afl canberra 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the separation will happen at Belconnen organically, in that I doubt very much there will be a 3/4s side next year as there just won't be the players around. I'm very surprised they lasted this long this year. It's not out of bitterness, it's just that the world has changed.

Last year on the way back from Coota, I saw a group of guys in Temora gear eating at Maccas at Yass. All of them live in Canberra but travel back of a weekend to play. All of them get looked after with fuel and some spending money, sometimes they stay in town for the night and sometimes they head back to Canberra for work or uni exams. There is probably heaps of young guys doing the same thing every weekend.

I realised then that there is no way country boys are going to stick around and play 3s and 4s at a Canberra club and pay $200+ in rego when they can go back home for the weekend and play with their mates and see their family. It's not a slight at clubs having to charge rego or any of the clubs culture, it's just life in 2018.

I really don't see how you compete with that if the blokes aren't club juniors and there aren't always enough juniors playing on to fill a whole side.

Just saw on FB that Murrumbateman are putting in a div 4 team next year !!! Wonder where they will get there players from maybe some Belco/Jets old players ?

News travels fast , actually it’s a fair mixture of old and new players , past and present . The coach I believe has played for both the Jets and Cootamundra in theCanberra comp

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

News travels fast , actually it’s a fair mixture of old and new players , past and present . The coach I believe has played for both the Jets and Cootamundra in theCanberra comp

That’s fantastic to see. Another country team expanding the afl Canberra comp. hopefully they bring a lot of new players in aswell.

Something tells me you have something to do with it southcab. The quiet change of logos looks good though mate lol but good to have you back in whatever way as you obviously had a lot of influence on the success at Yass and still follow the league very closely. Would like to know where the players will come from and if they can sign a couple to get them going. Goodluck to you though mate.

That’s fantastic to see. Another country team expanding the afl Canberra comp. hopefully they bring a lot of new players in aswell.

Something tells me you have something to do with it southcab. The quiet change of logos looks good though mate lol but good to have you back in whatever way as you obviously had a lot of influence on the success at Yass and still follow the league very closely. Would like to know where the players will come from and if they can sign a couple to get them going. Goodluck to you though mate.

Hey hammo80
Yes mate happy to say I’ve signed on as an assistant coach for the inaugural season . Numbers are quite strong so far and giving that it has only just been advertised I believe they will improve . There were and are a few things the league required before allowing us to go forward with the intention to nominate . And as those have now been satisfied it’s onward and upward from here .
Andy Ingold is the president and will also coach the side , he is a very passionate person and is keen to get things up and running in the right way. There is know footy code at all in Murrumbateman so the timing is right and with expectations of the town growing to 10,000 all bodes well for a future.
Afl Canberra have provided new goal posts and Yass council are upgrading the local show grounds as we speak. As for players the club has signed 18 players so far who didn’t play this season in the act comp , there are a couple who signed that did or are currently playing with other clubs in Canberra this season as well . And for the person who inboxed me Know no current Yass Roos players have signed with Murrumbateman

Hey hammo80
Yes mate happy to say I’ve signed on as an assistant coach for the inaugural season . Numbers are quite strong so far and giving that it has only just been advertised I believe they will improve . There were and are a few things the league required before allowing us to go forward with the intention to nominate . And as those have now been satisfied it’s onward and upward from here .
Andy Ingold is the president and will also coach the side , he is a very passionate person and is keen to get things up and running in the right way. There is know footy code at all in Murrumbateman so the timing is right and with expectations of the town growing to 10,000 all bodes well for a future.
Afl Canberra have provided new goal posts and Yass council are upgrading the local show grounds as we speak. As for players the club has signed 18 players so far who didn’t play this season in the act comp , there are a couple who signed that did or are currently playing with other clubs in Canberra this season as well . And for the person who inboxed me Know no current Yass Roos players have signed with Murrumbateman

Awesome news for district footy. Hopefully your home ground will have the little quirks that give you an advantage. Like Cooma's cricket pitch and kangaroo turds, Cootas soft oval or Yass's hill all best parts of district footy.

Obviously going off the logo you are going to be the Eagles?

Hey mate horsey campaigners have a brand new million dollar arena next to the Showgrounds .so the new refurbished oval is in know danger

Yeah I know all that. Still, horsey campaigners are gonna horsey campaigner. The only way you'll keep em off it is planting a patch of Patterson's curse in the forward pocket.

Interested to know why 3pts? Did Belco miss the Bylaws stating you can’t play guys down from higher grades if you have a bye? (Attachment B, Section 1.5)

Or was there some other reason a team that gets beaten by close to a 100 every week, suddenly loses narrowly?

