AFL Canberra Div3/Div2

Remove this Banner Ad

Interested as to why the "draft" isn't only for players outside of Ainslie/Eastlake's NEAFL squads, ie their existing Div 1 teams? Surely they'd prefer their blokes that are not playing NEAFL play at their own clubs... Gungahlin should get blokes not selected for Ainslie/Eastlake Div 1 sides, after unselected NEAFL players are dropped back.

Seems Ainslie and Eastlake are being punished for sticking to their NEAFL contracts.

I've been watching this feed for quiet a long time, but not joined until now and find it interesting that most people are too concerned about are their own back yard and not what is best for a competative comp going forward. Before I get all the usual backlash from people who have been on this feed before, I dont represent the league and I have played in Div 3 in the past.

I dont envy the league in finding the middle when everyone wants their own idea. I agree that the league are too biasis to the big clubs and that's what happens when you have people at the league who come from these clubs. Maybe their might need to be more independance at a league level. They need to come with a strategic plan and instead of letting every club give their two cents they should say this is what it is and move the comp forward not sinking it as it is now. NEAFL and 3 divisions is not viable for a small city like Canberra. To me its a joke that we need to have a regional comp that has to be split into divisions. For the better of AFL Canberra their should only be rising stars, div 1, div 2 and a regional club. To free some more players around you should only be allowed to have one team only in the div 3 comp and and the div 1 & 2 teams should not be allowed to have any connections to the div 3 teams.

This whole talk lately about players only some clubs are paying players is a joke because i know of players that might of not got paid in cash to play for non canberra clubs but got paid in items like fuel and food. Isn't this still paying players to pay for your club??? (I know someone from yass that currently gets this). All clubs apart from the big four have to work their butts off to organise sponsorship for their teams. No players should be getting paid in any other team except in Div 1. This is the why clubs like the tigers are going bust.

From what I am reading into todays paper Gungahlin have made an interesting move in going into div 1. It looks like some other clubs like Harman and the Juggers might have made a mistake by holding back in going to div 1. Imagine what both of those clubs could do with what gungahlin are getting, I would love to know how much the league are giving them. Everyone talks about Gungahlin have failed in the past but no one mentions what could happen if they succeed this time.

Copilot might be onto something!!! Too bad i am retired

I've been watching this feed for quiet a long time, but not joined until now and find it interesting that most people are too concerned about are their own back yard and not what is best for a competative comp going forward. Before I get all the usual backlash from people who have been on this feed before, I dont represent the league and I have played in Div 3 in the past.

I dont envy the league in finding the middle when everyone wants their own idea. I agree that the league are too biasis to the big clubs and that's what happens when you have people at the league who come from these clubs. Maybe their might need to be more independance at a league level. They need to come with a strategic plan and instead of letting every club give their two cents they should say this is what it is and move the comp forward not sinking it as it is now. NEAFL and 3 divisions is not viable for a small city like Canberra. To me its a joke that we need to have a regional comp that has to be split into divisions. For the better of AFL Canberra their should only be rising stars, div 1, div 2 and a regional club. To free some more players around you should only be allowed to have one team only in the div 3 comp and and the div 1 & 2 teams should not be allowed to have any connections to the div 3 teams.

This whole talk lately about players only some clubs are paying players is a joke because i know of players that might of not got paid in cash to play for non canberra clubs but got paid in items like fuel and food. Isn't this still paying players to pay for your club??? (I know someone from yass that currently gets this). All clubs apart from the big four have to work their butts off to organise sponsorship for their teams. No players should be getting paid in any other team except in Div 1. This is the why clubs like the tigers are going bust.

From what I am reading into todays paper Gungahlin have made an interesting move in going into div 1. It looks like some other clubs like Harman and the Juggers might have made a mistake by holding back in going to div 1. Imagine what both of those clubs could do with what gungahlin are getting, I would love to know how much the league are giving them. Everyone talks about Gungahlin have failed in the past but no one mentions what could happen if they succeed this time.

Copilot might be onto something!!! Too bad i am retired

Where would you see more Div 1 players coming from if Molonglo and Harman were to go up as well? I'm all for an 8 team 1st division, but there simply isn't the talent pool in Canberra to sustain it, nor the money to attract players here. As it is, Gungahlin will be diluting the talent pool at the top level by taking NEAFL squad players from Ainslie and Eastlake to add to their existing squad that won 4 total games across 2 lower divisions last year.

