AFL Canberra Season 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Witch ones were the stars mate ? Anybody know why the ANU fill in players for googong yesterday don't go on the team sheet on the AFL site ?

Bloke who kicked 8 sausage rolls haha. But then I realised he played a few games last year.

Which site is that Cab? They're all named on Sporting Pulse...Surprised that the Bay could drop Green and the likes into the seconds...Comp rules are pretty specific about that.

That said, Belco did drop their whole team into the 4s for the rest of the year so maybe it's now a free for all...

Which site is that Cab? They're all named on Sporting Pulse...Surprised that the Bay could drop Green and the likes into the seconds...Comp rules are pretty specific about that.

That said, Belco did drop their whole team into the 4s for the rest of the year so maybe it's now a free for all...

Thanks Danky I just thought because the Hoggs only listed 17 on sporting pulse that the ANU players mustn't have been included as the Hoggs had 22 .It was Yass that was short ,I tried to steal one of the uni fill ins but the Hoggs wouldn't let me.

Not that there is a perfect way to do this, what about 5 divisions. There is too big of a gap between the top teams and bottom in each grade.

3rd grade
Woden
Batemans Bay
Ainslie
ADFA
ANU
Molonglo
Googong
Possibly Gungahlin if one of these teams would play up?
4th grade
Cootamundra
Goulburn
Yass
UC Magpies
Ainslie
ANU
ADFA
Southern Cats
5th grade
Tuggeranong
Batemans Bay
Molonglo
Woden
Googong
UC Magpies - If they field a 2nd team in 2017.

Not a bad concept. But don't think the gaps are all that bad. Yes we had injuries but they were still solid.

Gonna be a tough weekend at the Bay.

Hi Brentford, Is it right that only the threes are playing at the bay that both fours have a bye ??

Nah they fluffed that one up on the draw. Bay and us aren't meant to have the bye as well and will be playing in the wet this week!

Hi guys. Long time follower, first time poster.
I've followed AFL in Canberra for many years now and have even played a couple of times but I was just wondering what peoples thoughts were on Belconnen playing their 1st grade coach in 4th grade on the weekend?
From what I've heard quite a few guys missed out on selection last week.
I know I'd be furious if I missed out on a game just so that the 1st grade coach could play.

Hi guys. Long time follower, first time poster.
I've followed AFL in Canberra for many years now and have even played a couple of times but I was just wondering what peoples thoughts were on Belconnen playing their 1st grade coach in 4th grade on the weekend?
From what I've heard quite a few guys missed out on selection last week.
I know I'd be furious if I missed out on a game just so that the 1st grade coach could play.

As i understand it a club stalwart was playin a milestone game and quite rightly his mates wanted to be part of it. Can't begrudge em that surely.

As i understand it a club stalwart was playin a milestone game and quite rightly his mates wanted to be part of it. Can't begrudge em that surely.
So are you saying that the guys that missed out on being selected aren't his mates?
I'm just saying that if you drop a grade because you don't have the numbers to field 2 teams, you don't leave out players who are doing the right things to play "a mate."
Seems to me that Belco are doing whatever they can to win a 4th grade premiership. And doing it poorly.

So are you saying that the guys that missed out on being selected aren't his mates?
I'm just saying that if you drop a grade because you don't have the numbers to field 2 teams, you don't leave out players who are doing the right things to play "a mate."
Seems to me that Belco are doing whatever they can to win a 4th grade premiership. And doing it poorly.

Yeah its going well for em so far...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was talking to a mate who used to play for them lastnight and apparently the reason they've lost so many players is because they sacked 2 VOLUNTEER coaches last year. The 3rd grade coach and the women's coach. Both had been around the club for over 10 years apparently.
Not sure if this is the reason they've lost so many players or not but I can't imagine it would've helped.
Maybe the culture at the club isn't what it used to be, my mate was always trying to get me to go there and play and said it had a really good culture but said to me lastnight that its all changed in the last couple of years and he wouldn't return.
Belco supporters have always been happy to give a bit of lip from the sideline though haven't they? Poor form if you don't supply an umpire though.

Heard they didn't provide umpires for either the 4s or the women's as well, but their sideline contingent were pretty happy to get into the ANU umpire?

