AFL, Channel 73 and Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Daddy Bolt

Cancelled
May 13, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Here is an example of the AFL media deal and how the AFL manages growth in Brisbane.
Channel 73 scheduling on Saturday 30 June:
1:30 - 2:00 Beverly Hills Pawn
2:00 - 2:30 Beverly Hills Pawn
2:30 - 3:00 Beverly Hills Pawn
3:00 - 4:00 Ice Road Truckers
4:00 - 5:00 Ice Road Truckers
5:00 - 6:00 Ice Road Truckers
6:00 - 7:00 Dynamo - Magician Impossible
7:00 - 10:00 AFL Suns vs Magpies (BLOCKBUSTER)
Can the muppets who run the AFL be replaced before next week?

Can you explain to me what's wrong with this TV schedule??

There's regular 7mate programming on during the afternoon followed by a Saturday night game featuring a Queensland side (assisting in the growth of the game in Queensland).

It's to do with the broadcast agreement, 7mate can only show 4 games maximum per weekend into QLD IIRC and that's all they'd want to do IMO.

Shows the interest in the AFL in Queensland though that repeats of Pawn Stars and Ice Road Truckers out rate games.

#generallypleasedGill

I prefer that Pawn show with Seth who wears the gold chains, and that guy in Vegas who always gets one of his buddies in who knows more about stuff.

I thought there were like 5 of them and they were all called Rick?

"How much do you want to pawn this for?"
"$1000"
"Best I can do is $300"
"600 then?
"I'll give you $325"
"Okay. Deal"

Customer being interviewed outside afterward "I'm glad we could negotiate a fair price."
You forgot the 'What do you want to do with this, pawn or sell?'
I don't think I've ever seen anyone answer pawn.

You forgot the 'What do you want to do with this, pawn or sell?'
I don't think I've ever seen anyone answer pawn.

And of course I forgot his father saying something "hilarious" at his desk while pretending to be asleep.

Here is an example of the AFL media deal and how the AFL manages growth in Brisbane.
Channel 73 scheduling on Saturday 30 June:

Can the muppets who run the AFL be replaced before next week?

Im confused as to what you're complaining about?
All QLD team games are beamed live into QLD on Ch7 or its affiliate stations
The only FTA game on a Saturday is the saturday night game.

For VIC, NSW it is GWS v Hawks.
For SA they get both Carlton Port and Adelaide West Coast
For WA they get Adelaide West Coast and GWS Hawks
For QLD it's Suns Pies

In QLD, NSW and sometimes WA, games are 99% of the time shown on 7mate
VIC and SA on 7 main channel.

"How much do you want to pawn this for?"
"$1000"
"Best I can do is $300"
"600 then?
"I'll give you $325"
"Okay. Deal"

Customer being interviewed outside afterward "I'm glad we could negotiate a fair price."

Rick's Restorations
"I've got this vintage vending machine i wanna restore. How much to have it done?"

"Well we gotta tear it down, rechrome these parts, make sure the mechanisms are working, sand blast and paint, new decals. Im looking at 10 thousand."

"Gee that's alot more than i was looking at spending. What the heck ok."

To the camera, "Yeah its alot of money, but you can't put a price on memories"

Rick just did....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rick's Restorations
"I've got this vintage vending machine i wanna restore. How much to have it done?"

"Well we gotta tear it down, rechrome these parts, make sure the mechanisms are working, sand blast and paint, new decals. Im looking at 10 thousand."

"Gee that's alot more than i was looking at spending. What the heck ok."

To the camera, "Yeah its alot of money, but you can't put a price on memories"

Rick just did....
Yep and pays his guys $7.50 an hour to do the work.

For VIC, NSW it is GWS v Hawks.
For SA they get both Carlton Port and Adelaide West Coast
For WA they get Adelaide West Coast and GWS Hawks
For QLD it's Suns Pies

In QLD, NSW and sometimes WA, games are 99% of the time shown on 7mate
VIC and SA on 7 main channel.
Actually this is a good point.
I never realised, QLD get all their games live on FTA?
Just checked and yes they get the Suns tonight and the Lions tomorrow. And yet someone complains?
Surely this is a troll? Or do they really complain about having to switch to 7mate?
Do they get every game for the year on FTA?

Just checked and yes they get the Suns tonight and the Lions tomorrow. And yet someone complains?
Surely this is a troll? Or do they really complain about having to switch to 7mate?
Whenever you hear interstate fans complaning about VIC bias in FTA games remember this:

All West coast and Freo games are shown live in WA (except 3 away games each)
All Adelaide and Port games are shown live in SA (except 3 away games each)
All GWS and Sydney games are shown live in NSW
All Brisbane and GC games are shown live in QLD

So when Ch 7 choses which games it wants on friday nights, this is the reason why they favour VIC teams. Because for every interstate team on a Ch 7 game, that's one less VIC team on FTA, but that interstate team still gets air time in their home state.

I live in BRISBANE and follow the Lions. Just because the Gold Coast is also in Queensland doesn't mean I have any interest in them (I don't). The %$#@ Suns shouldn't even be in the AFL because the Queensland market can't support two AFL teams - the two Queensland teams just dish up uncompetitive dross year-in year-out because of AFL expansion ineptitude.

If Suns are playing their brand of crap Sat night then FTA force-feeds that to the Brisbane market (ditto with the Lions and the Cold Coast market) ... very frustrating when there is a decent game on elsewhere. The alternative, is FoxTel's Sport Pack to be able to stream any live AFL game ... that's $44/mth even though I have no interest in NRL, NBA, NFL, Super Rugby, Supercars, Formula 1, Soccer, etc ... no way.

I live in BRISBANE and follow the Lions. Just because the Gold Coast is also in Queensland doesn't mean I have any interest in them (I don't). The %$#@ Suns shouldn't even be in the AFL because the Queensland market can't support two AFL teams - the two Queensland teams just dish up uncompetitive dross year-in year-out because of AFL expansion ineptitude.

If Suns are playing their brand of crap Sat night then FTA force-feeds that to the Brisbane market (ditto with the Lions and the Cold Coast market) ... very frustrating when there is a decent game on elsewhere. The alternative, is FoxTel's Sport Pack to be able to stream any live AFL game ... that's $44/mth even though I have no interest in NRL, NBA, NFL, Super Rugby, Supercars, Formula 1, Soccer, etc ... no way.
Understandable. But you gotta take the good with the bad. You get all 22 lions games on fta. Vic teams get average 9 games a year on fta.

Sounds like your issue is with the Suns rather than the TV deal... I live in Northern NSW but get GWS and Sydney games live on FTA every week. By your reasoning I should be complaining I don't get every Suns game live each week because geographically I live closer to them than any other club.

You do realise not all QLDers follow the Lions or Suns?

Plenty of better matches available, but they show your boys bury the Suns.

Boomerfan is correct. In qld we have had every terrible lions and suns game for years, instead of the ch7 game, which is a much better game 90% of the time.
We would MUCH prefer that ch7 broadcast the same 3 or 4 games throughout the country each week, with every team being shown equally.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back