AFL Canberra 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

I had a quick look at the lists on SportsTG just then, doesn't seem anything too outrageous from a qualifying perspective? 3 players on the list that had only played 3 games of Regional, but 2 of those hadn't played anything else at all this season. One had played 5 games in 2s, so I guess you could argue that they shouldn't qualify. Otherwise everyone appeared to meet the qualification requirements and even those who had played some 2s this season had played more in Regional than 2s and had met the minimum 4 games requirements?

I'm sure that there's more to this than I can work out from here, but an clear explanation would be great. I hate Belco as much as the next Ainslie bloke, but I'd like to know the full story.

Edit: I guess the final counts as a game in SportsTG too, so those 3 would have played 2 only before the match. Still the only 3 with qualification issues I can see.

I was at that game and seen the argument first hand . It was the three players you mention that the swans queried. The swans were also told that Cummings and Brad Armstrong couldn’t play because there names were on team list that they actually didn’t play in and therefore had only played three games not the 4 you need . My questions would be 1 how did the league know that Cummins and Armstrong didn’t play and were only named and 2 why did Mat Irons tell Goulburn that it’s allowed because Belconnen have to accomodate so many players . Arnt the rules the same for all teams who pay the same affiliation fees ?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I was at that game and seen the argument first hand . It was the three players you mention that the swans queried. The swans were also told that Cummings and Brad Armstrong couldn’t play because there names were on team list that they actually didn’t play in and therefore had only played three games not the 4 you need . My questions would be 1 how did the league know that Cummins and Armstrong didn’t play and were only named and 2 why did Mat Irons tell Goulburn that it’s allowed because Belconnen have to accomodate so many players . Arnt the rules the same for all teams who pay the same affiliation fees ?

Interesting one about the Cummings & Armstrong stuff. As you say, how did the league know that? And then also,, how was this not all sorted out prior to game day??? I know when we've had qualifying queries/possible issues (plenty in the past with seniors in finals already etc), we've made sure it's all sorted during the week and AFL Canberra has ruled on it.

Objectively, regarding the 3 Belco players, think the 2 that had only played 2 games and nothing else should have been fine if it was the difference between having 22 or 20. I could only count 28 qualified players all up for them, so sure that some of them are now injured/unavailable. But the guy who'd played more in 2s should have missed out. That's just hard luck when you get dropped at the wrong time of the season. He'd be available next week when all 3 teams were playing finals, but not this week because seniors are still in round games.

So you would think that they’d be able to keep the same team for the weekend for the next 2 weeks of finals ?

So you would think that they’d be able to keep the same team for the weekend for the next 2 weeks of finals ?

You'd assume so? I mean, I guess they could drop players from last weeks 2s and promote players from the Regional to the 2s semi-final, but there's nothing in the list of Regional players from that semi that suggests those players will go up. I guess if they rested players in the final round of regular season games against easy beats the Jets then there is a possibility that those guys come into the higher grades, 2s players are pushed down in the shuffle and their Regional side becomes stronger? Or there's no additional reinforcements from the senior teams, some that played last week are unavailable, and they go in weaker? Who knows?

You'd assume so? I mean, I guess they could drop players from last weeks 2s and promote players from the Regional to the 2s semi-final, but there's nothing in the list of Regional players from that semi that suggests those players will go up. I guess if they rested players in the final round of regular season games against easy beats the Jets then there is a possibility that those guys come into the higher grades, 2s players are pushed down in the shuffle and their Regional side becomes stronger? Or there's no additional reinforcements from the senior teams, some that played last week are unavailable, and they go in weaker? Who knows?
Be interesting if their 2s win next week and go straight through to the grand final , and their regional team wins into the grand final , they then do not have the 2s playing on the same weekend come regional grand final day , does that have an affect on them ie the two or three players in question from yesterday’s game

Are Woden players who played 3s on the weekend who also qualified for 4s able to play 4s this weekend?

Interesting one about the Cummings & Armstrong stuff. As you say, how did the league know that? And then also,, how was this not all sorted out prior to game day??? I know when we've had qualifying queries/possible issues (plenty in the past with seniors in finals already etc), we've made sure it's all sorted during the week and AFL Canberra has ruled on it.

Objectively, regarding the 3 Belco players, think the 2 that had only played 2 games and nothing else should have been fine if it was the difference between having 22 or 20. I could only count 28 qualified players all up for them, so sure that some of them are now injured/unavailable. But the guy who'd played more in 2s should have missed out. That's just hard luck when you get dropped at the wrong time of the season. He'd be available next week when all 3 teams were playing finals, but not this week because seniors are still in round games.
My guess would be for Armstrong and Cummings that they put them on the team sheet for the forfeit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What’s everybody’s best guess in the format for next year ? Will they continue on with the regional comp or go back to the one community comp ?

Couldn't see the regional comp continuing in current format. Not sure if that means:
-simply back to 2 divisions (Which was good last year)
-clubs trying to get or align 2 teams (e.g Coota 3s Goulburn 2s)
-enough teams leave/cease that regional is impossible
-regional secedes

Hoping it's one of the top 2 options. Probably the first one to avoid the forfeits that could occur from trying to force 2 teams to fit the demand

The only way I see one community comp working is if the regional teams split between div 3 and 4 evenly and have some sort of alignment (possibly even sharing home games and playing at the same venue). You can't all play Div 4. This all depends on whether any other teams are looking at adding teams i.e queanbyan or eastlake.

