All Australian
May 17, 2007
Cairns
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
Anyone else see a cricket score line up in port today against the lions ? 2-350

You wernt far off. Looks like a very one sided season unfortunately with the only real contests when the top 2 and bottom 2 play each other and CTB,Saints and Hawks. Most other games will be 100+ margins which is sad to see

brrrrrrr

Debutant
Jul 5, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Afl cairns has been here before and dare say this won't be the last time a team is in this situation. There is a positive way to look at it I guess. There will be 3 small battles going on throughout the season with a battle for top 2 with port centrals and Souths.
Battle for 4th between hawks and saints
Battle to stay off the bottom with lions and tigers.
I take my hat off to the lions boys that are still there and the ones that have come over from other clubs who keep showing up week in week out. I heard a rumour they only started and played with 18 players on Saturday too !!

brrrrrrr

Debutant
Jul 5, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Teams released today. Emails sent out to players on the Friday. No real surprises with port , Souths and centrals making up 70% of the selected. Who selects these players or are they nominated ? Oliver Koch has played 40 mins of senior football his career. The kid is an undeniable talent but does that warrant selection alone ?

avidwatcher

Draftee
May 15, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Teams released today. Emails sent out to players on the Friday. No real surprises with port , Souths and centrals making up 70% of the selected. Who selects these players or are they nominated ? Oliver Koch has played 40 mins of senior football his career. The kid is an undeniable talent but does that warrant selection alone ?

Hi all, long time watcher of this forum and the league, first time poster. Just saw the rep sides announced. Very confused with some omissions and selections for both sides. No disrespect but Craig Waldon, Luke anning, Chris novy, Ryan lempa, Joel Karwin in the 40 best non indigenous players in the league? I don't think so.

No jack philp from saints, no Tim Mcauley from centrals, no Boe Halter from hawks, no Wes glass or Brett McKewon from Port? No Toby fatnowna for the indigenous lads? Could go on with a few more players from all the clubs stiff to miss out.

gee5

Rookie
Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hi all, long time watcher of this forum and the league, first time poster. Just saw the rep sides announced. Very confused with some omissions and selections for both sides. No disrespect but Craig Waldon, Luke anning, Chris novy, Ryan lempa, Joel Karwin in the 40 best non indigenous players in the league? I don't think so.

No jack philp from saints, no Tim Mcauley from centrals, no Boe Halter from hawks, no Wes glass or Brett McKewon from Port? No Toby fatnowna for the indigenous lads? Could go on with a few more players from all the clubs stiff to miss out.
Been watching most of the games this year, the non indigenous team look very strong. Ryan lempa deserves his spot in the team very good off half back. Olvia koch is a young lad and up and coming star they probably want to develop him. Joel karwin has been playing well for the hawks in the midfield ex neafl player. Ryan flint was very unlucky, jack Phillip agree very unlucky. They want a mix of young and older players to develop cairns footy but both squads look very strong can't wait for the hitout.

jake6314

Draftee
May 15, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon

Hi everyone.

First time poster on this forum. Both rep teams look very strong, a mix of young players and older players witch is very good for cairns footy. Cmon mate have you been keeping an eye on the cairns footy, yes there was a lot of players that missed out but they can only pick 40. Ryan Lempa is a gun for centrals great skills and has an engine on him. Chris Nova and Joel Karwin both new recruits from down south and have been playing very well for there clubs. Tim mcauley very stiff to miss out, Ryan flint aswell. Afl cairns want to have a mix of new recruits and players that have been around for a while. I think it's great they picked Sean babia and Oliver Koch, will develop them and will get experience at a higher level witch is great. Can't wait to watch the game, going All stars by 20 points.

brrrrrrr

Debutant
Jul 5, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Im going all stars by a lot more. Pretty weak indigenous side named with a bit of talent left out. However I suspect chapple won't risk playing which might bring the 2 teams closer

