AFL CAIRNS 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Well that's an embarrassing situation.

It's our fault we only took so many players into the day, but we still turned up and you wouldn't let us play........... it's your fault not ours.
10 injuries in the second half of the second game. Who the hell in that club walked under a ladder at half time?

AFL Cairn$ does need to take upon themselves some part of the blame.
Who organises a League wide competition at two different venues with the Final at a seperate one 2 hours after?

The costs involved with organistion and travel on behalf of the clubs is underestimated by the league with these silly little pre-season must haves. Let the clubs organise pre-season games or have a proper Lightning Premiership.
Rules.
18 on field players, 8 bench, 2 injury players.
15 minute halves, 10 minute half time, 5 minute change over.
Divisions split between Ladder, 1, 3, 5, 7, and 2, 4, 6, 8.
Why not have the competition on a Saturday starting at 10am, allow Port and Power enough time to get to Cazaylys.

1000 1 v 3
1045 2 v 4
1130 5 v7
1215 6 v 8
100 1 v 5
145 2 v 6
230 3 v 7
315 4 v 8
400 1 v 7
445 2 v 8
530 3 v 5
615 4 v 6

700 Final 2 winning sides

Awards should be:
Most goals by player
Best Player
Best and fairest club
Best mark
Best play
GF player
GF team

Lachrilly

All Australian
May 17, 2007
Cairns
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
You cant tell me they had 26 to choose from a week out from rd.1. From what i hear they had no intention to play the final and did whatever was needed to make that happen. Surely the coachs job as NQ coach should be in question as surely he was behind this.

rexel

Debutant
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
I agree that the pre season format needs to be changed. Even the time of day allocated to play and the split venues were poorly planned. Even if they go back to a round robin series at Cazaly's like previous seasons with the grand final the week before the season. Surely that has to be better than the dribble dished up this year. Maybe even a twilight preseason carnival over to consecutive Friday nights under lights at Cazaly's would work.

rexel

Debutant
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
You cant tell me they had 26 to choose from a week out from rd.1. From what i hear they had no intention to play the final and did whatever was needed to make that happen. Surely the coachs job as NQ coach should be in question as surely he was behind this.
I heard the same story from a guy I work with from Port Douglas. He is very dirty on the club and said it was a very poor look.

Agree with the coaches position being looked at.

I agree that the pre season format needs to be changed. Even the time of day allocated to play and the split venues were poorly planned. Even if they go back to a round robin series at Cazaly's like previous seasons with the grand final the week before the season. Surely that has to be better than the dribble dished up this year. Maybe even a twilight preseason carnival over to consecutive Friday nights under lights at Cazaly's would work.

I don't like split venues or over a few week period, if it's over on one weekend at least it gives sides time to recover before the real thing starts.
Cazayly's is the leagues ground and it needs to be utilised properly.

tamba

Club Legend
Oct 17, 2007
In my MAN Cave
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
South Cairns Cutters
Biggest joke in all sporting codes in the world.

"Quote" --AFL Cairns has slapped Port Douglas with a hefty $3500 fine on the eve of its opening round clash with Cairns Saints.

The Crocs were found guilty of bringing the game into disrepute following its forfeit to the Saints in the Grand Final of the XXXX Pre-season Cup last weekend, when it couldn’t field a team due to injuries.

The league handed down a $2000 fine for its forfeit and a further $3000 for bringing the game into disrepute. $1500 of the latter penalty is a suspended fine for two years.

AFL Cairns President Gary Young said the decision was a difficult one to assess.

“We do not feel the Port club deliberately wanted to forfeit. However better preventative action could have been taken especially on the day,” he said.

“Earlier notice of a shortage of players could have allowed us to elevate the third placed team into the Grand Final. We did not have that opportunity.”

Young said the league was trying hard to develop itself as one of the most professional sporting bodies in Northern Queensland, and incidents like this undermine that.

“Our clubs and the League work really hard to present a professional impression of AFL footy in Far North Queensland,” he said.

“Events like this, as unintentional as they might be, undo a lot of really good work. The Board must impose meaningful sanctions so that everyone understands their responsibility in the everyday delivery of our great game.”