Seems to be quite a few people talking about doing things for the good of the competition, but as we've seen over many, many years, the talent pool just isn't there to support it, and you end up with clubs falling out of the first division. The AFL will not continue putting heaps of money into such a venture once it realises the spread of talent is too weak to constitute a good second tier comp, a standard which the NEAFL even struggled to get to. None of the clubs linked to a possible move up have club backing, and this makes it hard to compete at the top level (see: Hawks, Tuggeranong).

Well done to Gungahlin for making the step into Division 1. Probably makes the most sense in regards to location and their new ground etc.
I wonder if a club like Anu or molongolo could have taken the same step if they demanded the same things as Gunghalin, not saying it was wrong to do so, they will need some help to be competitive after last season's performances in div 2 and 3.
This whole draft thing is going to cause maximum chaos amongst the league.

For example I was down at Ainslie pre-season training tonight to have a look at the lads. So a few belco neafl players are out at Ainslie trying to keep playing neafl which is understandable. If any of them don't get named in the neafl side, I can guarantee that they will not want to play div 1 for anyone other then belco or maybe Ainslie. They will be punished for trying to play at the best standard they can in Canberra by being put inns total foreign team.
Then what happens to any fringe neafl players from either Ainslie or Eastlake, that have been at the club for their whole football lives, they get thrown to a foreign club because they tried to play the best standard... I can promise that some blokes would rather not play at all then play for a side they have potentially hated all their lives...

Well done to Gungahlin for making the step into Division 1. Probably makes the most sense in regards to location and their new ground etc.
I wonder if a club like Anu or molongolo could have taken the same step if they demanded the same things as Gunghalin, not saying it was wrong to do so, they will need some help to be competitive after last season's performances in div 2 and 3.

For example I was down at Ainslie pre-season training tonight to have a look at the lads. So a few belco neafl players are out at Ainslie trying to keep playing neafl which is understandable. If any of them don't get named in the neafl side, I can guarantee that they will not want to play div 1 for anyone other then belco or maybe Ainslie. They will be punished for trying to play at the best standard they can in Canberra by being put inns total foreign team.
Then what happens to any fringe neafl players from either Ainslie or Eastlake, that have been at the club for their whole football lives, they get thrown to a foreign club because they tried to play the best standard... I can promise that some blokes would rather not play at all then play for a side they have potentially hated all their lives...

Molonglo and Googong were offered the exact same deal as Gunghalin, but both turned it down due to the current situations at their clubs. I know that Molonglo will be developing a longer term strategic plan to move up to Div 1 in the future, but we will have several milestones to hit which will include a rising stars team, but extends further than that. Molonglo is behind Gunghalin in that regard as we need a rising stars for a few years to even consider getting up there.

I have a friend who is on the Eastlake NEAFL contracted list, was talking to him last night about the proposed structure, he said the contract he signed says he only plays for Eastlake and wont be part of the draft, and is he isn't picked in NEAFL he will be playing n their Reserves not being drafted out, plus he would NEVER play for any other club bar Eastlake, and just wont play a game if he had to play for another club. I wonder how this mentality in the NEAFL teams will affect Gunghalin and Tuggers with players being drafted to them from the NEAFL Side.

Molonglo and Googong were offered the exact same deal as Gunghalin, but both turned it down due to the current situations at their clubs. I know that Molonglo will be developing a longer term strategic plan to move up to Div 1 in the future, but we will have several milestones to hit which will include a rising stars team, but extends further than that. Molonglo is behind Gunghalin in that regard as we need a rising stars for a few years to even consider getting up there.

I have a friend who is on the Eastlake NEAFL contracted list, was talking to him last night about the proposed structure, he said the contract he signed says he only plays for Eastlake and wont be part of the draft, and is he isn't picked in NEAFL he will be playing n their Reserves not being drafted out, plus he would NEVER play for any other club bar Eastlake, and just wont play a game if he had to play for another club. I wonder how this mentality in the NEAFL teams will affect Gunghalin and Tuggers with players being drafted to them from the NEAFL Side.

