AFL Canberra Season 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

How are all clubs shaping up? seems like Tuggers have got all there players back and will be strong!!

Replace gungahlin with weston creek and the comp looks awfully familiar. Back to the good old days of teams full of local juniors with a spattering of recruits. Not recruits with a spattering of juniors.

Last edited:
Hi All, Just created myself an account after coming across a bit of interesting information on the Gungahlin Jets website (http://www.gungahlinjets.com.au/content/want-stay-fit-between-now-and-jan-19)

Was just wondering if someone from gungahlin could comment on why they would take the exact conditioning program from Belconnen Magpies, edit out the Belconnen logos and then post it to their own website as if it was their own? Maybe someone that has recently left Belconnen for gungahlin could provide some insight? Would seem pretty pathetic to me to steal a program developed by a coach at another club and claim it as your own, but that's just me.

Hi All, Just created myself an account after coming across a bit of interesting information on the Gungahlin Jets website (http://www.gungahlinjets.com.au/content/want-stay-fit-between-now-and-jan-19)

Was just wondering if someone from gungahlin could comment on why they would take the exact conditioning program from Belconnen Magpies, edit out the Belconnen logos and then post it to their own website as if it was their own? Maybe someone that has recently left Belconnen for gungahlin could provide some insight? Would seem pretty pathetic to me to steal a program developed by a coach at another club and claim it as your own, but that's just me.

Anyone in the position to post the fixture for the 2015 season once it comes out? The league seems slow to update it onto the website.

Doubt we'll see it for a month or so yet... Not convinced AFL Canberra have even worked out the final structure yet.

I've heard May 2nd start for Div 1, 2 and Rising Stars, and the 3 divisions of Div 3 to start 3 weeks earlier...

Doubt we'll see it for a month or so yet... Not convinced AFL Canberra have even worked out the final structure yet.

I've heard May 2nd start for Div 1, 2 and Rising Stars, and the 3 divisions of Div 3 to start 3 weeks earlier...

Also, interesting quote from Steve Mahar in that Fox Pulse article...

“We want to re-establish the AFL Canberra competition as a strong and vibrant competition where teams are playing three games at one venue and have a strong connection to the community and other players within their club. We also want players to see a very clear pathway to play at the highest level without leaving the club they grew up playing juniors for,” he said

Seems strange that they'd draft Ainslie/Eastlake non-NEAFL players to other clubs then.

Yet to see how they plan on sorting this out also...

upload_2015-1-5_14-39-36.png

Who do 1s and 2s play when 18s play Marist? A bye week for senior footy to accommodate 19s seems absurd...

Last edited:
I wonder with the compromise offered by the league for three teams clubs to travel less and one team district clubs travelling more if we have to pay the same dues or fees ?? Less home game less chance of revenue raising etc etc .

I wonder with the compromise offered by the league for three teams clubs to travel less and one team district clubs travelling more if we have to pay the same dues or fees ?? Less home game less chance of revenue raising etc etc .
Having spoken to a few people from the district clubs I understand there not too happy with this agreement and I don't blame them. The Canberra based clubs have the least travel playing 2 other clubs close to them. They are also more central to the other country based teams excluding Coota.
Again looks to me like the district clubs are getting the short straw particularly in areas that need to expose their brand to get more players and interest in the town

Having spoken to a few people from the district clubs I understand there not too happy with this agreement and I don't blame them. The Canberra based clubs have the least travel playing 2 other clubs close to them. They are also more central to the other country based teams excluding Coota.
Again looks to me like the district clubs are getting the short straw particularly in areas that need to expose their brand to get more players and interest in the town

You'd think after they'd shafted ANU and ADFA from 2nd Div, they'd be a bit kinder than to put them in a div made up of them, Yass, Coota, Cooma and the Bay...

