AFL Darling Downs - 2012 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Season 2012 kicks off over the next two weekends with the Pre-Season Cup, the winners take home $1000 so the competition should be keenly contested. I'll keep you posted.

A new look for the league this year with a reserves competition being run for the first time in many years. Unfortunately the Dalby Swans are a bit light on for numbers this season and have pulled out of the A Grade comp but will run a side in reserves, this reduces the number of sides in the top grade to 8.

The pre-season cup will be held tomorrow at Highfields with all 8 senior sides represented. The format has been changed after last weeks wash out with two pools of four playing off with the overall winner being decide by total wins and percentage. Last years regular season finalists, Toowoomba Tigers and the Warwick Redbacks will start as favourites with strong challenges expected from the University Cougars, Highfields Lions, Coolaroo Roos, Lockyer Valley Demons, Goondiwindi Hawks and South Toowoomba Bombers.

The regular season begins on the 24th of March so this will be a chance for the clubs to have a decent hit out and see where they are at in the lead up. Should be a great day of footy.

hi reardo.

i seriously think that lockyer valley should be threatend with expulsion from the competition, unless they change their guernsey design.:eek:

they must have the worst guernseys of any club in any cometition of any code in australia. only the yanks could do worse...:thumbsu:

hi reardo.

i seriously think that lockyer valley should be threatend with expulsion from the competition, unless they change their guernsey design.:eek:

they must have the worst guernseys of any club in any cometition of any code in australia. only the yanks could do worse...:thumbsu:

Haha, yeah that certainly aren't the most vibrant of jumpers that's for sure.

In other news Coolaroo won the pre-season cup on the weekend with a solid display over their three games under new coach Nick Barker. The Roos looked strong and played well in the wet conditions. The other team to impress was Highfields who also have a new coach for 2012 in Ben Adams, both sides will be looking to make up for the disappointment of missing last years finals series and look well on the way to being serious contenders this year.

a mate of mine, who was also a RL rep player, took his son for his first AFL training session yesterday for the lockyer valley demons.

15yo (u16's) wiley, had played just 2 AFL matches a year ago, and was selected in an AFL rep side. he hasnt played AFL since.

wiley was a regular representitive RL player throughout his early teens. however, he thought he'd give AFL a try, and turned up for training yesterday.

wiley is 6'4. when he turned up for training yesterday they thought he was a senior...they checked his proof of age to make sure he was u16, TWICE!...lol they have decided he must take his proof of age to matches from now on.:D

he is a good athlete, he plays folf off a 4 handicap (im not a golfing person but that is supposed to be good?) and has excelled in most sports.

good luck to wiley, and lets hope more good juniors start coming out of the woodwork for the demons!

premiers in 5 years. just you watch!

a mate of mine, who was also a RL rep player, took his son for his first AFL training session yesterday for the lockyer valley demons.

15yo (u16's) wiley, had played just 2 AFL matches a year ago, and was selected in an AFL rep side. he hasnt played AFL since.

wiley was a regular representitive RL player throughout his early teens. however, he thought he'd give AFL a try, and turned up for training yesterday.

wiley is 6'4. when he turned up for training yesterday they thought he was a senior...they checked his proof of age to make sure he was u16, TWICE!...lol they have decided he must take his proof of age to matches from now on.:D

he is a good athlete, he plays folf off a 4 handicap (im not a golfing person but that is supposed to be good?) and has excelled in most sports.

good luck to wiley, and lets hope more good juniors start coming out of the woodwork for the demons!

premiers in 5 years. just you watch!

I wouldn't put it past them, they are building nicely thanks to the hard work Tony and Donna Bowers have put in along with their band of dedicated volunteers. Their junior numbers are on the rise and they have some talented young blokes coming through into the senior line up so the future is looking bright.

I'll be sure to check young Wiley out on Saturday, we are making the trek down to the Gatton Showgrounds to take on the Demons in all grades, should be a great day. He sounds like a bit of a gun, I've already told the AFLQ Development Officer up here about him, he'll be there Saturday as well.

I wouldn't put it past them, they are building nicely thanks to the hard work Tony and Donna Bowers have put in along with their band of dedicated volunteers. Their junior numbers are on the rise and they have some talented young blokes coming through into the senior line up so the future is looking bright.

I'll be sure to check young Wiley out on Saturday, we are making the trek down to the Gatton Showgrounds to take on the Demons in all grades, should be a great day. He sounds like a bit of a gun, I've already told the AFLQ Development Officer up here about him, he'll be there Saturday as well.

great mate. let me know how he goes. like i said, he has only played a couple of AFL games before, so his positional play will be suspect. anyway, you know what skills to look for..

ps. reardo, what happens if he likes the look of him?

hey reardo, how'd he go? i spoke to his dad, but he works in a mine 200km west of mackay and didnt see the game, all he knew was what his missus told him....that he played ok and kicked a couple of goals. wiley wasnt told the development officer was going, as we didnt want to put preasure on the kid. i did tell his dad though.

how did the whole day go mate? did the demons kick your asses? lol

hey reardo, how'd he go? i spoke to his dad, but he works in a mine 200km west of mackay and didnt see the game, all he knew was what his missus told him....that he played ok and kicked a couple of goals. wiley wasnt told the development officer was going, as we didnt want to put preasure on the kid. i did tell his dad though.

how did the whole day go mate? did the demons kick your asses? lol

The kid can play!! Very impressive performance from young Wiley, his skills need a bit of work but that's to be expected by a bloke that's only played a couple of games. He's got a booming left foot kick, one of his goals was from just on 50 and it went through half post height, he took a few contested marks and is pretty quick across the ground for a big guy.

