AFL Corruption

Remove this Banner Ad

No matter what definition you use, corruption involves some sort of abuse of power for personal gain (generally financial).

You are accusing the AFL commission of making decisions for unethical or illicit personal gain. Really, they're making decisions that are inconsistent, hypocritical, or that you simply don't like the reasoning behind. But it simply isn't corrupt.

I think you are completely fair if you say you think the AFL commission are incompetent. They certainly make some head-scratching decisions at times - from fixturing, to the rules of the game, to their treatment of expansion teams vs established teams, etc. Corrupt is just such a loaded accusation - it implies conspiracy, immorality, etc.

There's an old saying: "Never ascribe to malice that which can be adequately explained by incompetence."

There's an old saying: "Never ascribe to malice that which can be adequately explained by incompetence."

I prefer where there is smoke there is fire.

The corruption at AFL House is the amount they pay themselves and the bonuses they get.

Demetriou is a greedy man focused on $$$. Look what his form line is.

Jobs for the boys, jobs for family members etc, there are many examples of how the AFL is dodgy. They are also incompetent but thats what happens when the most qualified people get overlooked for related parties.

What do you mean "It's been a while?" Richmond has played West Coast alternating between home and away since 2014 with Richmond travelling to Perth in 2013 & 2014. The last time Richmond had consecutive home games against West Coast was R22 2006 and R5 2007. Both those seasons Richmond and West Coast played twice anyway. To add Fremantle into the equation Richmond haven't missed a trip to Perth for 20 years.

The original 2020 draw had Richmond playing West Coast and Fremantle in Perth.

That's not why I quoted you though. The second part about Franklin going to Sydney is why. The deal obviously did upset the AFL hence why they are forced to pay the whole deal even if he retires. I wouldn't call it corruption (I don't think it meets the definition) but it certainly stinks of abusing the rules.

The Lockett deal is probably the first high profile deal stitched up by the AFL but it certainly won't be the last. Franklin to GWS was going to be a similar deal to Lockett to Sydney but it just didn't go the way the AFL wanted.
Thank god Buddy never went to GWS.

Richmond supporters have known about this for a long time,Demetriou did not like us one bit either,when we were screaming for draft picks,he brought the 2 new teams in,which set us back even more.
If anybody shook hands with Fat Andy i bet they checked they still had the same amount of fingers afterwards.
If ever a man was in a sport to line his own pockets in my opinion it was Fat Andy.
Himself first. The game 2nd.

Forigve my ignornance, but I didn't realise Lockett had all but signed at Richmond before he famously signed with Sydney. Northey said that Lockett wanted to play with Richmond and they were trying to arrange a deal with St. Kilda and St. Kilda would not answer his many calls. He then called AFL boss at the time Ian Collins and told him that he was trying to arrange a deal with the Saints to get Lockett to Richmond and Collins told him that Lockett would be playing at Sydney and nowhere else.

I might be reading more into this, Ian Collins by the sounds of it orchestrated Lockett's move to Sydney instead of where he actually wanted to go.
Did not see Front Bar but my guess is Ron Joseph orchestrated Lockett move to Sydney and Ian Collins had already seen the paperwork Joseph and Lockett management sent through via fax ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back