AFL cramming 4 rounds into 19 days. Why?

Remove this Banner Ad

https://www.afl.com.au/news/465498

THIRTY-THREE matches will be played across 19 consecutive days as part of the AFL's plans to fast-track the completion of the home and away season.

The matches will effectively be rounds nine to 12 of the 2020 season. The jammed sequence will start on Wednesday, July 29, two days after the completion of round eight
.”

So we havent had to stop the season since it resumed in Round 2. Were in track to complete the season for the rescheduled timeframe. Why are we risking players having injuries and going ahead with this knee-jerk decision?

THIRTY-THREE matches will be played across 19 consecutive days as part of the AFL's plans to fast-track the completion of the home and away season.

The matches will effectively be rounds nine to 12 of the 2020 season. The jammed sequence will start on Wednesday, July 29, two days after the completion of round eight
.”

So we havent had to stop the season since it resumed in Round 2. Were in track to complete the season for the rescheduled timeframe. Why are we risking players having injuries and going ahead with this knee-jerk decision?
I would have thought it was fairly obvious why. The deteriorating situation in Victoria, the increasing difficulties of having clubs travel interstate, the chance of second waves in other states all contribute to there being pressure on the league to get as many games done as quickly as they possibly can to ensure that the season can get completed.

tenor.gif

Wynaut.

.”

10 vic clubs all have had to leave. That’s 400 players at least, each with differing circumstances.

Houli with his wife and mother is one example. Ablett and the illness his infant son has. Who knows what situations countless other players have.

Shortening the hub lifespan is wise as a result

10 vic clubs all have had to leave. That’s 400 players at least, each with differing circumstances.

Houli with his wife and mother is one example. Ablett and the illness his infant son has. Who knows what situations countless other players have.

Shortening the hub lifespan is wise as a result
19 days of footy, sounds pretty good to me

• Banned
Queensland, SA and WA have shown no signs of COVID19 picking up. All 3 states are in a better position than Victoria was when 10 teams remained there. If the Victorian teams need to come home for a break for family reasons, have a 2-3 week bye, and have the 3rd lot of hubs in South Australia closer to home. Its a half hour flight.

4 games in 19 days.... recipe for disaster. In the past we've always whinged about the number of 6 day breaks, and on the rare occasion 5 day breaks. This scenario is 4-5 day breaks, back to back to back to back. Basketball would be fine. A contact sport though?

Queensland, SA and WA have shown no signs of COVID19 picking up. All 3 states are in a better position than Victoria was when 10 teams remained there. If the Victorian teams need to come home for a break for family reasons, have a 2-3 week bye, and have the 3rd lot of hubs in South Australia closer to home. Its a half hour flight.

4 games in 19 days.... recipe for disaster. In the past we've always whinged about the number of 6 day breaks, and on the rare occasion 5 day breaks. This scenario is 4-5 day breaks, back to back to back to back. Basketball would be fine. A contact sport though?
Everything will be OK my friend - these are professional athletes.

Smart decision I think. They need to play games while they can. It's not easy having such a large playing group in hubs. I'm sure the players are happy to cram the game a bit.

#VICBIAS, ie, so the Vics only have to be on the road for 19 days instead of 4 weeks (although they'll probably be away for longer depending on Mr Covid).

Teams will just rotate through their lists a little more than they might otherwise do normally. It's not going to be a disaster.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really it’s not that bad, each team will play 3 weekend games and one midweek match.
I’ll use my team as an example:
Gold Coast play Rd 8 Thursday night as scheduled, then:
‘Rd 9’ Wednesday night
‘Rd 10’ Monday night
‘Rd 11’ Sunday
‘Rd 12’ Saturday

That’s only one 5 day break and the rest 6 days. Now some teams will have multiple 5 day breaks, but it’s possible without any 4 day breaks at all (still expect 1 or 2 though)

Really it’s not that bad, each team will play 3 weekend games and one midweek match.
I’ll use my team as an example:
Gold Coast play Rd 8 Thursday night as scheduled, then:
‘Rd 9’ Wednesday night
‘Rd 10’ Monday night
‘Rd 11’ Sunday
‘Rd 12’ Saturday

That’s only one 5 day break and the rest 6 days. Now some teams will have multiple 5 day breaks, but it’s possible without any 4 day breaks at all (still expect 1 or 2 though)

It would be an absolute nightmare and I’m glad I’m not in charge of the fixture.

You did a nice job in your scenario creating no 4 day breaks only problem is in round 10 when the Suns play on Monday night they can’t play another team from the previous Wednesday unless their was a double header so at best they would be playing a team coming off a 4 day break from the previous Thursday night.
Fixture will be a nightmare and their will be teams getting shafted.
Strap yourselves in.

Its almost a game everyday. Who wouldn't want this? At least it'll help the lockdown go quicker.

Also another reason is so they get the rounds done quicker, less money the AFL need to fork out. Plenty of reasons they are doing this.

Two months ago when we were going through the first lockdown, we were complaining there was no footy. Now you're complaining there is too much? Please. Enjoy it because it'll come and go before we know it. And in these uncertain terms, you can never know how long it'll last even this year.

But bring it on.

Also.... Isn't this what they invented the 16 min quarters for? If they need to play every few days, then they are prepared for that given the less game time in each game.

It would be an absolute nightmare and I’m glad I’m not in charge of the fixture.

You did a nice job in your scenario creating no 4 day breaks only problem is in round 10 when the Suns play on Monday night they can’t play another team from the previous Wednesday unless their was a double header so at best they would be playing a team coming off a 4 day break from the previous Thursday night.
Strap yourselves in.

Yep.

There doesn't need to be any team getting shafted. But because TV is king, teams definitely will get shafted.

Strap yourselves in.
In 1992, we played Bulldogs on a Sunday and then Thursday night Collingwood had organised to meet us to help celebrate their 100th season as a club.
Naturally we helped them out like we did from their start and helped their celebrations go on with a bang in style that night off our 4 day break. We won.
Plenty of players also used to play a game on weekend and a game on Tuesday night at Waverley and then front up for another game on the following Saturday.
All it means is ease off on the training schedule when you know you are playing more often. It is very do-able and if one or two players are sore, which will happen at times, you simply draw on the fact you have a full list of players to pick from. These games are shorter in length too, much like those Tuesday night games at Waverley Park.

.”

because it will(the continuous sport)be used as a soft landing by the corrupt satanic government to introduce even more illegal draconian rules whilst ppl are there curled up on theyre couches in the middle of winter,mark my words the idiot boxes' coverage of the AFL will be peppered with propaganda
from go to whoa 7 nights a weeks.If it already isnt
PPl will be waking up the next day not knowing what the f*** hit them and like an addict will be craving for another game(and hey presto! conveniantly
AFL just happens to be on tonight,TUESDAY NIGHT) to ease the pain and soften the blow 'in theyre programmed mind'

I swear WC fans have the biggest cohort of whiners on Bigfooty. Wouldn't matter what decisions are made they'd find a way to complain.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back