AFL Canberra need to grow a back bone and start dictating a bit not just tip toeing around everyone.

Teams are split across grades 3 and 4. If you can strike an affiliation with a team in a higher grade i.e Yass and Coota or Goulburn and Murrumbateman you split your home games. If you don't like it tough luck. No one like regional grade so you either suck it up, fold your club or move to a different comp.

If a team like the Cats who are now in the top 3 teams are able to strike a deal with say Tuggeranong they could play all home games at Greenway/Snowy and stay in the 4's comp. Then the Womens 2's can play on the same day and you have your 'Match Day Experience'.

All it is going to take is for 1 team to get an affiliation and game day structure for the Regional comp to fall apart. They cant run a comp with 5 teams.

Personally I think if your a single team club then come 2021 your nomination won’t be accepted . Clubs have to bite the bullet now and gather together two teams , or as some have suggested form an alliance . Let’s not forget that last year it looked like the bay and Riverina Lyons we’re gone this year only to get a late stay .

AFL Canberra need to grow a back bone and start dictating a bit not just tip toeing around everyone.

Teams are split across grades 3 and 4. If you can strike an affiliation with a team in a higher grade i.e Yass and Coota or Goulburn and Murrumbateman you split your home games. If you don't like it tough luck. No one like regional grade so you either suck it up, fold your club or move to a different comp.

If a team like the Cats who are now in the top 3 teams are able to strike a deal with say Tuggeranong they could play all home games at Greenway/Snowy and stay in the 4's comp. Then the Womens 2's can play on the same day and you have your 'Match Day Experience'.

All it is going to take is for 1 team to get an affiliation and game day structure for the Regional comp to fall apart. They cant run a comp with 5 teams.

You involved with a Canberra club Willy? Suck it up or fold? Hopefully you’re kidding. But I’ll bite anyway.
Country clubs have been in the competition over 15 years. But hey let’s treat them like outcasts across a couple regional seasons and then tell them to toughen up.
If they affiliate they would have 4 home games each. That’d help build a club and entice new players to have a kick. Come join Coota you get to play 4 home games then travel 2 hours each way for 12 weeks. They won’t know what to do with all the players that’ll sign up for that.
AFL Canberra do need to grow some balls. Across a 16-18 Week season your match day experience is lost 3-4 times max. I know what the easy fix is.
Just fold you say. Enjoy the 6 team comps just like the rabble of a comp that is 1st grade. Players will lose interest real quick when they play the same teams over and over and weak teams become a bye.
All just my opinion but as a guy who invested a lot of time and energy into a regional based club to get the affiliate or fold line is pretty ordinary but sadly not unexpected

Yeah it was much better. Having fewer teams wasn't a problem as suggested earlier by droppunt. Having all 3 teams together every week more than made up for that.
They wouldn't necessarily have to share home games (although that would make it more attractive to the 3 and clubs) but would have to split evenly between div 3 & 4.
Thing is, then the droppunts will be complaining that the comps aren't even enough and that some clubs getting pumped every week in div 3 won't attract players so we should let all the regional teams in div 4. Then we are back to the uneven comps which end up with the 3 team clubs only playing together rarely.

Cats to bounce back this weekend ,The win by Belconnen a think was a little flattering . As far as the comp goes leave it as it is .

You involved with a Canberra club Willy? Suck it up or fold? Hopefully you’re kidding. But I’ll bite anyway.
Country clubs have been in the competition over 15 years. But hey let’s treat them like outcasts across a couple regional seasons and then tell them to toughen up.
If they affiliate they would have 4 home games each. That’d help build a club and entice new players to have a kick. Come join Coota you get to play 4 home games then travel 2 hours each way for 12 weeks. They won’t know what to do with all the players that’ll sign up for that.
AFL Canberra do need to grow some balls. Across a 16-18 Week season your match day experience is lost 3-4 times max. I know what the easy fix is.
Just fold you say. Enjoy the 6 team comps just like the rabble of a comp that is 1st grade. Players will lose interest real quick when they play the same teams over and over and weak teams become a bye.
All just my opinion but as a guy who invested a lot of time and energy into a regional based club to get the affiliate or fold line is pretty ordinary but sadly not unexpected
No I am not kidding realistically it is the only way forward for any of the single team clubs. AFL Canberra has already shown a preference to have the 'Match Day Experience' which I can completely understand. Why shouldn't the teams that have grown have the opportunity to have all 3 of their teams play at the same oval every week? Because it is inconvenient for 5 regional teams yet it benefits the 21 other teams and their supporters?

The only other alternative is to continue the regional comp which as you said 'players lose interest real quick playing the same teams over and over'. With Coota that is there choice to be in the Canberra competition and if they aligned with Yass they wouldn't have to travel anywhere near as much. This year the single team clubs were told you are playing regionals so suck it up. What difference would it be to have to align with the closest regional team to you and split your home games? Sure it wouldn't be great not having as many home games.

Maybe I am looking at this wrong but I have played footy in the country, for one of the big 6 and a 'regional' team. The 'regional' teams have no voice in AFL Canberra I don't think many of the clubs would survive the travel involved with another regional comp.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back