left is because they were not paid what they signed for as the club used money for FIFO players

Have heard rumours they are contemplating 1 possibly 2 more FIFO players for this season with one of them being last seasons crathern medalist. He alone would cost the club close to $1000 a game with his flights and what he wants for match payments.
Hopefully they don't go that route as much as he is an obvious talent the club could get 4/5 A grade players for the same amount.

FIFO for any club is crazy imo. Cities just need to blood any decent kids they have and hope they can snag a win or two for the season.

My opinion exactly !! I think that is achievable with what they have and if they can save $15000-$20000 to put toward next season it will go a long way to being able to snag a decent coach/players with some connections further south.

My opinion exactly !! I think that is achievable with what they have and if they can save $15000-$20000 to put toward next season it will go a long way to being able to snag a decent coach/players with some connections further south.

May not be correct but it appears that Lions keep making poor coaching choices and none of the appointments are viewed as long term. They also accept that a good player (which McNabb was and selfish) equates to a good coach. I agree that they need to focus on local talent and stop flying players in. Local talent will only improve with good coaching and stable administration.

May not be correct but it appears that Lions keep making poor coaching choices and none of the appointments are viewed as long term. They also accept that a good player (which McNabb was and selfish) equates to a good coach. I agree that they need to focus on local talent and stop flying players in. Local talent will only improve with good coaching and stable administration.

Spot on. Who was the last Lions coach to coach more than 2 seasons. You will be going back i reckon. Maybe they need a non playing coach who can direct the club in the right direction and maybe bring some quality players with him or recruit some

Anyone head to the pre season cup yesterday? Any new players stand out or teams on the rise or fall? Surely the league would be disappointed in Port not being able to fill a team for the final.

Was out at northern conference yesterday and all results confirmed port will be minor premiers this season with them only sending half their senior side down and easily accounting for lions and centrals (who did rest a few senior blokes ) but that was when they were down 30 odd points to 0 at half time. Close to full strength Centrals outfit took a bit to get going against tigers who were playing their consecutive game after losing to severely undermanned lions who had 18 players with no bench for both games.
A couple of port boys where into the beers straight after their last game so don't know if this forfeit was premeditated with them sending close to 30+ players down I'm sure they could of fielded a side

Was out at northern conference yesterday and all results confirmed port will be minor premiers this season with them only sending half their senior side down and easily accounting for lions and centrals (who did rest a few senior blokes ) but that was when they were down 30 odd points to 0 at half time. Close to full strength Centrals outfit took a bit to get going against tigers who were playing their consecutive game after losing to severely undermanned lions who had 18 players with no bench for both games.
A couple of port boys where into the beers straight after their last game so don't know if this forfeit was premeditated with them sending close to 30+ players down I'm sure they could of fielded a side
If this is true surely the league should be looking into it

I didn't think much into at the time until 5/5.30 when I heard they forfeit due to the reasons they stated I thought back to seeing 3 or 4 of the blokes that played walking around with a couple of beverages.
I personally thought that port were never going to play at cazalys in the afternoon. However didn't expect them to forfeit.
Would any other teams have forfeited had they got through ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Word on the wireless this morning that port may lose a major sponsor worth 30k because of their actions regarding the final on Saturday

Word on the wireless this morning that port may lose a major sponsor worth 30k because of their actions regarding the final on Saturday

And so they should. Really poor promotion of AFL footy in Cairns. Shoe is now on the other foot. Hawks were kicked out of the comp for twelve months for forfeiting a home and away game in 2015 at Port Douglas. Surely AFL Cairns needs to take a good hard look at this pre season comp. Why wouldn't they had played all games at Cazaly's. No club has a great interest in the pre season comp and I know that some sides have deliberately lost games in the past so they don't have to play the final the week before the season starts. I was silly enough to turn up to Cazaly's on Saturday evening to watch a game of footy but instead spent time watching the saints players have dinner at the club.

Only way port could of deliberately lost games is if they had 10 on the field. I think the sent down half their reserves hoping to be pushed by either team they played but where still to good. ( even though centrals did rest majority of their best 22 for the port game too )
I agree the setup was a bit bizarre however I am a fan of the pre season comp as some clubs don't get a chance to have a proper hit out before round 1 up here so hopefully they can keep it going next season.

The pre season comp is a good idea just need to find the best format. Saints didnt play Souths on Saturday and that game could have changed who made it through. Maybe hold it over a few weeks so each team can play each other once maybe.

$8000 for a Reserves coach?! Sign me up!