It's funny cause I have a friend who plays for ainslie who said he doesnt mind the idea but would wait to see how it is all proposed before he makes up his mind. If it's in their contracts its a different story but the league you hope would have already have thoughts about this, there is probally a clause somewhere in their contracts stating that Eastlake could loan them to another club. This would be no different to what happened with the Brumbies being loaned out to the Canberra clubs when not playing.

The only way this is going to work is if Ainslie and Eastlake are behind it.

I heard a rumour that Molonglo were offered Marist as their rising stars to help them get up and running. I know it would be hard thing to get up and running but I know any club would love to have Marist as their feeder.

I look at all the players that have left their junior clubs in the past being promised by the bigger teams of bigger and better things. It might give them a chance to return back to their original club or to play closer to where they live.

To me the interesting thing is going to be the relationship between the Neafl coaches and the different club coaches.

It's funny cause I have a friend who plays for ainslie who said he doesnt mind the idea but would wait to see how it is all proposed before he makes up his mind. If it's in their contracts its a different story but the league you hope would have already have thoughts about this, there is probally a clause somewhere in their contracts stating that Eastlake could loan them to another club. This would be no different to what happened with the Brumbies being loaned out to the Canberra clubs when not playing.

The only way this is going to work is if Ainslie and Eastlake are behind it.

I heard a rumour that Molonglo were offered Marist as their rising stars to help them get up and running. I know it would be hard thing to get up and running but I know any club would love to have Marist as their feeder.

Not sure about this being "no different" at all.

There is no "Brumbies" side playing in Canberra first grade rugby. I would imagine that former Tuggeranong Vikings players now contracted to the Brumbies would have zero interest in going to play for Royals when they are not selected at the top level, and vice versa. I can understand "imported" players brought in on contracts who have no background in the Canberra comp being drafted into teams, as occurs with the Brumbies, but I can't fathom how this will work for AFL Canberra.

Why would either of the NEAFL clubs want blokes who they have put years of development into playing against their own teams? Given that the "local" players are generally on less coin/of lesser ability than blokes who are brought in from other competitions, is it not them that appear to be more likely to be playing for other clubs? You should be able to choose where you play your footy. You've been with Ainslie/Eastlake all your life, and suddenly you're told to play for Gungahlin/Tuggeranong? Why should Ainslie/Eastlake weaken their Div 1 sides by loaning players to other clubs? How does this help build a sustainable culture at these other clubs?

Think it's going to end up as another poorly thought out move from AFL Canberra, and the same discussion will be taking place in another 2 years time...

Where would you see more Div 1 players coming from if Molonglo and Harman were to go up as well? I'm all for an 8 team 1st division, but there simply isn't the talent pool in Canberra to sustain it, nor the money to attract players here. As it is, Gungahlin will be diluting the talent pool at the top level by taking NEAFL squad players from Ainslie and Eastlake to add to their existing squad that won 4 total games across 2 lower divisions last year.

Seems to be quite a few people talking about doing things for the good of the competition, but as we've seen over many, many years, the talent pool just isn't there to support it, and you end up with clubs falling out of the first division. The AFL will not continue putting heaps of money into such a venture once it realises the spread of talent is too weak to constitute a good second tier comp, a standard which the NEAFL even struggled to get to. None of the clubs linked to a possible move up have club backing, and this makes it hard to compete at the top level (see: Hawks, Tuggeranong).

I agree motley it is going to stretch the talent pool but really is it, every time a new team is added to any sport they talk about that there is not enough players but what happens is those new players lift their standards up higher and become competative in that level. I believe there were a number of players playing in the div 2 comp of last year that should have been playing in div 1 comp if their respected teams were playing in that higher division, to some extent some of the Goulburn players could have played up in div 1 last year.

This talk that a div 1 player must train three times a week with recovery is a joke (they are not training for the AFL or even the NEAFL level). Most of these guys would also being doing some kind of fitness/weight training away from the track also. This is what the issue is with Div 1 in Canberra at the moment.

Maybe some of the Canberra based divsional teams should be encouraging the talented players to play up in those leagues and even the regional teams should be encouraged to loan those talented players out. Then when they get older its time for these players to return back to these clubs.

Lastly i agree it is interesting to see how the Jets perform next year with the poor performances last year. I guess we will get to see how good a coach both Pav and( from what i read from their website) Justin mennen are? Their performance would also be a good way to see if the new draft will be the answer the clubs have been looking for.