Can get dispensation from the league to play blokes who've played a higher grade the week before, I believe? We certainly requested a couple who had played a game of 2s last week as their first back from injury in a while but were denied.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes you can...a maximum of 3 blokes.

Not the 6 Belconnen fielded.

But not the first, or last time AFL Canberra print rules then just make changes on the fly I suppose!

This league seems to bend a few rules lately. Did they field 6? And if so, wasn’t there talk about this was the reason Belconnen we’re playing 3s so they could drop blokes. As we know they have had blokes doubling up just to field a side in that grade this year. If they are dropping there own 3s last night for 2s, that’s a problem. But looking at that side, they are slowing dying and struggling for numbers so is dropping players like that on the basis that a game can be played rather then forfeiting more appropriate. At the end of the day, they’ve played 6 twos (if you are correct) and still lost so that shows how far off that grade they are.

All this talk about the big four going to a different comp aswell, can’t happen if Belconnen and Eastlake don’t field lower grade sides. You need depth to travel and compete in those competitions. I’m already worried for Belconnen and Eastlake if they don’t even field a lower grade side next year in the AFL Canberra competition.

This league seems to bend a few rules lately. Did they field 6? And if so, wasn’t there talk about this was the reason Belconnen we’re playing 3s so they could drop blokes. As we know they have had blokes doubling up just to field a side in that grade this year. If they are dropping there own 3s last night for 2s, that’s a problem. But looking at that side, they are slowing dying and struggling for numbers so is dropping players like that on the basis that a game can be played rather then forfeiting more appropriate. At the end of the day, they’ve played 6 twos (if you are correct) and still lost so that shows how far off that grade they are.

All this talk about the big four going to a different comp aswell, can’t happen if Belconnen and Eastlake don’t field lower grade sides. You need depth to travel and compete in those competitions. I’m already worried for Belconnen and Eastlake if they don’t even field a lower grade side next year in the AFL Canberra competition.

Eastlake are first year back in the district comp, it's always going to take time. Had some good young blokes first time we played them, and then some older heads who cracked in pretty well last week. They should get a few more out of the woodwork for next season, as well as a few more kids from Marist/Eastlake 18s that don't go to 1s/2s...

Not every team in the lower grades is going to be good every year, as much as we'd like them to be.

It was my understanding that when Belconnen submitted a team sheet on Wednesday night several players were removed by the league .

That put Belconnen into a ring around position . On the flip side of the coin how many Queanbeyan twos played ? I know of a couple who were sent out there to play for googong .

From what I’ve heard Belconnen only had 10 regular 3s players available and had to do a ring around and grab 2s players just to field a side And googong had a few Queanbeyan players aswell

From what I’ve heard Belconnen only had 10 regular 3s players available and had to do a ring around and grab 2s players just to field a side And googong had a few Queanbeyan players aswell

I know Belconnen asked to change the game to a Friday night . But googong couldn’t accomodate that request .

That was just comparing last weeks Div 2 named side to those named last night.

What I would say though, is not how bad they’re still going, but with those 6 they went from a likely 100pt loss to only a 5 pt loss!

Regardless, the rules are clear, but it seems it’s different if you’re a big 4 with a struggling team in Div 3?

What if Googong has lost? Knocking on the door of a finals birth, or if Eastlake do ANU tomorrow, who are in a tight fight for positions 4-6?

So what? Screw the stand alone, traditional Div 3 sides (and Ainslie...since Lemmo was denied permission for some 2s)?

Googong? A finals chance? They are still 3 games out and everyone has a game in hand. I still stick with my argument that teams need to be feeding 2s down otherwise they are never going to match the likes of Woden/ANU/ADFA/Molonglo. Honestly if Belconnen played there same side against a top 4 side last night they still would have lost by 60+ if they only lost to Googong by 5.

And no I don’t want to screw the stand alone clubs. The four I mentioned above are a mile ahead of anyone else in the 3rd grade competition and I don’t think anything is going to stop that in the next few years. All I can see is Eastlake/Belconnen going goodbye and they will hurt not just there clubs but AFL Canberra.

And there you go. Thanks grassxutter. As I thought they’ve done a ring around to find players with only 10 reagulars available. I’m sorry Headshed22 but if you’re telling me that you’d rather them forfeit over getting 2s and playing a game then you’re headless.

Seems pretty clear that googong should be made to play second grade next year. To beat a side absolutely stacked with second grade players shows they will be more than competitive. Time to embrace the challenge gents.

Like the sarcasm spoiler , be interesting to see what happens with googong qbn alliance next year , what with qbn nominating a div three side .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back