AFL Canberra 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Any praccy results so far? We're playing ANU this weekend in a combined 3s/4s fixture after a couple of internal trials in the last few weeks.

Any praccy results so far? We're playing ANU this weekend in a combined 3s/4s fixture after a couple of internal trials in the last few weeks.

Murrumbateman playing Gungahlin 2s on Sunday at the Enclosed. 3pm start for anyone interested.

AFL Canberra again with the immaculate organisational skills. Believe Googong V Woden DIV 3 & 4 that was slated for April 6, is now going ahead on the 14 April (decision made yesterday). Yet the Womens Div 2 games are going ahead on the 6th.

How is it possible that an administration can consistently be soooo piss poor

AFL Canberra again with the immaculate organisational skills. Believe Googong V Woden DIV 3 & 4 that was slated for April 6, is now going ahead on the 14 April (decision made yesterday). Yet the Womens Div 2 games are going ahead on the 6th.

How is it possible that an administration can consistently be soooo piss poor

So the draft draw is expected by the end of the week

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Just wondering how teams are going for numbers ? According to the clearance page most of the players transferring to M bateman are from Belconnen .However there doesn't seem enough players cleared to there .

Just wondering how teams are going for numbers ? According to the clearance page most of the players transferring to M bateman are from Belconnen .However there doesn't seem enough players cleared to there .

Some blokes have never played before so thus won't be on the clearances. We've got a squad to pick from.

I wouldn’t rely too much on the clearance page mate , it’s a long way behind . How are the southern cats going for numbers .

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

AFL Canberra and those in the big Canberra clubs might not care or think too much about country clubs but, there are people that really care about their clubs and AFL in these areas. The regional grade will slowly kill off teams/players and those clubs will cease to exist. AFL Canberra has shown little to no interest in organising or planning for these teams. We just pay our bills and sit in the corner till we’re told what to do. They are seriously very poorly run and it seems they won’t be happy until every club has an even amount of teams and they can have their vanilla competition.

AFL Canberra and those in the big Canberra clubs might not care or think too much about country clubs but, there are people that really care about their clubs and AFL in these areas. The regional grade will slowly kill off teams/players and those clubs will cease to exist. AFL Canberra has shown little to no interest in organising or planning for these teams. We just pay our bills and sit in the corner till we’re told what to do. They are seriously very poorly run and it seems they won’t be happy until every club has an even amount of teams and they can have their vanilla competition.

Is there a start date for the regional grade?

Still frustrating that there is no indication of the draw for the regional grade. Especially when there is so much travel involved for those playing in the grade. I think the league has a lot to answer for in terms of their care factor for these lower divisions. How much notice did Ainslie get to travel to the Bay this weekend? I think it's a valid to be asking these questions when teams like Coota will be travelling 2 hours certain weeks and have no indication of when and where they'll be playing less than three weeks out from competition. All of this could've been avoided by having those two 10 team competitions that would've stopped having three really vanilla lower grade competitions. That said Googong over ANU in 4s was a pleasant surprise. A bit windy out at Rockley?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still frustrating that there is no indication of the draw for the regional grade. Especially when there is so much travel involved for those playing in the grade. I think the league has a lot to answer for in terms of their care factor for these lower divisions. How much notice did Ainslie get to travel to the Bay this weekend? I think it's a valid to be asking these questions when teams like Coota will be travelling 2 hours certain weeks and have no indication of when and where they'll be playing less than three weeks out from competition. All of this could've been avoided by having those two 10 team competitions that would've stopped having three really vanilla lower grade competitions. That said Googong over ANU in 4s was a pleasant surprise. A bit windy out at Rockley?
All grades are pretty vanilla being all only 6/7 team comps

Has any decision that they have made concerning regional grade been a good idea? I would say not
The decision is 'good' for the clubs that have a 3's, 4's and women's teams. They are able to pull all of their resources for game day which makes things easier.

The decision is 'bad' for all of the single team clubs and for the future of footy in the towns close to Canberra. By bringing back a competition with hours of travel every second week will kill off the clubs that are already struggling. A lot of players in the regional grades I would see as tradies where working a Saturday for half a day is standard rather than an option. Or blokes who are playing footy with their mates and don't want the commitment of higher levels and want to drink and have plans for a weekend. They aren't looking to travel 3 hours to play a game of footy.

IMO the fixture that they had last year only required some mild tweaks to ensure resources weren't stretched. The single team clubs would have had to just adapt just like they now have to in regionals.

The decision is 'good' for the clubs that have a 3's, 4's and women's teams. They are able to pull all of their resources for game day which makes things easier.

The decision is 'bad' for all of the single team clubs and for the future of footy in the towns close to Canberra. By bringing back a competition with hours of travel every second week will kill off the clubs that are already struggling. A lot of players in the regional grades I would see as tradies where working a Saturday for half a day is standard rather than an option. Or blokes who are playing footy with their mates and don't want the commitment of higher levels and want to drink and have plans for a weekend. They aren't looking to travel 3 hours to play a game of footy.

IMO the fixture that they had last year only required some mild tweaks to ensure resources weren't stretched. The single team clubs would have had to just adapt just like they now have to in regionals.

Totally agree with all of this. I should have been clearer. I was thinking in terms of the growth of AFL mens playing numbers and teams in the competition. Could have been thinking more broadly, although I'm not real concerned with the 2 team clubs having stretched resources... would have thought twice the player numbers means twice the pool of resources to draw from (families, friends etc) but have to recognize everyone would prefer their clubs play at the same place same day. Just don't think it's worth it for the possible killing of other clubs.

So looks like Goulburn don't have team based on the latest draft? Massive shame as they have had some really good players down the stretch and now it looks like Ainslie have entered. Can anyone answer whether that is their fourth grade or another team?

Given Ainslie 4's have already played once in 4th Grade that would really throw curve balls into the mix. However I haven't seen anything that indicates Goulburn aren't going to play?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back