AFL CAIRNS 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

brrrrrrr

Debutant
Jul 5, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Have heard that Jordan Gerrans is getting his information from an outgoing committee member/president who has yet to see a game this season . And this committee member/president is 1 of the major reasons that majority of the players have left.
I personally have played(and sure many of you on here) at multiple clubs who have had reserve grade players back up and play 2 games on occasion.
Lions will fill a side each week regardless of what is published in the fish and chip wrapper.
By the looks of it they have a good core of 8-10 senior blokes that are committed to putting that club back on the tracks and heading in the right direction ( even blokes that have gone there from opposing clubs ).
We all knew they were in for a long season and have only had a coach for 4 weeks and done no pre season whatsoever. And with the numbers they have been getting to training and have available on game day I reckon they are doing alright

rexel

Debutant
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Have heard that Jordan Gerrans is getting his information from an outgoing committee member/president who has yet to see a game this season . And this committee member/president is 1 of the major reasons that majority of the players have left.
I personally have played(and sure many of you on here) at multiple clubs who have had reserve grade players back up and play 2 games on occasion.
Lions will fill a side each week regardless of what is published in the fish and chip wrapper.
By the looks of it they have a good core of 8-10 senior blokes that are committed to putting that club back on the tracks and heading in the right direction ( even blokes that have gone there from opposing clubs ).
We all knew they were in for a long season and have only had a coach for 4 weeks and done no pre season whatsoever. And with the numbers they have been getting to training and have available on game day I reckon they are doing alright

Agree with all your comments. No one gains if they don't see out the season. The committee and players still at the club deserve accolades for hanging tough. I still maintain the club has made a number of appalling coaching appointments in the last few years and as a player you eventually get sick of all the upheaval and losing regularly

brrrrrrr

Debutant
Jul 5, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Hopefully between the senior players they have now and the incoming committee and coaching staff they can make the right decisions toward the pointy end of the season in regards to securing a senior coach and in recruitment of players for the following year like every other normal club that has tasted success the last decade has done

rexel

Debutant
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Hopefully between the senior players they have now and the incoming committee and coaching staff they can make the right decisions toward the pointy end of the season in regards to securing a senior coach and in recruitment of players for the following year like every other normal club that has tasted success the last decade has done

Lets hope so. We cant afford any club to go backwards further

rexel

Debutant
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Port Douglas at full strength will not lose this year. Their demolition of North Cairns shows how far behind some teams actually are. I travelled down to Fretwell Park on the weekend and have to say that Centrals looked better than I thought they would be in 2017. They outran cutters all day and used the ball so much more effectively. Cutters were very disappointing. The hawks win against the Lions was of no surprise.

brrrrrrr

Debutant
Jul 5, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Yeah Port should go all the way relatively unchallenged this season.
After last weeks effort from centrals against saints I had Souths penciled in but looks like they will do what they have done consistently the past 10 years and finish 3rd/4th and exit 1st week or 2 of finals.
Looking at the lions v hawks score line it looks as though they relatively matched them for a qtr or 2 after after letting them kick 10 goals in the 1st.
My ladder at the start of the season looked like this
Port
Souths
Centrals
Saints
Manunda
Norths
Lions
However unsure on Souths now and reckon centrals will finish 2nd with saints 3rd and Souths 4th.
At least there will be a bit of competition for 3 of the top 4 spots

rexel

Debutant
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Yeah Port should go all the way relatively unchallenged this season.
After last weeks effort from centrals against saints I had Souths penciled in but looks like they will do what they have done consistently the past 10 years and finish 3rd/4th and exit 1st week or 2 of finals.
Looking at the lions v hawks score line it looks as though they relatively matched them for a qtr or 2 after after letting them kick 10 goals in the 1st.
My ladder at the start of the season looked like this
Port
Souths
Centrals
Saints
Manunda
Norths
Lions
However unsure on Souths now and reckon centrals will finish 2nd with saints 3rd and Souths 4th.
At least there will be a bit of competition for 3 of the top 4 spots

South have the players but they were made to look slow and their ball use was very ordinary. Maybe a good lesson early in the season that they have to go to play every week and stay in the game. Too many players were selective when it came to running defensively and the coach was as guilty as any of them. When they are switched on, I still think they are a 5-6 goal better side than both Saints and Centrals.

Lachrilly

All Australian
May 17, 2007
Cairns
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
South have the players but they were made to look slow and their ball use was very ordinary. Maybe a good lesson interesting in the season that they have to go to play every week and stay in the game. Too many players were selective when it came to running defensively and the coach was as guilty as any of them. When they are switched on, I still think they are a 5-6 goal better side than both Saints and Centrals.
Was it just a poor day for Souths or were CTB that good. Doubt Souths will let that happen again and will bounce back quickly. If im wrong then it makes for an interesting season ahead.

brrrrrrr

Debutant
Jul 5, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
I was told by a couple of centrals players that it was the best game they have played in the past couple years.
New recruits and current stock must be gelling together after 4-6 weeks full training together

rexel

Debutant
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
I was told by a couple of centrals players that it was the best game they have played in the past couple years.
New recruits and current stock must be gelling together after 4-6 weeks full training together

I am still going to reserve judgement on Centrals. South were very ordinary and I think it was in part due to Centrals hard run and pressure but also attitudes from South players were poor. Would like to see South at their best against Pt. Douglas and Centrals before judging the opposition.

brrrrrrr

Debutant
Jul 5, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Yeah I wasn't a fan of centrals at the start of the season and could of been Souths playing s**t that made centrals look the goods.
They seem to enjoy paying a fair bit of coin to finish 3rd-4th every season.
Is making finals and going out 1st week every season really worth spending 100k+ a year ?

rexel

Debutant
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Yeah I wasn't a fan of centrals at the start of the season and could of been Souths playing s**t that made centrals look the goods.
They seem to enjoy paying a fair bit of coin to finish 3rd-4th every season.
Is making finals and going out 1st week every season really worth spending 100k+ a year ?