I heard that as well!! If they had a heap of blokes miss out surely one of them could have grabbed a whistle...20 or 30 belco blokes sitting in the stand with 1 umpire (from the away team) controlling the play...That's very ordinary.

I heard that as well!! If they had a heap of blokes miss out surely one of them could have grabbed a whistle...20 or 30 belco blokes sitting in the stand with 1 umpire (from the away team) controlling the play...That's very ordinary.

They might have had one for the women's apparently, but still. As you say, having a bunch of blokes in the stands for the 4s game but no ump isn't great.

They might have had one for the women's apparently, but still. As you say, having a bunch of blokes in the stands for the 4s game but no ump isn't great.

Can happily say the Bay provided two umpires for both games on the weekend as we had just enough to head down the coast with, credit to the kids in our 4's game as well wasn't easy conditions. but they did an awesome job to umpire.

Always expect to cop stick as a player, but if you're getting stuck into a bunch of volunteers, especially if it's your responsibility to provide one then it's pretty ordinary from Belco.

While I'm no fan of giving it to any umpires (as I've umpired myself), assuming that the entire crowd at Belco for Puddles' 100th was made up of guys not selected is ridiculous. Yes an umpire should have been supplied, but there might have been 1 or 2 guys who missed out, the majority of the guys on the sideline were either 1/2s players or ineligible.

Looks like Onawire is one of those 2-3 that missed out or a sacked volunteer coach. That or a disgruntled ex-player.

While I'm no fan of giving it to any umpires (as I've umpired myself), assuming that the entire crowd at Belco for Puddles' 100th was made up of guys not selected is ridiculous. Yes an umpire should have been supplied, but there might have been 1 or 2 guys who missed out, the majority of the guys on the sideline were either 1/2s players or ineligible.

Looks like Onawire is one of those 2-3 that missed out or a sacked volunteer coach. That or a disgruntled ex-player.
Ha ha would you like to have a couple more guesses at who you think I am spatfers? I've not had anything to do with Belco but am merely writing about stuff I've witnessed or heard about. If any of what I've written is untrue then let me know and I'll happily withdraw my comment.

Ha ha would you like to have a couple more guesses at who you think I am spatfers? I've not had anything to do with Belco but am merely writing about stuff I've witnessed or heard about. If any of what I've written is untrue then let me know and I'll happily withdraw my comment.

I couldn't care less who you are. Why would I want to know who someone is when their first post is a whinge about a club they admit they've had nothing to do with from third-hand information?

I couldn't care less who you are. Why would I want to know who someone is when their first post is a whinge about a club they admit they've had nothing to do with from third-hand information?
So you don't want to know who I am but you're quiet happy to throw the 2/3 that missed out, the sacked volunteer coaches or a disgruntled ex player under the bus.
That sounds fair.
I was merely saying that I would have thought Belco would drop their 4th grade side before their 3rd grade side and that they would play all available players before selecting the 1st grade playing coach. As you said earlier I don't know the reasons why they dropped their 3rd grade side nor do I care. It's just my opinion that they're trying to win a 4th grade premiership at any cost. Surely even you can see that that's how it looks.

So you don't want to know who I am but you're quiet happy to throw the 2/3 that missed out, the sacked volunteer coaches or a disgruntled ex player under the bus.
That sounds fair.
I was merely saying that I would have thought Belco would drop their 4th grade side before their 3rd grade side and that they would play all available players before selecting the 1st grade playing coach. As you said earlier I don't know the reasons why they dropped their 3rd grade side nor do I care. It's just my opinion that they're trying to win a 4th grade premiership at any cost. Surely even you can see that that's how it looks.

As you say you don't really know anything about the situation, you 'heard it from a mate'. All you need do is look at the results to see your opinion isn't based on anything of merit.

As you say you don't really know anything about the situation, you 'heard it from a mate'. All you need do is look at the results to see your opinion isn't based on anything of merit.[/QUOTE
As I said earlier Spatfers, "they're doing it poorly." Can you explain why else they would play a 1st grade player in 4th grade and leave players (all be it 2 or 3) to sit on the sideline and watch?

Um speaking of doing it poorly............

If you classify playing a first grade coach in a one-off game for a club stalwart's 100th as all-out tanking to win a 4th grade grand final you know even less about footy than I can comprehend.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back