AFL Concessions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Figured this deserves a thread of its own.

What you like? What you don't think was necessary? Or what you would have preferred.

The Suns will receive draft concessions for the next three years as part of the package, as well as expanded academy player access that will include the entirety of Darwin.

The additional picks will now count as Gold Coast's assets, meaning it will be able to trade the selections as it sees fit across the next three years.

Its three years of draft assistance includes:

• Pick No.1 at the 2019 NAB AFL Draft.
  • The first pick of the second round (currently pick No.20) at the 2019 NAB AFL Draft.
  • Mid first-round pick (currently pick No.11) at the 2020 NAB AFL Draft.
  • The first pick of the second round (currently Pick.19) at the 2021 NAB AFL Draft.

It will also get Darwin as part of its expanded Academy access zone, while it will be able to pre-list players out of that region without the AFL's normal bidding processes.

The final part of its assistance package will be the ability to rookie up to 10 players.

I think more money, not in the TPP but more in the soft cap for the football department would have been nice. To get the best medical/rehab/coaching staff.

But father son picks aren't?

On ONEPLUS A6013 using BigFooty.com mobile app
There's many ways the draft is or can be compromised. F/S has been going long before GC came about. At least other clubs can bid on F/S should they decide too. It's great for the game. I don't think we can compare to two.

There's many ways the draft is or can be compromised. F/S has been going long before GC came about. At least other clubs can bid on F/S should they decide too. It's great for the game. I don't think we can compare to two.
Of course we can compared them. I believe Dogs have at the moment 6 F/S players. How many Geelong have? How many Suns have? Or look at NGA joke and how many quality players VFL teams got from it already and compare it with Suns academy output (Bowes is the only quality player so far). There is nothing fair about AFL competition, it's biased enormously towards VFL teams.

Suns were established by AFL to expand footy in NRL region to make it more national competition with TV rights main factor behind. Suns is not some private entity with a license. AFL owns and runs Suns. AFL screwed up Suns set up on all levels. Can you imagine that Cats would operate from metal sheds for 8 years while underfunded at all levels and started with coach, CEO who never been in the position before? Now AFL tries to fix the mess they created. To top it off, Melbourne media, fans now blame Suns rather than focusing on hopeless AFL(VFL) headquarters. Right now Suns need as much help they can get and yet AFL still refused to give Suns the most efficient assistance to attract players in their prime - extra salary cap.

Once Suns are established properly and play finals you can start talking about making Suns play by the same rules.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back