The Crocs take on the Saints in what will be a hotly contested round one opener at Cazalys Stadium at 6pm tomorrow night. "UnQuote"

Again I State -------

Only ONE punishment is fitting ----- the book , the whole book and nothing but the BOOK , should be heaved at Port Douglas "Crocs"

BUT it WONT HAPPEN ---- WHY because "AFL Cairns" ARE GUTLESS to make an example of a PINUP CLUB.

Fining them $$$$$ ruddy big laugh out loud JOKE.

Last edited:
200.webp

AFL CAIRN$

brrrrrrr

Debutant
Jul 5, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
So now port are saying they were unaware they qualified for the final ?
From port Douglas Facebook page :

Well what a week it's been.
After struggling to get a squad up for the XXXX Cup last weekend having only 24 fit and available players the club won both its matches and qualified for the grand final even though we were not officially told.
Physical injuries as well as a few heat related saw our club trainers evaluate the injured after the second game so we rang CAFL within 20 minutes of understanding we were probably in the final (Souths apparently won both of theirs and were told that we were in by percentage) our trainers found a total 9 injured players bringing our squad to 15 and with 2 unavailable due to pre scheduled work leaving a total of 13 players when CAFL rang us back.
We went to Cazaly's, set up as per normal, and put in a team sheet to be told Saints were the winner via forfeit.
The club did everything asked if it including full documentation of all players on the day and on all that were unavailable or injured before that weekend to which we did thoroughly and precisely.
The PDFC is EXTREMELY disappointed with the outcome of the event and fines involved and will cop our whack but one thing remains is that if the same situation arises again, the club, board, coaches & trainers will put the wellbeing of our players health as paramount as we are expected to do in every situation just like any other club or sporting body across Australia.
We certainly will not aggravate an injury or worst still have someone collapse under our watch by making a player take the field just so we can get a game underway.
The circumstances were unforeseen and impossible to control and the club knows that.
With no further avenue or an appeal process this will now end and we will move on but on a positive note the beast has been prodded so look out for us on our premiership defence !
☀️

ablett

Premiership Player
Jan 27, 2006
Tasmania
AFL Club
Fremantle
If it's a pre-season comp & not apart of the official season then I wouldn't pay the fines.
If I was Port Douglass footy club then I'd ask the league for a copy of the pre-season contract, no contract-no fines can apply.
Leagues think they can enforce laws of their own, but like councils!

If it's a pre-season comp & not apart of the official season then I wouldn't pay the fines.
If I was Port Douglass footy club then I'd ask the league for a copy of the pre-season contract, no contract-no fines can apply.
Leagues think they can enforce laws of their own, but like councils!

This is about the dumbest post i've seen in the Cairns thread ever.

All clubs have a contract with the league that is ongoing, even in the off-season.

ablett

Premiership Player
Jan 27, 2006
Tasmania
AFL Club
Fremantle
This is about the dumbest post i've seen in the Cairns thread ever.

All clubs have a contract with the league that is ongoing, even in the off-season.

Do they, show me then?
Pre-season comps aren't usually officially hence fines can't apply, get the facts before you carry on hero.

Do they, show me then?
Pre-season comps aren't usually officially hence fines can't apply, get the facts before you carry on hero.

Dumb again

Registration with the club by players is then forwarded to the league........... Hence contract.

Clubs register with the league........ Hence contract.

Facts proven.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lachrilly

All Australian
May 17, 2007
Cairns
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
2 similar games at Cazalys yesterday. Close at half time then Port showed their class in the end. Chappelle didnt play for Port while Saints had a few key players out

brrrrrrr

Debutant
Jul 5, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Was out to watch lions v Souths @ holloways and was taken back by the support shown by the whole south cairns football club and the way they conducted themselves on and off the field all the way from the president through to the reserve players and for simply hanging around after the game ( some for a feed and some for a frothy ). Before Saturday I was never a big fan of Souths ( maybe due to their success over previous years ) however it showed that they are a well drilled team not just on the field and were modest winners.
I know when lions play out there they will be returning the favour and showing them the respect they showed their opponents on the weekend.
Hats off to south cairns football club

rexel

Debutant
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
No wet signatures, no contract, rego's ain't contracts.
All clubs under the banner of the AFL (and all other sporting bodies) are considered contracted to represent their leagues with all competition requirements both preseason and in season. We have to remember that each club in our league is given $33,000 funding each year for that very reason. On another note, I wonder if the Cairns City Lions think that bringing two ex AFL players up for round 1 was worth the financial outlay. The crowd wasn't great and the score line was very ordinary at the end of the day. I admire the approach and understand the effort, but wonder whether that money would have been better spent developing juniors and keeping local players who have committed to the club for what is going to be a very long season.

