AFL Considering fixture changes which will benefit WA teams in particular.

Remove this Banner Ad

These proposed alterations to the fixture appear to be an ambit claim and we'll probably end up with a watered down version.

Every club could spend 7-9 days away from home at some stage during the season and play twice in the one state in that time.

Regarding a compressed fixture, it would be a wasted opportunity if midweek matches during both the autumn and winter school holidays weren't utilized in the future. It's the perfect place to put run of the mill matches that wouldn't necessarily attract huge crowds, but would provide additional content for TV in a 24 game season.

So bascially, a repeat of this season?

Freo had essendon in Melbourne.

Then the Virus threw a spanner into things.

Freo then spends rounds 2-6 in a Queensland hub. then Spends rounds 7-13, 7 games in its Home state in Perth. Then rounds 14-17 in a Queensland hub again. I can tolerate that.

Saying that, I think Both WA clubs would want 4 games in WA, then Hub in Queensland for 4 games, then comeback to WA for 4 games again then play 4 games in Queensland. Thats if All 10 Victorian clubs are forced to hub in Queensland next season.

If SA can open their Borders, I dont mind Seeing Freo and West coast play 4 games in a row vs Port, Crows, Hawks and Dogs.

Or if NSW can loosen some border restrictions, Let the WA clubs play 4 NSW games in a row vs GWS, Swans, North and Saints as an example.

NSW never had border restrictions beyond the first month of lockdown and for Viccos after they screwed the pooch with their shambles quarantining.

We have pushed for open borders for months.

Was the footy frenzy a success? I just tuned out during the week then had less games to choose from on the weekend, so watched less footy on the weekend.

OP contends Vic clubs are shitter than NSW and QLD teams.

Also lacks citing evidence why it benefits WA teams more than SA teams.

I give this thread 4 thumbs down

Would have thought the advantages to WA teams are pretty obvious. They’ve been complaining about the detrimental effects of numerous long haul flights for years. WA teams currently travel twice as much as Vic teams, and fly a lot further than Vic and SA teams. Surely halving the number of long haul flights each season for WA teams would be a huge benefit.

Perhaps you’re just being deliberately obtuse.

Headline claims the footy frenzy was a success. Where's the evidence for this?
People generally have/had nothing to do/couldn't do anything on most weeknights in 2020 and therefore watched footy because it was on. Therefore the AFL deems it a success.

Depends if the changes are just for next year or forever more. 2021 might be a do what we can year again, but long term I'd prefer the regular season structure or the following options.

Happy for them to run shorter quarters if it means more games, but I don't want to see less footy.

Long, long term Id either like less teams and a full home and away structure, or more teams and play each other once.

Extended road trips have some logic to them I guess though I don’t necessarily see it being any cheaper.

I could see clubs choosing to revert back to a fly in fly out model just to get home more often and use training facilities etc between games and save money on accommodation.

Do Eagles and Dockers supporters think their teams would prefer to spend 3-4 weeks at a time in Melbourne over flying in and out? I don’t think they would.

How this justifies shortening quarters in any way is beyond me.

Last edited:
Extended road trips have some logic to them I guess though I don’t necessarily see it being any cheaper.

I could see clubs choosing to revert back to a fly in fly out model just to get home more often and use training facilities etc between games and save money on accommodation.

Do Eagles and Dockers supporters think their teams would prefer to spend 3-4 weeks at a time in Melbourne over flying in and out? I don’t think they would.

How this justifies shortening quarters in any way is beyond me.
well this is coming from a Freo supporter. The docker players posted a 7-10 record this season. Not to mention Freo were competitive for most games this year.

Of those 7 wins, only 3 wins in WA this season. Collingwood, Swans, hawks. Magpies we got them at the right time with bad form and injuries. Swans and hawks were bottom 4/6 sides that are rebuilding.

Then you look at the 4 wins Freo got in Queensland. Crows, Saints, demons and north. Crows were just horrible in thoses 1st 10-12 games of the season. Got the saints in an off day. Demon's just had a bad day too. North just didn't care and wanted the season to end.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think it will all come down to costs in the end. To pay players and staff to stay in expensive accommodation for weeks on end is not normal and only being done this year due to very unusual circumstances. When things return to normality (maybe 2022) hard to see that big cost being worn each year.

The answer is to accomodate players and officials in caravan parks.

Rosebud is a nice place to stay...maybe not in winter ..but sacrifices need to be made.

A tent city at Tullamarine for interstate sides could be an option.

Free earplugs of course.

Not sure it’s an advantage for WA teams - more appropriately it lessens the inherent disadvantage that is the travel burden

a disadvantage I might add that has little that can be done about it - with the exception of preferential pre season games
I agree with this.
I’m not sure it’s a reasonable request to add expense and unnecessary upheaval to the rest of the competition to compensate for the fact that Perth is a remote place.
The fixture can be tinkered with but ultimately there is a travel burden that WA teams cannot escape.

That must be a bitter pill to swallow for those in Perth that have the rough end of that deal from time to time.

But you have always had far far bigger home ground advantage as well. It evens out.

Yes but when we play an away team, we don’t play that team at our home ground 3-4 times a year.

When we go to Melbourne, that isn’t our home ground either. Do Victorian teams have same home ground advantage in that respect.

AFL will do whatever it can to gift more flags to their beloved Eagles. They might as well just come right out and be their major sponsor.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back