AFL Club supporters by Melbourne suburbs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't remember where the video is but there was some presentation about Richmond changing their second training base from Cragieburn to Cardinia, and how it was a good choice because there's already a high population with connections (I.e parents) that support Richmond.

Fitzroy had a demographic of northen /south eastern suburbs but surprisingly Essendon/Collingwood supporters have a soft spot for the club.
And this reflects their love of history , Fitzroy still is alive in the memory of young and older people in his town. God bless them.

As per the 2014 membership number here is the top 3 heartland suburbs of each Victorian club

Carlton - Reservoir, Coburg, Mill Park

Collingwood- Reservoir, Mill Park, Berwick

Essendon - Essendon, Point Cook, Werribee,

Geelong - Geelong, Point Cook, Werribee

Hawthorn- Croydon, Hawthorn, Glen Waverley

North Melbourne- Point Cook, Werribee, Hoppers Crossing

Melbourne- Glen Iris, Brighton, Hawthorn

Richmond- Richmond, Cranbourne, Narre Warren

St.Kilda - Bentliegh, McKinnon, Ormond

Westeern Bulldogs - Point Cook, Werribee, Derrimut

As per the 2014 membership number here is the top 3 heartland suburbs of each Victorian club

Carlton - Reservoir, Coburg, Mill Park

Collingwood- Reservoir, Mill Park, Berwick

Essendon - Essendon, Point Cook, Werribee,

Geelong - Geelong, Point Cook, Werribee

Hawthorn- Croydon, Hawthorn, Glen Waverley

North Melbourne- Point Cook, Werribee, Hoppers Crossing

Melbourne- Glen Iris, Brighton, Hawthorn

Richmond- Richmond, Cranbourne, Narre Warren

St.Kilda - Bentliegh, McKinnon, Ormond

Westeern Bulldogs - Point Cook, Werribee, Derrimut

So going by these stats most popular team on each train line would be;

Williamstown - Western Bulldogs (all bulldogs)
Werribee - Western Bulldogs
Sunbury - Essendon ( Essendon dominate Sunbury line from Sunshine Station, from Footscray to Tottenham its bulldogs)
Craigieburn - Essendon ( all Essendon)
Upfield - Carlton
South Morang - Collingwood
Hurstbridge - Collingwood
Lilydale - Hawthorn
Belgrave - Hawthorn
Glen Waverley - Hawthorn
Alamein - Hawthorn
Pakenham - Richmond
Cranbourne - Richmond
Frankston - St.Kilda
Sandringham - Melbourne

Last edited:
Can't remember where the video is but there was some presentation about Richmond changing their second training base from Cragieburn to Cardinia, and how it was a good choice because there's already a high population with connections (I.e parents) that support Richmond.

Might be tied in with our fitness club venture in the area, which was going very well last I heard.

Fitzroy had a demographic of northen /south eastern suburbs but surprisingly Essendon/Collingwood supporters have a soft spot for the club.
And this reflects their love of history , Fitzroy still is alive in the memory of young and older people in his town. God bless them.

Fitzroy supporters hated Collingwood and the feeling was mutual!
I've been at GF's and loads of finals where we have lost and then you cop it from the opposition. But nothing compares to the vitriol and downright spite we copped from those GF losses in 2002 & especially 2003. It was like the pent up rivalry of 100 years plus the anger at being merged and shipped off to Brisbane was directed at us once we were beaten. The Lions supporters near me on both games were horrible..the worst I've ever encountered at pouring scorn on you once you've been beaten. I'm assuming many of them, if not most would have been Melbourne based ex-Fitzroy.
Soft spot.....you've got to be kidding.

Last edited:
Richmond are everywhere.

I get on the Hurstbridge line and it's chock full of Tigers.

Plenty of Tigers in Berwick also.

Collingwood are no.1 Easely on the hurstbridge line followed blues then tigers

Collingwood easily first of south Morang line even more then hurstbridge

Upfield would be Carlton then Essendon the Collingwood

Richmond are pakenham and Cranbourne probably just in front of Collingwood

Collingwood have fans everywhere. On every trainline we would be top 3 most supported club maybe except for lilydale line were it would be Hawthorn, Richmond, Carlton and Essendon then pies would be next.

On the Werribee line my train line bulldogs dominate from

Footscray station to Williams Landing

Essendon dominate from hoppers Crossing to Werribee.

Last edited:
Haven't seen what you are referring too but for a quick reference follow the train lines;

Epping / Hurstbridge = Collingwood
Upfield = Carlton
Broadmeadows = Essendon
Werribee = Bulldogs
Frankston = St Kilda
Eastern lines (Alamein, Belgrave, Lilydale, Glen Waverley) = Richmond / Hawthorn

Obviously not exclusive but close to the mark where the supporter bases are located.

Melbourne's supporter base was linked to the old MCC and a ground membership. Most of their supporters would be south of the city in the wealthier suburbs.

North Melbourne is a bit like the old Fitzroy. A suburb locked in by clubs with bigger supported bases. ie Fitzroy was b/w Carlton and Collingwood and North is b/w Carlton and Essendon.

This pretty much gets it right !!

