AFL CAIRNS 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Moro_

Debutant
Apr 7, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Essendon
I hear some disturbing news from up Cairns way. My man in the North tells me a story about a reserve grade player who recently threatened a 16 year old Umpire that he "would see him in the car park" after being yellow carded. The most disturbing aspect of this is that this tough guy only received a 4 week suspension. Surely AFL Cairns would see this penalty is far too lenient for someone who threatens an umpire ..... let alone a 16 year old kid

The player in question should be ashamed and his club should also hang their heads in shame if they have not given an "in house" penalty to this tough guy

Lachrilly

All Australian
May 17, 2007
Cairns
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
Clubs pay players but not at reserves level. There is a history of some clubs not meeting their part of the contract when it comes to actually paying the players. Comp is very lopsided. Probably three successful teams and the rest just making up the numbers.
Who's the third successful team. Surely Port and Saints would be the first 2. Hawks are the only other team in the last 10yrs to win a flag so it cant be CTB or Souths.

Lachrilly

All Australian
May 17, 2007
Cairns
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
I hear some disturbing news from up Cairns way. My man in the North tells me a story about a reserve grade player who recently threatened a 16 year old Umpire that he "would see him in the car park" after being yellow carded. The most disturbing aspect of this is that this tough guy only received a 4 week suspension. Surely AFL Cairns would see this penalty is far too lenient for someone who threatens an umpire ..... let alone a 16 year old kid

The player in question should be ashamed and his club should also hang their heads in shame if they have not given an "in house" penalty to this tough guy

Totally agree. 4 weeks isn't nearly enough. No wonder we are always short of umpires with idiots like this running around playing

rexel

Debutant
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Who's the third successful team. Surely Port and Saints would be the first 2. Hawks are the only other team in the last 10yrs to win a flag so it cant be CTB or Souths.
I was only referencing this season. I believe the only teams capable of winning the flag are Pt. Douglas, Centrals and Cutters as a distant third. Whilst it is good to see the Hawks improving, they are a long way back in fourth. Saints, Tigers and Lions are very ordinary.

rexel

Debutant
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong

If this is true and it must be if he has been suspended then he should have received a minimum of 10 weeks and the club should be fined as well.

Moro_

Debutant
Apr 7, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Essendon
If this is true and it must be if he has been suspended then he should have received a minimum of 10 weeks and the club should be fined as well.

I can assure you this is a true story ....... I did leave out the fact that said "tough Guy" "Shaped up" to the young umpire before threatening him. He then received a red card from the other umpire.

I agree though the club should have been fined but I think even 10 weeks is lenient for this ....... but it would have been better than 4 weeks

all ok

Debutant
Jun 5, 2014
FNQ
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I can assure you this is a true story ....... I did leave out the fact that said "tough Guy" "Shaped up" to the young umpire before threatening him. He then received a red card from the other umpire.

I agree though the club should have been fined but I think even 10 weeks is lenient for this ....... but it would have been better than 4 weeks
Probably the reason why AFL Cairns reps are doing the rounds of all clubs this week with umpire abuse as the agenda. It's not just Cairns - a TSL umpire in Hobart was assaulted in town after a match on Saturday night by a so-called "supporter" of a club - front page news in The Mercury.

Lachrilly

All Australian
May 17, 2007
Cairns
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
I was only referencing this season. I believe the only teams capable of winning the flag are Pt. Douglas, Centrals and Cutters as a distant third. Whilst it is good to see the Hawks improving, they are a long way back in fourth. Saints, Tigers and Lions are very ordinary.

