AFL Canberra 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

The league won’t be withdrawing the Seahawks from this years comp . Questions were asked at last night at Afl Canberra’s mid season meeting . If the league would be happy to see three bay teams win titles by forfeit . The seahawks article in yesterday’s bay post and Canberra times has them quoted as saying they will finish top two on the back of forfeits 🤷‍♂️ I feel for Seahawks club .

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Definitely feel for the Seahawks, But with cases in and around the bay, and advice no to travel there, They can't expect any one to play them even at finals,
Will any team play them if they come up?

Definitely feel for the Seahawks, But with cases in and around the bay, and advice no to travel there, They can't expect any one to play them even at finals,
Will any team play them if they come up?

Correct me if I’m wrong but arnt Seahawks players filling in for the Jets ? Meaning some of there players are actually getting a game

The league won’t be withdrawing the Seahawks from this years comp . Questions were asked at last night at Afl Canberra’s mid season meeting . If the league would be happy to see three bay teams win titles by forfeit . The seahawks article in yesterday’s bay post and Canberra times has them quoted as saying they will finish top two on the back of forfeits 🤷‍♂️ I feel for Seahawks club .

Think this is an extremely poor decision (or avoidance of decision?) by AFL Canberra. Most people in the league would be feeling for the bay, but the place had had new cases crop up at least twice now and it's a health risk that should be taken seriously. Not to mention the farce that is riding forfeits and 'washouts' into finals, on behalf of clubs who were doing the right thing.

2 suggestions for those that want to get a competitive game in safely might be:
-Those based in Canberra filling in for other teams this year (sounds like some still struggling for numbers)
- Those down the bay could run a 9s comp like the ones that are run over summer

Admittedly these are far from ideal outcomes, but that's better than what could have been (and could still be if this all causes a cluster).

Perhaps after the season if things have settled we could try to get a weekend tourney going too. Might be a long shot but need to think outside the box this year

Rumours are about that the bay have been withdrawn from the comp ! Anybody else hear this ?

An announcement on the Seahawks Facebook page over the weekend suggests AFL Canberra have withdrawn them from the competition for the season. Don’t think they had a choice as teams wouldn’t play them, even in Canberra. They are a strong Club and Community, they’ll be back bigger and better in 2021 that’s for sure.

TV Report i did on the NEAFL/VFL Merger and its impact on AFL Canberra.

Unlucky for the demons, but it's a good result for local Canberra footy. As John Love said, the local comp was at its peak before the NEAFL, or at it's very start when all Canberra sides had a team in it.

The question is, will AFL Canberra continue on its trend towards having the standard be low enough to allow the bottom clubs to compete, or will it seek to once again be the best competition in the region and attract better players to supplement the local talent.

Hi Everyone,

This looks like a great forum and active which is ideal.

I am just wanting to know how the footy in Canberra works?

1) I see there is a first grade that plays on Saturdays at 2.30pm and then a second grade at 11.30am
-Is this concept just like reserves/seniors where they are the same club but the best 22 play at 2.30 and second 22 play at 11.30?

2) I then seen there is 'community grade' football which is named 3rd and 4th grade? Is there a reason why it is called community football rather than just 3rd and 4th grade?

3) I know in country leagues outside of Canberra, players will get paid, but what about in like the 1st,2nd and 3rd grades in Canberra? Do people get paid to play games?

4) Do many locals from Canberra travel to the nearby country leagues and play footy on Saturdays - for example, Hume football league?

5) I also seen in 2019 there was Canberra regional, does this still exist and do players travel to play here?

Looking forward to speaking to you all shortly.

Thanks for your help.

Regards.

1) Yep that's right.

2)similar set up to Div 1 and 2 but some clubs only have one team which plays in either division. Some clubs have two teams one in each Div 3&4 (same set up as Div 1&2). Some of the clubs from Div 1&2 have enough for one or two extra teams in Div 3 and/or 4.

3) Div 1 most definitely has players getting paid. Not sure about Div 2 though. 3 and 4 most likely not but some of the regional teams might throw a little bit of petrol money around.

4) yeah I think some do but mainly guys who have moved to Canberra from those leagues and go home to play.

5) is a bit of a touchy subject around here. As said in point 2 there is a big mix of clubs in Div 3 & 4, some have teams in both divisions and some just one or the other. In 2019 Div 3 and 4 was reduced to only those clubs that had a team in each division 3&4 and the clubs that only had one team were put in a new division called regional (as most of the one team clubs are based out of Canberra, although many players still live in Canberra). From a club that has two teams perspective it made things much easier as both teams played at the same ground every week. From the one team clubs perspective they had to travel pretty much every week so was much harder. To solve this they brought the regional teams back into Div 3 & 4 but split them (as evenly as possible) into Div 3 or 4. This reduces how often two team clubs play in different locations in a season and evens out travel but does mean that the divisions could be a bit lopsided skills wise.