Not sure about this being "no different" at all.

There is no "Brumbies" side playing in Canberra first grade rugby. I would imagine that former Tuggeranong Vikings players now contracted to the Brumbies would have zero interest in going to play for Royals when they are not selected at the top level, and vice versa. I can understand "imported" players brought in on contracts who have no background in the Canberra comp being drafted into teams, as occurs with the Brumbies, but I can't fathom how this will work for AFL Canberra.

Why would either of the NEAFL clubs want blokes who they have put years of development into playing against their own teams? Given that the "local" players are generally on less coin/of lesser ability than blokes who are brought in from other competitions, is it not them that appear to be more likely to be playing for other clubs? You should be able to choose where you play your footy. You've been with Ainslie/Eastlake all your life, and suddenly you're told to play for Gungahlin/Tuggeranong? Why should Ainslie/Eastlake weaken their Div 1 sides by loaning players to other clubs? How does this help build a sustainable culture at these other clubs?

Think it's going to end up as another poorly thought out move from AFL Canberra, and the same discussion will be taking place in another 2 years time...
But what about the players that palyed their junior football for teams like Tuggernong and such, they aren't from these clubs but move over because they thought it would be the only way to play NEAFL. Ainslie has been know for years to poach juniors from various clubs at a junior level when they get at that under 16 to under 18 age. The haven't developed the player it has been the toher junior club that has developed them.

Shouldn't then these clubs get the benefit for the development they gave them as juniors. When Tuggers NEAFl folded a few years back both Ainsile and Eastlake picked up 3/4 of their rising star team. Both these clubs did nothing but give open promises to vulurenable young minds. Does a player who plays all their juniors with St Eddies belong to Eastlake??????

When it comes to the statement no brumbies side play in first grade this is the issue with NEAFL being conrolled by a club not hte league. It will be interseting to see what happens at the end of liscences next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good to see all the banter on here .I'm one of the dis believers in actafl that nose bleeders is referring to so ill keep my post short . And he's rite im only interested in my back yard because no one else involved with the league gives a s**t about it. At the end of the day The league will do what it deems best for the comp and teams just have to fit around it. There are that many rumours around the place at the moment it's unbelievable. I'm going to the presidents meeting tonight and I believe that we will be told that Yass and coota are going up to Div 2 Belco will be including another side called uc Belconnen and that ANU will drop back to div 3 so well see how close I am tomorrow. Keep up the good work gentlemen

Why doesn't Canberra AFL start a NEAFL side called 'Canberra Cats' for example. That way, Ainlslie and eastlake can go on their own merry way, and the 'canberra' side would be made up of other clubs. When players are coming back whether it be through injury, or if the get dropped, they would go back to their 'junior' club, or get drafted back to a div 1 club. AFL Canberra would go to div 1 games and 'scout' players worthy of a traing run with the NEAFL side.

But what about the players that palyed their junior football for teams like Tuggernong and such, they aren't from these clubs but move over because they thought it would be the only way to play NEAFL. Ainslie has been know for years to poach juniors from various clubs at a junior level when they get at that under 16 to under 18 age. The haven't developed the player it has been the toher junior club that has developed them.

I have no dramas with such players going back to their junior clubs, if they so wish. They should still have a choice in this matter though. Do you think a Jeremy Hirst type would like being drafted to Tuggeranong, having played at Ainslie since he was 6? Do Ainslie/Eastlake now have to put on more coaching staff so they can get accurate reports on their players at Tuggeranong and Gungahlin who are striving for NEAFL promotion?

Shouldn't then these clubs get the benefit for the development they gave them as juniors. When Tuggers NEAFl folded a few years back both Ainsile and Eastlake picked up 3/4 of their rising star team. Both these clubs did nothing but give open promises to vulurenable young minds. Does a player who plays all their juniors with St Eddies belong to Eastlake??????

In regards to the Tuggies rising stars I'm not convinced that things like this are not always going to happen, not just in Canberra footy, but all over the country. Some players want the opportunity to play at the highest level, and if a club switch is necessary for this to happen, so be it. I'm not sure on the Eddies-Eastlake arrangement, my impression was Eastlake got first crack at players, but they are free to go where they like?