I'm playing/coaching Reserves this year, and can tell you that I know at least 1 club that isn't paying their Reserves coach! haha

Pyramid ;)

Lions and Souths round 1 game moved........... welcome to the world that is AFL Cairn$

As for the forfeit, that needs to be tidied up real quick.

Pyramid ;)

Lions and Souths round 1 game moved........... welcome to the world that is AFL Cairn$

As for the forfeit, that needs to be tidied up real quick.
Word is that they even played 19 on the field to try and have their points taken from them. If its true throw the book at them i say

Arrogance ?? To good to play off for the pre season cup ?
Surely AFL cairns will have access to the team sheets submitted for both games to see how many players came down and played on the day. Would like to know how many players were used.
Was the final going to be a full game or 2 halves like the rest of them comp?

Arrogance ?? To good to play off for the pre season cup ?
Surely AFL cairns will have access to the team sheets submitted for both games to see how many players came down and played on the day. Would like to know how many players were used.
Was the final going to be a full game or 2 halves like the rest of them comp?

Arrogance and disrespectful to the comp and other teams. I believe it was a similar format. Not sure why AFL Cairns didn't elevate the runners up in the North section and offer them the opportunity to play Saints at Cazaly's.

Last edited:
Well the precedence has been set ---

Pre Season or NOT. All clubs played in the same heat at various times throughout the day.

Was it pre meditated to not play in the final ??? or didn't they expect to make it , if sooooooooo were they not committed ,
Only the flies on the dressing room walls know the truth outside of the coaching staff . As reported here previously , Port players were seen walking around with alcohol in their hands after games before the final.

Only ONE punishment is fitting ----- the book , the whole book and nothing but the BOOK , should be heaved at Port Douglas "Crocs"

BUT it WONT HAPPEN ---- WHY because "AFL Cairns" ARE GUTLESS to make an example of a PINUP CLUB.

Biggest joke in all sporting codes in the world.

Nice to threaten one's life, so then club forfeits , but Noooooooooo we dont want to play in the heat , sob sob sob, pass another beer and a pack of filters & matches will ya.

Fairly Discussed with Port Douglas.

That's my view on the matter. ------------------ By the way I was on assignment elsewhere. Major Dog Show Competition and we showed in the heat, had two shows that day before 5pm.

Well the precedence has been set ---

Pre Season or NOT. All clubs played in the same heat at various times throughout the day.

Was it pre meditated to not play in the final ??? or didn't they expect to make it , if sooooooooo were they not committed ,
Only the flies on the dressing room walls know the truth outside of the coaching staff . As reported here previously , Port players were seen walking around with alcohol in their hands after games before the final.

Only ONE punishment is fitting ----- the book , the whole book and nothing but the BOOK , should be heaved at Port Douglas "Crocs"

BUT it WONT HAPPEN ---- WHY because "AFL Cairns" ARE GUTLESS to make an example of a PINUP CLUB.

Biggest joke in all sporting codes in the world.

Nice to threaten one's life, so then club forfeits , but Noooooooooo we dont want to play in the heat , sob sob sob, pass another beer and a pack of filters & matches will ya.

Fairly Discussed with Port Douglas.

That's my view on the matter. ------------------ By the way I was on assignment elsewhere. Major Dog Show Competition and we showed in the heat, had two shows that day before 5pm.

Heard AFL Cairn$ facebook account went inton meltdown and some people may face sanctions due to certain things they posted....... could be an interesting few weeks ahead.

What can you do to Port for a pre-season game?

Punish them by not allowing them into next seasons pre-season comp?
I think you'll find that the negative exposure is all they'll get.

Heard AFL Cairn$ facebook account went inton meltdown and some people may face sanctions due to certain things they posted....... could be an interesting few weeks ahead.

What can you do to Port for a pre-season game?

Punish them by not allowing them into next seasons pre-season comp?
I think you'll find that the negative exposure is all they'll get.

Here is the official excuse from the Port Douglas Football Club. I think the league has to punish them by not giving them the $33,000 sponsorship for 2017. You cannot treat the comp (pre season or regular) with a lack of respect.
Hi all,

I just wanted to touch base with all sponsors and members regarding last Saturday’s XXXX Cup matches.

I’m sure most have read the papers but we want to give our members and sponsors a clear image of what occurred.

We had a limited amount of players available through injury or unavailability of the up to 26 required and we ended up with 24 in total for the 3 games.

Through many significant injuries mainly in the second half of the second game on Saturday we were not able to field a side of at least 14 to start the Grand Final and Cairns Saints were awarded the game.

The club went to Cazaly’s for the Grand Final and set up with trainers and football staff and did not forfeit the game but due to the ruling where we put out team sheet in with less than 14 players the game was awarded to Saints.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back