AFL Canberra Div3/Div2

Remove this Banner Ad

Do they have a date that all of this will be sorted?

If they do the restructure stated above will ANU and ADFA enjoy moving back grades or will that not be what they want? Essentially they will be dropping back two grades each...

I heard ANU weren't thrilled about dropping back. They wanted to stay in Div 1 but the league said no, apparently.

I heard ANU weren't thrilled about dropping back. They wanted to stay in Div 1 but the league said no, apparently.
I can see why, They went up after a period of success and now their first grade team will be playing 3rd div and their 2nds 4th div.

Won't be great competition. I wouldn't think it's great for their club either.

So what I'm hearing out of this meeting last night is 3 divisions of "district" footy, broken up like this:

Seniors: ANU, ADFA, Molonglo, Batemans Bay, Woden, Eastlake(?) Harman, UC Magpies, Tuggeranong

Regional: ANU 2, ADFA 2, Goulburn, Yass, Coota, Cooma, Batemans Bay 2

Reserves: Ainslie3, Eastlake, UC Magpies 2, Molonglo 2, Woden 2 (?), Harman 2

Eastlake are apparently looking at fielding 5 teams including NEAFL, hence them appearing twice here, and Woden are considering a reserves side also.

Last edited:
So what I'm hearing out of this meeting last night is 3 divisions of "district" footy, broken up like this:

Seniors: ANU, ADFA, Molonglo, Batemans Bay, Woden, Eastlake(?) Harman and UC Magpies

Eastlake are apparently looking at fielding 5 teams including NEAFL, hence them appearing twice here, and Woden are considering a reserves side also.
UM AR your gunna be in trouble Motley you cant post that. But seen as though you did aint no way Eastlake is going field that many teams . And batemans bay will object strongly to there regional inclusing. Also if Eastlake and Woden don't come good with second teams it will be a four team comp in reserves yes ?

A bit tough on ANU and ADFA with their reserves having to travel every other week and the other Canberra sides not having to travel at all...May need to petition AFL Canberra for some petrol money for the students!

UM AR your gunna be in trouble Motley you cant post that. But seen as though you did aint no way Eastlake is going field that many teams . And batemans bay will object strongly to there regional inclusing. Also if Eastlake and Woden don't come good with second teams it will be a four team comp in reserves yes ?

Yeah I don't think BB were thrilled about being in the regional bit there... Obviously those teams will probably be quite strong going off previous seasons...

Maybe a promotion/relegation kind of deal between reserves/regional should be looked at?

I think it may go back to 2 divisions if Eastlake/Woden don't come through with additional teams...

Seniors: ANU, ADFA, Molonglo, Batemans Bay, Woden, Eastlake(?) Harman, UC Magpies, Tuggeranong

Don't mind this idea but it must be 2 grades. Coota should be up in the ones after winning their GF by 10 goals making it a 10 team seniors and 12 team reserves comp. Essentially all they are doing is making a third grade to accommodate Eastlake wanting to field 5 teams...This shouldn't happen. If they want 5 teams then they can play 2 sides in the reserve grade.

Don't mind this idea but it must be 2 grades. Coota should be up in the ones after winning their GF by 10 goals making it a 10 team seniors and 12 team reserves comp. Essentially all they are doing is making a third grade to accommodate Eastlake wanting to field 5 teams...This shouldn't happen. If they want 5 teams then they can play 2 sides in the reserve grade.

Yeah I would have thought a breakdown along the following lines would have been more appropriate... Unsure where Yass fit in, though I suspect it would likely be the higher grade...

Seniors: ADFA, ANU, Batemans Bay, Coota, Eastlake(?), Goulburn, Harman, Molonglo, Tuggeranong, UC Magpies, Woden, Yass (?)

Reserves: ADFA 2, Ainslie, ANU 2, Batemans Bay 2, Cooma, Eastlake 2, Harman 2, Molonglo 2, UC Magpies 2, Woden 2(?), Yass (?)

Apologies if I missed any teams, feel free to correct.

Hi there,

I play in the AFL Canberra comp and have followed the forum over the past few weeks and decided it was my time to have a stab at the ideal set up for the comp:

Divison 1: Ainslie, Eastlake, Belconnen, Queanbeyan, Tuggeranong and Gungahlin
Division 2: Ainslie, Eastlake, UC Magpies, Queanbeyan, Tuggeranong, Gungahlin, ANU, ADFA, Molonglo, Batemans Bay, Woden, Harman, Cootamundra, Goulburn
Division 3: Ainslie, Eastlake, UC Magpies, ANU, ADFA, Molonglo, Batemans Bay, Harman, Cooma, Yass

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has anybody heard the rumour that there will only be 14 rounds of footy next year .I'm also presuming that if it stays in it's current format it will go back to a top 4 for finals ????

