Coalface

Team Captain
Mar 1, 2015
Jakarta
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Fish Creek Football Club

As per the article, "With the more stringent policy, a concussed player with a six-day break or less ahead of their next match will have little to no chance of playing. "

Will/should this lead to higher penalties where an infraction leads to a concussion?
A free kick seems inadequate compared to losing a player for the rest of the match and the likelihood of next weeks match. Also disadvantages clubs who find themselves with additional short breaks in the "draw".

I really like this.

Concussive symptoms (at rest) often resolve by around day 8, whilst full metabolic recovery does not typically occur until as late as 21-28 days post-injury (some recover sooner; longer recovery = Post Concussive Syndrome; a technically separate diagnosis). Too many GP's, that I speak to, often don't have any evidence behind their recommendations re: return to sport timelines, and admit as much.

The AFL has a massive chance to be a world leader in how we treat concussion; the NFL and NHL are establishing good practises in this space, but it's an ongoing process. I'd like to see some form of collaboration between professional sporting leagues, around the globe, so that they may share data in order to expedite the process in finding a suitable protocol.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
In my entirely unscientific observation, players who get concussed often play pretty poorly the following week anyway.

I'd give them all a week off.

I think you'll find less players going kamikaze with their head too once they find out they have to miss next week, which is also a good thing.

I think you'll find less players going kamikaze with their head too once they find out they have to miss next week, which is also a good thing.

I'd like that to be a free kick against as well. Only needs a slight reinterpretation..

If you initiate contact with the head, it's a free against you, even if it's your own head.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets

As per the article, "With the more stringent policy, a concussed player with a six-day break or less ahead of their next match will have little to no chance of playing. "

Will/should this lead to higher penalties where an infraction leads to a concussion?
A free kick seems inadequate compared to losing a player for the rest of the match and the likelihood of next weeks match. Also disadvantages clubs who find themselves with additional short breaks in the "draw".

No there shouldn't be a higher infraction if it leads to a concussion. Hitting Patty McCartin in the exact same way as hitting Joel Selwood shouldn't result in different penalties. I still hate that accidental headclashes end up as anything

Back