Absolutely not. They have come back a long from three years ago though which is good for the comp.

Lachrilly

All Australian
May 17, 2007
Cairns
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
Absolutely not. They have come back a long from three years ago though which is good for the comp.
If you are paying that much then you need to be winning flags. Finishing 3rd or 4th isnt good enough. You might as well play your kids or your players you have givèn service to the club over the years if thats the case.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

rexel

Debutant
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
If you are paying that much then you need to be winning flags. Finishing 3rd or 4th isnt good enough. You might as well play your kids or your players you have givèn service to the club over the years if thats the case.

Agree totally and the sooner clubs start doing that the better. Better to pay a quality coach who can develop and teach the juniors and locals rather than recruit players on big money, have to find them accommodation and employment and they don't have the clubs future at heart.

brrrrrrr

Debutant
Jul 5, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
It's a fine line I guess. City lions had started tasting success when they started spending a bit of money and recruited from down south however you look now and they are back to where they were 5/6 years ago.

rexel

Debutant
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
It's a fine line I guess. City lions had started tasting success when they started spending a bit of money and recruited from down south however you look now and they are back to where they were 5/6 years ago.
A lot of leagues are now banning FIFO players which Lions have been doing over the last couple of years. They are now making clubs confirm local residency of players registered to clubs. We all know there is no easy solution for any clubs but it would appear that the clubs with good administration, coaching and clubrooms with poker machines have a greater chance of success.

brrrrrrr

Debutant
Jul 5, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Too true !! I have heard from several former lions and current that that was the whole reason for all this walkout ( coaching and admin ).
Don't know if any truth to the rumour but also heard that incoming admin/coach got told by outgoing admin there was 60k+ In the account to spend on possible recruitment etc etc. however when the account was checked there was next to nothing in there which I find hard to believe when each club receives 33k from afl cairns don't they ?

Apr 8, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Please don't reply if you have nothing to add that is constructive. Simply looking for help from locals that know this league and club facilities. Recently moved to Cairns. Want to get back on the field after blowing out an ankle early in the season last year and missed the rest of the season after having reconstructive surgery. Do any clubs here run any sort of rehabilitation / injury management program to help their players or if any have any physio's in place and will be best at helping me get back on the field? Cheers in advance.

jorgo21

Debutant
Aug 29, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Please don't reply if you have nothing to add that is constructive. Simply looking for help from locals that know this league and club facilities. Recently moved to Cairns. Want to get back on the field after blowing out an ankle early in the season last year and missed the rest of the season after having reconstructive surgery. Do any clubs here run any sort of rehabilitation / injury management program to help their players or if any have any physio's in place and will be best at helping me get back on the field? Cheers in advance.

North Cairns has a professional physio at training every Thursday night for a few hours, as well as game day. Laura does assessments and develops rehab/management programs for injured players.

If interested in more info, send me a PM and I'd be happy to answer any other questions.

brrrrrrr

Debutant
Jul 5, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
I think you will find most clubs will be more than accomodating irregardless of skills/ability or even if not going to play a game for the season. If your not familiar with the league or where teams are located in your area then jump on afl cairns website and have a look at some locations. I personally know personnel at South cutters , north cairns , manunda hawks ,cairns city lions and trinity beach and would like to think all would be more than welcoming and will all have some physio/rehab connections.
Hope this helps

Apr 8, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
I think you will find most clubs will be more than accomodating irregardless of skills/ability or even if not going to play a game for the season. If your not familiar with the league or where teams are located in your area then jump on afl cairns website and have a look at some locations. I personally know personnel at South cutters , north cairns , manunda hawks ,cairns city lions and trinity beach and would like to think all would be more than welcoming and will all have some physio/rehab connections.
Hope this helps

Cheers mate.

rexel

Debutant
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong

Cairns Saints have by far the best medical support for players

jorgo21

Debutant
Aug 29, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Cairns Saints have by far the best medical support for players

What kind of support do they provide that make them head and shoulders above the rest? Not challenging your statement, just interested to know where the bar is set as far as medical support goes.

brrrrrrr

Debutant
Jul 5, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Do any of you gentleman know where clubs buy their yellow training footys ? Anywhere in cairns ?
I'm looking to donate a few to one of our local colts team

rexel

Debutant
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
What kind of support do they provide that make them head and shoulders above the rest? Not challenging your statement, just interested to know where the bar is set as far as medical support goes.

They have a number of qualified medical staff with strong support from one of the best physios in Cairns who is available to players every day not just at training. Just a personal view but I know of three players that have gone to the club for that very reason.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back