tamba

Club Legend
Oct 17, 2007
In my MAN Cave
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
South Cairns Cutters
watching yesterday at Fretwell park , Hawks jumped to a 7 - 1 goal lead in the 1st quarter, from then on it was the Manunda steam train express. Souths were slow , oh so slow in attack and mainly in defense. From the balcony on many many occasions it was seen Hawks had 3 loose players in Souths forward line. The noticeable one was squatting, (setting up a camp site) on our Centre Half Forward Line.
Very sorry to say this about the team I follow - but there are 3 players who should not be playing in Seniors anymore they are too olde and slow to react and that is not just from my view, a number of long term supporters also voiced this in comments during the game. OK it was said that Souths had 7 players that will come back into the team but with what they had on paper this side should of kicked Manunda's A. During this round Souths have NOT beaten a top 4 team. Flogged by Port Douglas, Centrals & now Hawks. They need to extract the Ipods from the ears, as they have Saints @ home in 3 weeks time when they play again. (Bye round , Rep game then Saints)

brrrrrrr

Debutant
Jul 5, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Manunda are no slouches this season Tamba. I didn't rate them at the start but look to be well drilled under Marc harbrow. Your boys should bounce back and definitely roll a very placid saints easy in a couple weeks time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lachrilly

All Australian
May 17, 2007
Cairns
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
Season is over imo. Port wont lose all season unless they rest half their side. Its only a matter of who plays them. Souths CTB or even Hawks a chance. Saints had 14 out on Sat night i heard and quite a few long term so you can probably count them out. Good to see 6 or 7 colts getting a game which hasnt been seen at the club before

rexel

Debutant
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
watching yesterday at Fretwell park , Hawks jumped to a 7 - 1 goal lead in the 1st quarter, from then on it was the Manunda steam train express. Souths were slow , oh so slow in attack and mainly in defense. From the balcony on many many occasions it was seen Hawks had 3 loose players in Souths forward line. The noticeable one was squatting, (setting up a camp site) on our Centre Half Forward Line.
Very sorry to say this about the team I follow - but there are 3 players who should not be playing in Seniors anymore they are too olde and slow to react and that is not just from my view, a number of long term supporters also voiced this in comments during the game. OK it was said that Souths had 7 players that will come back into the team but with what they had on paper this side should of kicked Manunda's A. During this round Souths have NOT beaten a top 4 team. Flogged by Port Douglas, Centrals & now Hawks. They need to extract the Ipods from the ears, as they have Saints @ home in 3 weeks time when they play again. (Bye round , Rep game then Saints)

rexel

Debutant
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Hi Tamba, Agree with your comments. Watched South play most games this year and the game style will not win them a flag. Watched them closely against Saints a few weeks ago after they were convincing beaten by Centrals at home. They were obsessed with slowing the game down, retaining possession and playing wide. Exactly the style that has seen the saints struggle poorly this year. They play a side with genuine quick ball movement (Centrals, Port Douglas, even Manunda) who are prepared to use the corridor and they will be exposed badly. Cannot believe how slowly they move the ball forward or the fact they still play players with no pace who are even slower when they need to chase and apply defensive pressure. Don't want to come across as a know all, just giving you my thoughts.

rexel

Debutant
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Season is over imo. Port wont lose all season unless they rest half their side. Its only a matter of who plays them. Souths CTB or even Hawks a chance. Saints had 14 out on Sat night i heard and quite a few long term so you can probably count them out. Good to see 6 or 7 colts getting a game which hasnt been seen at the club before

rexel

Debutant
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Season is definitely lopsided and I don't think it is going to get better as the season gets longer. Anyone else heard the rumour that the Lions have lost more players who are not happy that they are not receiving what has been promised in the way of match payments. If true, how long before the league finally step in and sort this mess out. Or is the league general manager going to continue to bury his head in the sand.

rexel

Debutant
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Imagine that as a precedent. People stuff up a footy club and the governing body is expected to fix it up.
Nothing to do with the league fixing a clubs problems by bailing them out. More like making the hard decisions which could include exiting them from the league.

Tigers35

Rookie
Feb 7, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Was for a behind the play incident, a saints player was left with a broken jaw and also lost employment due to surgery . That's what The Cairns Post reported.

andrewsmithycuz

Debutant
Jan 22, 2017
AFL Club
Sydney
Im going all stars by a lot more. Pretty weak indigenous side named with a bit of talent left out. However I suspect chapple won't risk playing which might bring the 2 teams closer

how much does the average player get per game and do reserves get paid, whats the standard of the league like these days?

rexel

Debutant
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
how much does the average player get per game and do reserves get paid, whats the standard of the league like these days?
Clubs pay players but not at reserves level. There is a history of some clubs not meeting their part of the contract when it comes to actually paying the players. Comp is very lopsided. Probably three successful teams and the rest just making up the numbers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back