Has anybody heard the rumour that there will only be 14 rounds of footy next year .I'm also presuming that if it stays in it's current format it will go back to a top 4 for finals ????

I've heard they want to start the competition in May and only play 14 or 15 games...

Us social blokes lack the skills fitness or commitment to play a full season. The league is definitely doing the right thing here. If we want to play a full season we should go and test ourselves at a higher level. Highly doubt they would drop final 5 either - would reduce the opportunity to gouge $10 out of players missus who turn up for a look.

I've heard they want to start the competition in May and only play 14 or 15 games...
They are really trying to make it hard for all clubs. Could be the longest pre seasons ever.
I don't understand why AFL canberra wouldnt want ANU and ADFA in Div 1. This will be the premier comp in Canberra and if Ainslie and Eastlake drop back then you would have a 10 team comp.
My view and it is only my view the comps should be:
Div 1: Queanbeyan Belconnen Eastlake Ainslie Tuggers Gungahlin ANU ADFA
Div 2: Queanbeyan Belconnen Eastlake Ainslie Tuggers Gunghalin ANU ADFA Woden Harman Molongolo Coota Seahawks Yass? Goulburn?
Div 3: Harman Belconnen Eastlake Ainslie Molongolo gunghalin Cooma Seahawks Yass? Goulburn?
Hope I didn't forget anyone

They are really trying to make it hard for all clubs. Could be the longest pre seasons ever.
I don't understand why AFL canberra wouldnt want ANU and ADFA in Div 1. This will be the premier comp in Canberra and if Ainslie and Eastlake drop back then you would have a 10 team comp.
My view and it is only my view the comps should be:
Div 1: Queanbeyan Belconnen Eastlake Ainslie Tuggers Gungahlin ANU ADFA
Div 2: Queanbeyan Belconnen Eastlake Ainslie Tuggers Gunghalin ANU ADFA Woden Harman Molongolo Coota Seahawks Yass? Goulburn?
Div 3: Harman Belconnen Eastlake Ainslie Molongolo gunghalin Cooma Seahawks Yass? Goulburn?
Hope I didn't forget anyone
Yes and that looks good to me too

Hi guys, Long time reader first time poster on this forum.

In regards to the Jets having all NEAFL players that don't make the grade drop back and play for them I think that's a must! I think if the AFL just let Ainslie and Eastlake have the players that don't play NEAFL that week play for their own 2s teams it would make for a weak div 1 competition in the long run. Both clubs would be able to recruit the best U17s/18s from each of the Canberra clubs and lure them over with the incentive of playing NEAFL. That would then make Eastlake and Ainslie nearly unbeatable in Div 1.

The Div 1 comp needs to be a pathway to play NEAL and players need to play good footy for their home club to earn a place on a NEAFL list. I was a big fan of not having Ainslie or Eastlake in the Div 1 comp at all and them just having their 35 listed players. This would of made kids strive to play first grade at their club with the hope of being seen. I now think now you will see all the players in the TPP programs be encouraged to move to Ainslie or Eastlake as 14 & 15 year olds as they can offer a better standard of footy then everyone else.

sockpuppet.jpg

Hi guys, Long time reader first time poster on this forum.

I now think now you will see all the players in the TPP programs be encouraged to move to Ainslie or Eastlake as 14 & 15 year olds as they can offer a better standard of footy then everyone else.

This will all be dependant how long Ainslie and Eastlake keep their Neafl licences. Let's be honest the league has made it clear that they want a one team in Neafl. Once this happens all players will have an equal opportunity for a chance to play Neafl.

The key to this whole setup will be the draught and the communication between Neafl clubs and the div 1 teams. We keep talking about what the players think but I really wonder how the Neafl coaches are feeling. If they are behind it the players will soon change their views. A good senior coach will change the attitude of their players.

We keep talking about the negative of it. Imagine how much it would change the league if it succeeds? I agree I don't know why Anu or Adfa aren't still in div 1. Couldn't Marist be their rising star team. They will dominate the regional comp again.

Are any of the regional teams starting training before Christmas especially since the teams won't be playing until May?

This will all be dependant how long Ainslie and Eastlake keep their Neafl licences. Let's be honest the league has made it clear that they want a one team in Neafl. Once this happens all players will have an equal opportunity for a chance to play Neafl.

The key to this whole setup will be the draught and the communication between Neafl clubs and the div 1 teams. We keep talking about what the players think but I really wonder how the Neafl coaches are feeling. If they are behind it the players will soon change their views. A good senior coach will change the attitude of their players.

We keep talking about the negative of it. Imagine how much it would change the league if it succeeds? I agree I don't know why Anu or Adfa aren't still in div 1. Couldn't Marist be their rising star team. They will dominate the regional comp again.

Are any of the regional teams starting training before Christmas especially since the teams won't be playing until May?
Yass are still looking for a coach , But even if we had one we never start training until February .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back