This pretty much gets it right !!

You forgot Pakenham and Cranbourne. Richmond would be just in front Of the pies, hawks then Bombers

Sandringham is mostly Melbourne from south Yarra to Brighton. Hampton and Sandringham is the saints

Frankston is St.Kilda then Collingwood the Essendon

Williamstown is bulldogs easily then Essendon and then Collingwood.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond used to be huge in Waverley - I went to primary school there, and we always had Richmond players at footy clinics etc. Probably because it was Richmond's zone back then.

Demographics of Mount and Glen Waverley have changed A LOT in the last 20-30 years.

From the data i have seen which is limited.
How does Melton fall in terms of Afl support?
And i see north has western suburbs? Is this just the south west big suburbs werribee, hoppers points or does north also have caroline springs, hillside, sydenham or any of the keilors? Or is its fan suburbs more of the brunswick, coburg, Pascoe vale, oak park and glenroy areas?

And for Carlton are they more likely to go into places like south morang and epping rather than west of coburg/ brunswick. Was caulfield a one of suburb or did other inner east /se suburbs hit there top 20?.

From the data i have seen which is limited.
How does Melton fall in terms of Afl support?
And i see north has western suburbs? Is this just the south west big suburbs werribee, hoppers points or does north also have caroline springs, hillside, sydenham or any of the keilors? Or is its fan suburbs more of the brunswick, coburg, Pascoe vale, oak park and glenroy areas?

And for Carlton are they more likely to go into places like south morang and epping rather than west of coburg/ brunswick. Was caulfield a one of suburb or did other inner east /se suburbs hit there top 20?.
Melton would be a mix with the Bulldogs being the most common. Ditto Hoppers, Werribee ext
North have quite a few supporters around Ascot Vale & Kensington

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Very clever strategy. One of the major reasons Richmond has the largest Victorian based membership.

West -Bulldogs
Nth West - Essendon , Nth Melb
North - Carlton
North East - Collingwood, Carlton
East , Sth East - Hawks , Richmond , Collingwood
South - Saints

Inner South East WASPs Melbourne , Jewish Carlton

West -Bulldogs
North - Carlton
South - Saints

Think you will find there’s a building Dees base out Casey way

There seems to be a factor of the old zones especially in the outer east. But not to overtake the old train lines. It seems the newer big growth areas werribee area and berwick pakenham is just a big mix?
So would new italians migrants on the whole pick Carlton? Does that pull happen now without the move to Carlton. Or the irish go collingwood, north?
The age did some member numbers top 10 pre collingwood richmond game. The numbers were interesting. Richmond as suburb must be heavy in members as % vs suburb pop (mostly richmond obviously)

West -Bulldogs
North - Carlton
South - Saints

I have to disagree with this. Once you get out of the name suburbs and walking distance from training grounds it's all a big blur. 9-10 clubs been playing at two grounds for decades.

Very clever strategy. One of the major reasons Richmond has the largest Victorian based membership.

That is a very good video, but I would add one thing that was touched on in the video, Craigieburn was a more crowded market as it was also serviced by Carlton, Collingwood and to a lesser extent Essendon which are all northern suburban clubs.

I have to disagree with this. Once you get out of the name suburbs and walking distance from training grounds it's all a big blur. 9-10 clubs been playing at two grounds for decades.

I think looking at what i have seen\available for the 20 biggest suburbs by members the areas are the most likely places to find higher % of a team's supporters. However in terms of a team dominating suburbs i suspect not too many would be say 60% plus for one club. A few obvious ones with 2.5k members for Richmond in Richmond with 340 Collingwood. However actual numbers is in short supply to prove this.

I don't think North have any supporters in one particular area
I think Carlton used to be really in one area the outer/inner north but now they have moved to places like the east like Bullen/Kew
Collingwood are all over the place
Essendon are kinda like Carlton
Richmond now are mainly in the south east

I don't think North have any supporters in one particular area
I think Carlton used to be really in one area the outer/inner north but now they have moved to places like the east like Bullen/Kew
Collingwood are all over the place
Essendon are kinda like Carlton
Richmond now are mainly in the south east
Essendon supporter base is as broad as Collingwood’s. Carlton also have a broad national following that will explode on any success.

Essendon are almost as big as Collingwood, separating itself from Richmond and to a lesser degree Carlton by virtue of this vast national following.

In particular, it has huge support in WA, QLD and the NT. Three weeks ago we again saw the breadth of its national support when the Bombers took over Launceston with Bombers fans coming from all over Tasmania to pack out the Launceston ground against Hawthorn. It dominated the crowd at Dreamtime in WA against the Tigers and the 5,114 at yesterday’s Metricon game was the largest non Suns / Lions derby crowd since COVID games were shifted last year (excluding the top of table Tigers / Cats GF preview game last year).

Despite not winning a final in 17 years, it has 80,000 members, right alongside Collingwood who’ve had much more recent on field success compared to Essendon. This speaks to this latent support. On any success you will see the more casual support join the bandwagon (just like Richmond in 2017/8) which would see Essendon go well beyond 100,000 members, possibly pushing 120,000 if it can tap into that support outside Victoria.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back