Hope that helps/makes sense.
Cheers.

1) Yep that's right.

2)similar set up to Div 1 and 2 but some clubs only have one team which plays in either division. Some clubs have two teams one in each Div 3&4 (same set up as Div 1&2). Some of the clubs from Div 1&2 have enough for one or two extra teams in Div 3 and/or 4.

3) Div 1 most definitely has players getting paid. Not sure about Div 2 though. 3 and 4 most likely not but some of the regional teams might throw a little bit of petrol money around.

4) yeah I think some do but mainly guys who have moved to Canberra from those leagues and go home to play.

5) is a bit of a touchy subject around here. As said in point 2 there is a big mix of clubs in Div 3 & 4, some have teams in both divisions and some just one or the other. In 2019 Div 3 and 4 was reduced to only those clubs that had a team in each division 3&4 and the clubs that only had one team were put in a new division called regional (as most of the one team clubs are based out of Canberra, although many players still live in Canberra). From a club that has two teams perspective it made things much easier as both teams played at the same ground every week. From the one team clubs perspective they had to travel pretty much every week so was much harder. To solve this they brought the regional teams back into Div 3 & 4 but split them (as evenly as possible) into Div 3 or 4. This reduces how often two team clubs play in different locations in a season and evens out travel but does mean that the divisions could be a bit lopsided skills wise.

Cheers.

Hi Hallstrom,

Awesome. Thanks for your reply.

So in 2021, (if you know) do AFL Canberra plan to have Division 3 and 4 as 'community football' or are they going back to a Canberra Div 3 and 4 'regional system' if I understand correctly? The concept where they split the country teams into Div 3 and 4 makes more sense to me so both leagues have the same amount of travel?

When you say lopsided skills wise, do you mean like some teams dominate other teams?

Thanks.

They like to chop and change a lot at aflcanberra (and never let us kniw what's going on until the last minute) but I'd think they will stick with what we had this year (i.e. Regional split across Div 3 & 4). We didn't get a good look at how it would work with covid interpreting the season but it seemed to work pretty well.

That was the worry with some of the regional teams having to play Div 3 that they wouldn't be competitive. Coota one of the regional teams made the prelim (in Div 3) this year and were definitely in with a shot of winning right up to the siren. I'd imagine they'd be keen to play Div 3 no matter how the comps are split next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any pre-season games locked in?
Are the new rules that are coming into the AFL going to filter through to AFL Canberra community grade?

With the season only a few weeks out how has everyone's preseasons been?

I haven't played in years and have spent the last few years focussing on work and haven't seen much of the local footy so I'd love to hear about this as well. I'm more of a div 3/4 fan so I'll be focussing on that again now that I'm hooking back in so I've been having a look online about how things are shaping up.

Last year must have been a bit weird with the COVID crap so hoping that's not the case this year. Haven't followed things in a few years but noticed Harman are now Googong! Bit of a shame to lose the Navy side (even though I know there weren't many Navy players that played anyway) but had a drive out to Googong to see a friend this week and that ground looks sweet! Also looks MASSIVE. Almost an oval. Hope the Hogs are fit this year :D

Probably need an AFL Canberra 2021 thread now but would love to know which teams to watch this year. Can't find a draw for div3/4 online. Does anyone know when it kicks off?

I haven't played in years and have spent the last few years focussing on work and haven't seen much of the local footy so I'd love to hear about this as well. I'm more of a div 3/4 fan so I'll be focussing on that again now that I'm hooking back in so I've been having a look online about how things are shaping up.

Last year must have been a bit weird with the COVID crap so hoping that's not the case this year. Haven't followed things in a few years but noticed Harman are now Googong! Bit of a shame to lose the Navy side (even though I know there weren't many Navy players that played anyway) but had a drive out to Googong to see a friend this week and that ground looks sweet! Also looks MASSIVE. Almost an oval. Hope the Hogs are fit this year :D

Probably need an AFL Canberra 2021 thread now but would love to know which teams to watch this year. Can't find a draw for div3/4 online. Does anyone know when it kicks off?

I think April 17 it kicks off, draw I believe should be out soon.

I've heard Yass has been on a recruiting drive...should be thereabouts again this year you'd think

Smart pick ups from Ainslie with Drew Alsford, Plugga, Elliott Johns, Darcy Paine, Hulmy, Lemmo. Have to be strong favourites for sure and now have a team that should account for last year's grand final defeat.

1) Yep that's right.

Cheers.
A LOT more cash getting thrown around in the lower grades than there should be. Certain clubs are rorting the system and it is having an impact on the competition in my opinion.

A LOT more cash getting thrown around in the lower grades than there should be. Certain clubs are rorting the system and it is having an impact on the competition in my opinion.
Really? How much money could possibly be getting around in the community grades?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back