AFL.com.au Website Update: "New Digital Publishing Experience"

Remove this Banner Ad

So the site is fairly rubbish, isn't it?

Don't know how such a large company partnered with another huge company can honestly produce something this rubbish. Students in education wouldn't even get a pass mark producing this, yet it's the face of a business? Wow

You know the website is trash when you can't see the ladder and you cant see the scores from recent matches without having to do a whole lot of clicking and digging

I didn't realise I was doing it, but I actually find that typing 'AFL' into google brings up match scores and the ladder quicker than the afl.com site does, which is really a joke

meanwhile the afl.com site is full of woman's day type articles and dominated by Kane Cornes and Damien Barrett

You know the website is trash when you can't see the ladder and you cant see the scores from recent matches without having to do a whole lot of clicking and digging

I didn't realise I was doing it, but I actually find that typing 'AFL' into google brings up match scores and the ladder quicker than the afl.com site does, which is really a joke

meanwhile the afl.com site is full of woman's day type articles and dominated by Kane Cornes and Damien Barrett

I used to think I wanted footy scores. Luckily the AFL was there to show me that what I really wanted was to watch 'The Last Time I Cried - Presented by Our CEO's Brother - Sponsored by Vitamins'.

I mean, I've never actually seen it because I can't get any of the videos to work. But it's nice to know that in theory it is possible to watch gripping content like that.

No doubt you aren't alone there, which is music to the AFL's and Google's ears. Ain't no joke, just good business.

The trouble is they try to give too much at once, there's so much clutter that everything takes ages to load.

They should take a leaf out of the BBC Football site. Different sport, country and media type (publicly owned national broadcaster) but the principles are the same.
Simple.
Uncluttered.
One window.
Scores and table up front.
Few hyperlinks embedded in text, linked articles under the title and at the bottom, that's it.
Two or three colours, few logos.
Less is more.

It's such a horror of a website to navigate and use now that when I want the latest footy news I just go to the AFL community on Reddit.

"Working closely with our technology partner Telstra and digital media technology company Pulselive, we are about to transition to a new Content Management System – the tool we use to make our content come to life.

Everything you know and love on AFL.com.au and the club websites will soon be published from this new system as we aim to take user-experience to the next level."

"We have some exciting things in store for some of our favourite features too:

- Match Centre
- Ladder Predictor
- Stats Pro"

What does this mean for the AFL website?

Is this a sign that the AFL will be pushing 'fee-for-service' memberships for access to shiny new things, similar to those that require a Telstra account?

This is a sign that once again shows how little the AFL understands the internet. A content management system is simply a system which identifies where content is usually in a database or directory, it can notify people when content is expired or links are dead and is used to publish (ie send) content live. It is not something anyone with a clue would release as public information, it is a backend system.

This announcement says we have changed the CMS which has no relevance for a site visitor. The only relevance is that whenever something is changed on this website they manage to make it worse.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back