AFL Corruption Again ........

Steve Hocking on trade radio confirming that Motlop was given a "fairly significant" contract by Port and that the compensation was suitable. Time for you lot to put fingers in ears and start screaming again.
Yeah but nah......Steve Hocking is ex Geelong. Perpetuates the conspiracy theory

HawkMongrel

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 15, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
MVFC, Aston Villa
lol corrupt dogs.

There isn't even a sliver of a chance that the pick 19 compensation was legitimate.

Can't wait for someone to finally knock these AFL bastards over.

Danger!Selwood

All Australian
May 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
If Hodge goes to Brisbane as a free agent with a 4 year playing and coaching contract for $3mil will Hawthorn get a first round pick?

No.

Pretty sure you can't retire, then go wherever you like. He has to be traded or go in the draft.

falcons2

All Australian
Feb 19, 2009
Melbourne OuterEast
AFL Club
Hawthorn
No.

Pretty sure you can't retire, then go wherever you like. He has to be traded or go in the draft.
1. I'm making fun of the whole situation.
2. Hodge is a listed Hawthorn player at present and will remain so until traded etc or until the 2018 lists are submitted. Just because he said he retired he isn't off the Hawthorn list.
3. I'm making fun of the whole situation.
4. Hodge is an uncontracted Hawthorn player with 16 years service. That makes him a free agent.
5. I'm making fun of the whole situation.
6. I don't care Geelong got 19 for Motlop. I'm really not that fussed on the compensation idea. I do however see a really poor system and suggest people who earn more money in a month than the average worker does in a year are highlighting themselves as totally incompetent.
7. I'm making fun of the whole situation except for points 2, 4 & 6

Yolo Swaggins

Team Captain
Feb 20, 2015
Noosa
AFL Club
St Kilda
Brisbane making a point of it publicly, Good! It's very obvious of the bias towards Geelong.

Motlop 500k X 4
Rockliff 700k X 4

Doesn't add up. Either Brisbane should have got pick 2 or Geelong a pick much later.

2. Hodge is a listed Hawthorn player at present and will remain so until traded etc or until the 2018 lists are submitted. Just because he said he retired he isn't off the Hawthorn list.
4. Hodge is an uncontracted Hawthorn player with 16 years service. That makes him a free agent.
6. I don't care Geelong got 19 for Motlop. I'm really not that fussed on the compensation idea. I do however see a really poor system and suggest people who earn more money in a month than the average worker does in a year are highlighting themselves as totally incompetent.
8. What you say isn't very funny

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
The inconsistent nature of how the compensation picks are awarded on top of the fact that other clubs get penalised in the draft order means that the while thing is a farce.

Did you cry as hard when clubs got penalised in the draft order so that your s**t truck of a club could nab their priority picks in Walker, Murphy and Kruezer?

Coaster2012

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Manchester City, Lakers
Victim card. Lol. It’s just pointing out what a hypocritical bunch you all are.

Keep whinging about the corruption snowflake..

The word corruption was never stated in any of my replies. But keep making up the argument in the head that best suits you. I talked about changing the system its self, not arguing against why Geelong shouldn't get pick 19. Obviously following the rules, pick 19 is what it comes out as, which is what needs to be changed.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/re...n/news-story/dc6dc71680bb1affc3f411bd1b6187c4

"Barrett told Triple M Adelaide’s Roo and Ditts on Tuesday morning the AFL awarded Geelong an end-of-first-round draft selection as rich compensation for losing Steven Motlop to Port Adelaide through free agency as a deliberate scheme to arm the Cats with enough draft bounty to convince the Suns to let Ablett return to Geelong.

The extraordinary accusation of corruption in the AFL’s free agency compensation system comes as Barrett reported even the Cats were shocked to learn they would receive the No. 19 draft pick following Motlop’s decision to move to the Power."

LOL. Even the cats were shocked they received this pick. Get off your high horse. Even your own team thinks they didn't deserve it.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2002
Mosman Village
AFL Club
Carlton
Did you cry as hard when clubs got penalised in the draft order so that your s**t truck of a club could nab their priority picks in Walker, Murphy and Kruezer?

"s**t truck of a club" ??

Classy :rolleyes:

And don't bother contributing any further to this discussion because it is quite clear that you are incapable of looking at this without your Geelong goggles on.

SilentHunter_

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 15, 2014
Terra firma
AFL Club
Sydney
Capture.JPG

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
The AFL does not want GAblett Junoir to retire and walk away from the game, leaving it in disrepute.

Have no doubt the Cats have been told that by getting pick 19, they now need to meet any 'reasonable request' from the Suns, for GAblett. The AFL is desperate for the Suns to do ok. Ablett walking away from them would be a reputational nightmare...

Sadly, the AFL now has less credibility than the IOC or FIFA.

What a shame none of our 'independent freedom of speech' journos are prepared to call them on this...

The journalists are cowards afraid of losing their accreditation and therefore livelihoods.

The compensation system is a joke. Get rid of Restricted Free Agency and just have Free Agency. You do your time see out your contract and you're free to go where you want to.

Danger!Selwood

All Australian
May 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong

Absolute knee slapper.

And in between the 4 classic gags you cracked you were wrong anyway. Hodge is not a free agent and cannot be picked up as one, as he had officially retired. Its a trade or via the draft.

Nov 21, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chelsea, Detroit Pistons
A 4 year $600k contract being in the second highest band of compensation isn't that controversial, surely? If it isn't then it's right at the margins.

Can anyone think of an equivalent contract situation where the compo was less?

It's spelled out

Top 5% of salaries for players 25+ = band 1 (approx top 15)
6%-15% = band 2 (approx top 40)
16%-30% = band 3 (approx top 80)
31%-50% = band 4 (approx top 135)

So unless you think there are more than 40 players over the age of 25 earning more than $600k p.a, there's not much to complain about other than perhaps Port Adelaide paying above what you think someone like Motlop is worth.

falcons2

All Australian
Feb 19, 2009
Melbourne OuterEast
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Absolute knee slapper.

And in between the 4 classic gags you cracked you were wrong anyway. Hodge is not a free agent and cannot be picked up as one, as he had officially retired. Its a trade or via the draft.
So your saying, if Hodge changes his mind and wants to play again with Hawthorn he would have to go in the draft?
How do you know he is officially retired? Has Hawthorn or Hodge lodged some papers that removed him from the list?
How could Hawthorn trade Hodge if he is not one of their players?

MotleyLemon

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 8, 2011
Canberra
AFL Club
Geelong
So your saying, if Hodge changes his mind and wants to play again with Hawthorn he would have to go in the draft?
How do you know he is officially retired? Has Hawthorn or Hodge lodged some papers that removed him from the list?
How could Hawthorn trade Hodge if he is not one of their players?

If Hodge didn't retire, he'd have been a free agent.

Because he did, the Hawks now hold his rights.

At least that's my understanding of the situation.

Danger!Selwood

All Australian
May 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong

bkozican

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 9, 2011
W.A
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
People are acting suprised...its a great "Business deal" for the AFL if you ask me.

Back