AFL Club Ownership Summary

Remove this Banner Ad

On the surface that's a positive, tempered somewhat by the fact that the WAFC appoints all the directors of both AFL clubs anyway.

At least in WA if you trace the links far enough you will end up at individual members of WAFL clubs 'owning' everything. They elect their club boards which as a collective have a majority of votes to elect the WAFC, and the WAFC owns the two licenses and the power that gives them in regards to the AFL Commission.

I can tend to fall down the rabbit hole on this sort of stuff. The relationship between the club members and the clubs and the AFL has been a bit of a focus for me and this week sort of ticked me off a bit.

Yeah i saw that Freo went backwards in a way and reverted to having the WAFC appointing everyone instead of 2 member elected dudes. Odd.I wonder why

Yeah i saw that Freo went backwards in a way and reverted to having the WAFC appointing everyone instead of 2 member elected dudes. Odd.I wonder why
Perth Stadium? Didn't sell out like the Eagles and demand v supply imbalance that worked so well for them at Subi, isn't working at Perth Stadium as its been flipped to a supply v demand imbalance and WAFC is worried about their financial strength?

On the surface that's a positive, tempered somewhat by the fact that the WAFC appoints all the directors of both AFL clubs anyway.

At least in WA if you trace the links far enough you will end up at individual members of WAFL clubs 'owning' everything. They elect their club boards which as a collective have a majority of votes to elect the WAFC, and the WAFC owns the two licenses and the power that gives them in regards to the AFL Commission.

I can tend to fall down the rabbit hole on this sort of stuff. The relationship between the club members and the clubs and the AFL has been a bit of a focus for me and this week sort of ticked me off a bit.

The traditional relationship between club & members is rarely relevant imho, Eddie has run the Pies as a benevolent dictator & its worked, Melbourne fans watched on as the administration was rebuilt ....

As an Eagles fan/member over the journey I've not felt shortchanged, but whats best for the game in WA is more important than the Eagles, I'm a Subi fan from birth.

I cant even get a copy of the WAFC Constitution
It's on their website

There shall be two classes of membership of the Commission known as Ordinary Members and Nominee Members.

5.2 The Ordinary Members of the Commission shall be those persons who are Commissioners from time to time. An Ordinary Member will cease to be a Member if that person ceases to hold officer as a Commissioner for whatever reason.

5.3 The Nominee Members of the Commission shall be those persons who are appointed in accordance with Article 5.4. A Nominee Member will cease to be a Member if their appointment is revoked under Article 5.4(d).

5.4 Nominee Members:

(a) Each of the IPL, the FFC and each WAFL Club must appoint a person to be a Nominee Member of the Commission who must be either the chair, president or an elected member for the time being of the board of directors or committee of management or other committee which has the power to manage and control the affairs of each body appointing him or her.

(b) A Nominee Member may appoint a delegate to attend and vote in his or her stead at any meeting or meetings attended by Nominee Members, on the following conditions:

(i) the Delegate must be either the chair, president, chief executive officer or an elected member for the time being of the board of directors or the committee of management or other committee which has the power to manage and control the affairs of the Club that appointed the Nominee Member;
(ii) the Nominee Member must notify the Commission in writing before the meeting of the attendance and name of the Delegate; and
(iii) the Nominee Member may take the place of the Delegate at any meeting by notifying the chair of the replacement.
(c) A Nominee Member and Delegate must not act as and will not be or be deemed to be a trustee for or agent of the body which appoints the Nominee Member, but must act for the encouragement and promotion of Football in accordance with the objects and purposes of the Commission set out in this Constitution.
(d) The IPL, the FFC or any WAFL Club may terminate the appointment of its Nominee Member by giving notice in writing of such termination to the Commission, and such termination also terminates the appointment of any Delegate. Upon such termination or appointment, the Club concerned must appoint another nominee in accordance with Article 5.4 to replace the nominee whose appointment has been terminated.

Perth Stadium? Didn't sell out like the Eagles and demand v supply imbalance that worked so well for them at Subi, isn't working at Perth Stadium as its been flipped to a supply v demand imbalance and WAFC is worried about their financial strength?

I think it was more because the voting turnout was consistently poor than anything else.

It's not like Freo haven't cashed in at Optus. Membership revenue is massive and crowds have gone up significantly (despite some indifferent results on field). Not as much as West Coast, but that's hardly a reasonable marker. It has come with a big jump in costs that can be related to the move to Cockburn. That's on the current board and management IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back