Lachrilly

All Australian
May 17, 2007
Cairns
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
All clubs under the banner of the AFL (and all other sporting bodies) are considered contracted to represent their leagues with all competition requirements both preseason and in season. We have to remember that each club in our league is given $33,000 funding each year for that very reason. On another note, I wonder if the Cairns City Lions think that bringing two ex AFL players up for round 1 was worth the financial outlay. The crowd wasn't great and the score line was very ordinary at the end of the day. I admire the approach and understand the effort, but wonder whether that money would have been better spent developing juniors and keeping local players who have committed to the club for what is going to be a very long season.[/QUO

Helping their juniors for sure and maybe looking for some gun recruits or coaches in the future. If they think Syd can do a good job then reward him with the job for a few seasons and try and recruit players who want to help a struggling club back to a competitive levell again.

brrrrrrr

Debutant
Jul 5, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
I did hear a few rumours that the never paid these 2 ex afl players to play but also heard that they didn't pay any of the senior players for round 1 to cover their expenses. I personally think Dempsey could of played down back where he was rarely sighted in the defensive 50 all day and requested to play deep forward ( not much point having him there if the ball not getting down there ). May have restricted bosen 9 goal haul floating around the back line. However himself and alwyn did bring a lot more to the club with passing on experience and knowledge to some kids and some senior players too.
I think the weekends results provided a glimpse of how the season will pan out with the top 3 all winning with saints and hawks fighting for that 4th spot. With the exception of norths having their bye of course we should see where they stand coming up against saints.

I did hear a few rumours that the never paid these 2 ex afl players to play but also heard that they didn't pay any of the senior players for round 1 to cover their expenses. I personally think Dempsey could of played down back where he was rarely sighted in the defensive 50 all day and requested to play deep forward ( not much point having him there if the ball not getting down there ). May have restricted bosen 9 goal haul floating around the back line. However himself and alwyn did bring a lot more to the club with passing on experience and knowledge to some kids and some senior players too.
I think the weekends results provided a glimpse of how the season will pan out with the top 3 all winning with saints and hawks fighting for that 4th spot. With the exception of norths having their bye of course we should see where they stand coming up against saints.

Tigers will have a few out for the next few games so it may not be a true 100% gauge.

I do think it will be Top 4 - then Manunda, Tigers, Lions

rexel

Debutant
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong

Couldn't agree more. Was a tough day for the lions and clearly will be a tough year. Sad because I watched them last year and saw some really impressive performances despite the issues surrounding the coaches and players not being paid what they were promised. Hats off to all the volunteers, players and coaching staff for trying to pick themselves up with bringing in players for round 1. Agree, when your being smashed, placing Dempsey into the backline as a 7th defender would have provided better assistance than having him float midfield/forward.

rexel

Debutant
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Tigers will have a few out for the next few games so it may not be a true 100% gauge.

I do think it will be Top 4 - then Manunda, Tigers, Lions

Who is missing for the Tigers in the first few weeks. Have they got a president yet?

brrrrrrr

Debutant
Jul 5, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
I didn't get to see much of them last year however seen that they were in the finals race right up to the end of the season which is a vast improvement of the old lions that we were all used to seeing toward the bottom end of the ladder. Will be a very long season for them and I hope they can all get through the season with a few more 100 + point loses look like a regular occurrence this season

Lachrilly

All Australian
May 17, 2007
Cairns
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
I didn't get to see much of them last year however seen that they were in the finals race right up to the end of the season which is a vast improvement of the old lions that we were all used to seeing toward the bottom end of the ladder. Will be a very long season for them and I hope they can all get through the season with a few more 100 + point loses look like a regular occurrence this season

Most years Lions are more than competitive for the first half of the season than drop off drastically after that. When things get tough with injuries or whatever they really struggle. Thats when they have to pull together as a club and fight through it. Something they haven't been able to do for a long time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back