Port is so far out in front its not funny. It's just a matter of who they will smash in the GF Souths or CTB. And your right Saints,Norths and Lions are ordinary but Saints have improved of late so dont count them out just yet.

brrrrrrr

Debutant
Jul 5, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
I believe the hawks could match it with the top 3 with the lack of big men there only downfall this season however could shock one of the above mentioned top 3 come finals. As for the saints improvement if they don't put away lions by 200+ ( which seems to be the yardstick at the moment ) this weekend then they are a long way off the current top 4.
Rexel I did hear that lions lost their captain due to irreconcilable differences with the club and in turn his brother and brother in law left with him. No real losses in terms of talent however losing 3 players when you can't name a starting 18 each week hurts a lot

rexel

Debutant
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
I believe the hawks could match it with the top 3 with the lack of big men there only downfall this season however could shock one of the above mentioned top 3 come finals. As for the saints improvement if they don't put away lions by 200+ ( which seems to be the yardstick at the moment ) this weekend then they are a long way off the current top 4.
Rexel I did hear that lions lost their captain due to irreconcilable differences with the club and in turn his brother and brother in law left with him. No real losses in terms of talent however losing 3 players when you can't name a starting 18 each week hurts a lot
Agreed, My mail is that it was a money dispute which is why all three left. They cannot go much lower as a club and we all hope that they can hang in there and see the season out.

rexel

Debutant
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong

The Hawks are an interesting team. They have certainly put some distance between them and the bottom two teams but they still don't have the discipline or fitness to match either centrals or Pt. Douglas. I personally think Cutters are going backward and the Saints are only capable of beating teams below them (as they should). For me its Pt. Douglas by a mile followed by Centrals and then who cares from there.

Lachrilly

All Australian
May 17, 2007
Cairns
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
The Hawks are an interesting team. They have certainly put some distance between them and the bottom two teams but they still don't have the discipline or fitness to match either centrals or Pt. Douglas. I personally think Cutters are going backward and the Saints are only capable of beating teams below them (as they should). For me its Pt. Douglas by a mile followed by Centrals and then who cares from there.

Spot on Rexel. Maybe Souths have finally realized that trying to recruit a flag isn't working and trying to blood some of their kids is the way to go. Might make them a few years off a flag but better in the long run. Saints are going down the same path and surely this is only good for the FNQ kids going forward. Port could easily do what Saints have done and play in 6-10 GF in a row the way they are going.

Lachrilly

All Australian
May 17, 2007
Cairns
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
Apparently Sam Conroy broke his leg and did his good knee on Saturday in his comeback in the ressies. Rhys Bridge seemed to have hurt his shoulder or collarbone as well. Couple of big losses and makes Port's run to the flag even easier.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

rexel

Debutant
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Apparently Sam Conroy broke his leg and did his good knee on Saturday in his comeback in the ressies. Rhys Bridge seemed to have hurt his shoulder or collarbone as well. Couple of big losses and makes Port's run to the flag even easier.
They are big losses. Centrals are still the only team I see that will challenge Port Douglas. The pressure will build for Port Douglas come finals to go through undefeated. They fell out in straight sets two years ago and I suspect that have learnt plenty since then.

So this AaronDavey signing for the Lions could be pretty big for a club that's really shot itself in the foot the past few seasons.
Aaron will only be in his second year of coaching and the side he currently coaches is 5th of nine.

Are the league helping pay for his wage?
There's information going around that he is getting around $500 a game an $1000 if they win???

I'd double those figures and then some.

It's amazing what some pokies can do to a club if used properly.

Nice to see the league making sure that there's equality for all clubs, after the hawks being allowed to sign up to 6 Lions players at the start of the season without incurring any penalties how will this tide for the rest of us?

rexel

Debutant
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
So this AaronDavey signing for the Lions could be pretty big for a club that's really shot itself in the foot the past few seasons.
Aaron will only be in his second year of coaching and the side he currently coaches is 5th of nine.

Are the league helping pay for his wage?
There's information going around that he is getting around $500 a game an $1000 if they win???
Just because he has played AFL at the highest level doesn't make him an instant success as coach up here. I watched him earlier in the season as a guest player and he was very selective as to how hard he went and when he won the ball. Cairns city lions need a coach that can teach as well as attract players to the club. He may have contacts of AFL players but I doubt whether they will get paid in the end.

andrewsmithycuz

Debutant
Jan 22, 2017
AFL Club
Sydney
how does the afl cairns standard match up against those of country nsw/vic or even sydney competitions. I have heard it is quite strong and it being a semi pro league but is still in a rugby league dominated area although seems there is a reasonable following ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back