Don't get me wrong, that looks like a strong competition and all, but playing in a "Canberra" league and having to travel at least every other week is a stitch up. Obviously increased travel for regional teams as well. Bizarre.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You'd think after they'd shafted ANU and ADFA from 2nd Div, they'd be a bit kinder than to put them in a div made up of them, Yass, Coota, Cooma and the Bay...

Don't get me wrong, that looks like a strong competition and all, but playing in a "Canberra" league and having to travel at least every other week is a stitch up. Obviously increased travel for regional teams as well. Bizarre.

Forgot Goulburn above...

Anyone care to repost what the 3 divs of Div 3 are in this new thread? I've forgotten. :$

Yet to see how they plan on sorting this out also...

View attachment 101176

Who do 1s and 2s play when 18s play Marist? A bye week for senior footy to accommodate 19s seems absurd...

It operated well a while ago. What use to happen is that your 3rds may not play at the same venue all the time. If its a marist home game it use to fall on a friday night. The 3rds will obviously have a bye thrown in. Occasionally you'll have your thirds playing marist in the am. Then the 2s and 1s may play say an eastlake with eastlake 3rds having a bye. If that makes sense.
It worked way back when and very well.

It operated well a while ago. What use to happen is that your 3rds may not play at the same venue all the time. If its a marist home game it use to fall on a friday night. The 3rds will obviously have a bye thrown in. Occasionally you'll have your thirds playing marist in the am. Then the 2s and 1s may play say an eastlake with eastlake 3rds having a bye. If that makes sense.
It worked way back when and very well.

Ok, I think I get what you're getting at here.

Be interesting to see the draw, I suppose.

Hard to understand some of the team placements this year !!!
Third Grade
BBAY
WODEN
MOLONGLO
UC MAGPIES
ADFA
HARMEN
ANU

Fourth Grade
COOMA
YASS
ADFA
GOULBURN
COOTA
UC MAGPIES
ANU

Fifth Grade
TUGGERS
HARMEN
BBAY
WODEN
MOLONGLO
UC MAGPIES
AINSLIE
EASTLAKE.
So if I have this rite Uc Magpies must have a huge in flux of players coming. Woden now have two teams and Ainslie drop from second grade to fifth grade with no where in between is this rite ?

Hard to understand some of the team placements this year !!!
Third Grade
BBAY
WODEN
MOLONGLO
UC MAGPIES
ADFA
HARMEN
ANU

Fourth Grade
COOMA
YASS
ADFA
GOULBURN
COOTA
UC MAGPIES
ANU

Fifth Grade
TUGGERS
HARMEN
BBAY
WODEN
MOLONGLO
UC MAGPIES
AINSLIE
EASTLAKE.
So if I have this rite Uc Magpies must have a huge in flux of players coming. Woden now have two teams and Ainslie drop from second grade to fifth grade with no where in between is this rite ?

Ainslie drop from 3s to 5s.

Our 2s (or I guess who are really our 3s with NEAFL) are still playing 2s, as part of the triple header 18s, 2s, 1s set up. So effectively, they've gone up a grade, if anything...

Bits and bobs. Will see what comes out in February once we are into pre-season. Looks like a good group of young blokes coming through getting involved though so probably have a bit less involvement.

Will UC be putting up some Aussie Rules goal posts as part of the partnership? Or are there already some? I used to walk through there on the way to work and never noticed any (or even a oval big enough for Aussie Rules).

I'm a big fan of the return to first grade, ressies and 18's all being played on the same day at the same venue. I certainly remember loving it as a young player coming through. Play your 18's match, grab a drink (beers if some of the boys were already 18) and a pie and go sit on the hill under the scoreboard for the ressies match, and then be joined by the ressies boys with a few cartons of piss while you watched the seniors. Then back over to the club for presos and out to town afterwards. Best way to spend a Saturday haha

It's a shame for the 3's to 5's though, it looks like a bit of a hodge podge set up down there. Perhaps those lower grades will evolve again when/if Ainslie and Eastlake exit the NEAFL, allowing each of them to have another side spread through the AFL Canberra comp again

Remove this Banner Ad

Back