AFL Canberra 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Out of interest...
Is there anyone in regional that wants regional to stay?
Is there anyone in divs 3 and 4 that wants regional to be folded back into those divisions?

Silly season has begun could you move all regional teams up into third grade and have two conferences if say Eastlake or one of the others forms a team?

Conference 1

Cooma
ANU
Ainslie
Woden
Bay
Goulburn
Cootamundra

Conference 2

Belconnen
Murrumbateman
Yass
ADFA
Molonglo
Googong
Eastlake*

Play each team in your conference twice (home and away) play each team from the other conference once (three home and three away). Start the season earlier, play 19 games.

Finals series could either be top four from each grade play off against each other. Winner of each conference plays each other in the Undisputed grand final. Or you could have top four from each conference make up a similar finals series to the AFL that consists of a top 8 and goes for a month.

Excuse my ignorance but what is the big push to get rid of regional ?
The amount of travel is unsustainable for small clubs that are mainly made up of tradesmen. Working a Saturday for half day minimum is no longer an 'if you want to' it is now a given. Playing football at this grade is costing players money and takes up a whole day because of the minimum of 2-3 hour travel nearly every week.

Excuse my ignorance...why don't teams play in comps closer to them geographically? E.g. Bay, Coota...
What does AFL "Canberra" care about NSW teams who could play closer to home in the Community level?

I could understand if these clubs were invited into the comp to help a struggling Div 1 with only 2.5 competitive teams...
Not arguing, just asking?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There’s not much choice for a few of these teams that are a one team club, apart from coota the other 5 teams are relatively close to each other

Who the hell would want to merge with coota ?
A team that would want to return to 4th grade. Coota will be going up to 3's if regional grade is scrapped. So a Yass or Murrumbateman would make sense as they are the closest to Coota and were the bottom 2 teams from regionals.

Have heard around the traps that Yass have a few really good players playing there next year through the coaches connections, they should bounce back after last season.

Any other news floating around?

Have heard around the traps that Yass have a few really good players playing there next year through the coaches connections, they should bounce back after last season.

Any other news floating around?
A lot of rumours go around this time of year any couching appointments known ?
How is Murrumbatman looking South ? You stepping up to coach ?

Word around the place is that southcab is taking on the murrumbateman head coach role, both goulburn and Yass have re signed last years coach and Cooma are still to find one. Haven’t heard anything from coota or Belconnen. Still no word on the competition structure for next year which is disappointing. I’m sure all clubs would want to know where they are playing prior to Christmas 🎄

Word around the place is that southcab is taking on the murrumbateman head coach role, both goulburn and Yass have re signed last years coach and Cooma are still to find one. Haven’t heard anything from coota or Belconnen. Still no word on the competition structure for next year which is disappointing. I’m sure all clubs would want to know where they are playing prior to Christmas

Fair chance it will be a regional comp again with the inclusion of Eastlake and Tuggeranong. I hope not but I’m hearing that the two team clubs are dead set against the inclusion of the country single team clubs in the divisions 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Fair chance it will be a regional comp again with the inclusion of Eastlake and Tuggeranong. I hope not but I’m hearing that the two team clubs are dead set against the inclusion of the country single team clubs in the divisions 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

That's pretty sad if it's the case. My understanding, from the last meeting I went to at the end of last season, was that despite one particularly vocal 3 team club, most of those involved in Div 3 & 4 were open to the re-inclusion of the regional teams if this meant that they were more likely to survive, even if it made life slightly harder for the 3 team clubs. There were obviously discussions around alignment of regional teams in the two divisions and of how to reduce the burden on 3 team clubs having to send players and support staff to 3 different locations when playing regional teams.

Maybe discussions have moved on since then, but if so, it is disappointing in my eyes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back