When it comes to the statement no brumbies side play in first grade this is the issue with NEAFL being conrolled by a club not hte league. It will be interseting to see what happens at the end of liscences next year.

I guess this is what it comes down to. Queanbeyan and Belconnen pulling out of their contracts with the NEAFL ahead of time has brought all of this to a head. Why should Ainslie and Eastlake effectively be punished for sticking to their contracts?

Good to see all the banter on here .I'm one of the dis believers in actafl that nose bleeders is referring to so ill keep my post short . And he's rite im only interested in my back yard because no one else involved with the league gives a s**t about it. At the end of the day The league will do what it deems best for the comp and teams just have to fit around it. There are that many rumours around the place at the moment it's unbelievable. I'm going to the presidents meeting tonight and I believe that we will be told that Yass and coota are going up to Div 2 Belco will be including another side called uc Belconnen and that ANU will drop back to div 3 so well see how close I am tomorrow. Keep up the good work gentlemen
I'll be interested in hearing what comes of this meeting. I think the country teams will all be put up a division making 3rd div the clubs that can sustain that extra team.

Dont get me wrong southcab I feel sorry for clubs like you its not a level playing ground and it should be. However I am also in the believer that we should be encouraging players to play up to their ability. Too many players play in an easier league because they can. It's not fair on those players that dont have the talent to play. I heard you mention in the past about teh issue of runnning the yass club and players I think this is an issue with all clubs at this level. I think it is wrong that team like Belconnen have any connections with this divsion, their old players should be encouraged to play in this comp. I als dont agree that a club like ADFA and ANU which attract young players from areas like Vic and SA to play in this league.

I think one that will come out of tonight is that all clubs who have teams across all grades need to distinguish between their senior and social teams. Ie - you may see Eastlake running round as Southern Districts or Manuka in 3rd and 4th grade.

Also - aren't sock puppets the best?

Why doesn't Canberra AFL start a NEAFL side called 'Canberra Cats' for example. That way, Ainlslie and eastlake can go on their own merry way, and the 'canberra' side would be made up of other clubs. When players are coming back whether it be through injury, or if the get dropped, they would go back to their 'junior' club, or get drafted back to a div 1 club. AFL Canberra would go to div 1 games and 'scout' players worthy of a traing run with the NEAFL side.

I can't see this working, because it wouldn't help Gungahlin or Tuggeranong. This side would presumably be comprised mainly of ex Belco/QBN players looking to continue playing NEAFL, and if they were not selected, one can only assume they'd want to go back to Belco/QBN, not Gungahlin/Tuggeranong. I'm not sure where they could pull other NEAFL players from to sustain it either, let's not forget that Canberra clubs struggled mightily in that competition this year...

Just out of curiosity - if Ainslie sign a bloke for x amount per game will they still be paying him those weeks he is playing at Gungahlin or Tuggeranong? You would be pretty dirty if you played the majority of the year on the fringes of NEAFL selection but playing at Jets/Tuggeranong not getting paid as opposed to being on the fringes of NEAFL but playing at Ainslie and trousering $100/$150 a week.

I think one that will come out of tonight is that all clubs who have teams across all grades need to distinguish between their senior and social teams. Ie - you may see Eastlake running round as Southern Districts or Manuka in 3rd and 4th grade.

Also - aren't sock puppets the best?

Ainslie 3s and 4s as the Dickson Dingoes would be pretty intriguing, I must admit...

I'll be interested in hearing what comes of this meeting. I think the country teams will all be put up a division making 3rd div the clubs that can sustain that extra team.
I agree it will be interesting to see how much more they can stuff up the comp, the best thing to happen would be the big 4 go do their own comp and the rest create their own league. Then maybe we might see some equality amongst the comps.

Dont get me wrong southcab I feel sorry for clubs like you its not a level playing ground and it should be. However I am also in the believer that we should be encouraging players to play up to their ability. Too many players play in an easier league because they can. It's not fair on those players that dont have the talent to play. I heard you mention in the past about teh issue of runnning the yass club and players I think this is an issue with all clubs at this level. I think it is wrong that team like Belconnen have any connections with this divsion, their old players should be encouraged to play in this comp. I als dont agree that a club like ADFA and ANU which attract young players from areas like Vic and SA to play in this league.
I have no dramas with what your saying mate it's all good

Remove this Banner Ad

Back