The development officer liked what he saw also and is planning on inviting him to train with the local U18 side that plays in Div 1 in Brisbane. Probably not looking at playing him but training with the squad should help fast track his development. There is also another U16 rep game scheduled for June some time, he'll be sure to get a run in that against the Wide Bay U16 rep squad.

The kid can play!! Very impressive performance from young Wiley, his skills need a bit of work but that's to be expected by a bloke that's only played a couple of games. He's got a booming left foot kick, one of his goals was from just on 50 and it went through half post height, he took a few contested marks and is pretty quick across the ground for a big guy.

The development officer liked what he saw also and is planning on inviting him to train with the local U18 side that plays in Div 1 in Brisbane. Probably not looking at playing him but training with the squad should help fast track his development. There is also another U16 rep game scheduled for June some time, he'll be sure to get a run in that against the Wide Bay U16 rep squad.

thats great news reardo. thanks for doing the hard yards and contacting the rep officer. great stuff mate!:thumbsu:

wiley has a cousin that is the same age, he is just as big and would be pretty handy also, hopefully he will follow wileys lead.

his dad nor the family dont read this forum, but i'll send them a link so they can read the exciting news. to my knowledge wiley still doesnt know a development officer was watching him..;)

ROUND 1 RESULTS

Dalby Swans 5-3-33 def by Highfields Lions 16-8-104

Lockyer Valley Demons 1-1-7 def by South Toowoomba Bombers 33-27-225

Coolaroo Roos 26-22-178 def Goondiwindi Hawks 4-3-27

Toowoomba Tigers 10-10-70 def Warwick Redbacks 9-11-65

Bye - University Cougars

LADDER AFTER ROUND 1

South Toowoomba Bombers
Coolaroo Roos
Highfields Lions
Toowoomba Tigers

University Cougars
Warwick Redbacks
Dalby Swans
Goondiwindi Hawks
Lockyer Valley Demons

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ROUND 2 RESULTS

Lockyer Valley Demons 5-6-36 def by Toowoomba Tigers 23-12-150

Warwick Redbacks 7-8-50 def by Highfields Lions 13-9-87

University Cougars 32-12-204 def Goondiwindi Hawks 5-4-34

Coolaroo Roos 8-11-59 def by South Toowoomba Bombers 11-7-73

Bye - Dalby Swans

LADDER AFTER ROUND 2

University Cougars
South Toowoomba Bombers
Highfields Lions
Toowoomba Tigers

Coolaroo Roos
Dalby Swans
Warwick Redbacks
Goondiwindi Hawks
Lockyer Valley Demons

A mixed bag over the first two rounds with some blow outs combined with some really close tussles. Round 1 match of the round was the Grand Final rematch between reigning premiers Toowoomba Tigers and the Warwick Redbacks, Warwick had the running for the first three quarters and were up by 5 goals at three quarter time but Tigers finished the stronger and ran out victors by 5 points.

Round 2 match of the round was the Coolaroo Roos v South Toowoomba Bombers clash. Both sides were coming off big wins in round 1 however the Bombers held their nerve to run out 14 point winners in an extremely physical encounter, both teams will be happy with the week off no doubt.

The surprise so far has been the slow start by the Warwick Redbacks, no doubt coach Jason Wright will have the boys fired up to make ammends come round 3. Highfields are looking good under new coach Ben Adams while Andrew Farr has got the Tigers purring along nicely. This shapes to be an extremely close season with any of 6 sides having legitimate claims to premiership favouritism.

great to hear the lockyer demons are putting some pieces of a revival together...from their website...

What a game and a difference when we have some control with ball time, it was game on in the first quarter early with the Demons in the lead and giving the tigers a real shake by the end of the quarter we were only 17 points behind. And while we had our chances and gave away a few easy goals by the end of the game we kept fighting hard to the end with a hard fort game of 36 to Tigers 150, and while it was a 114 point loss it is our lowest loss to them by about 130 points, well done guys keep your heads high. For those players who decided not to play you could of been the difference to a possible win as we had only a dozen seniors a few new players and a handful of sixteens, thanks to all you guys especially to Wylie and felix who had to get a clearance from the doctors an hour and half before the game. What could we do if everyone got to training and committed to playing every week. Also thank you to everyone who helped out on the day well done to all of you.

great to hear the lockyer demons are putting some pieces of a revival together...from their website...

Good result against the reigning premiers.:thumbsu:

Round 3 Results

Dalby Swans 8-12-60 def by Warwick Redbacks 9-12-66

South Toowoomba Bombers 15-9-99 def University Cougars 7-12-54

Highfields Lions 20-11-131 def Lockyer Valley Demons 3-2-20

Toowoomba Tigers 12-15-87 def Coolaroo Roos 6-7-43

Bye - Goondiwindi Hawks

Ladder after Round 3

South Toowoomba Bombers
Highfields Lions
Toowoomba Tigers
University Cougars

Coolaroo Roos
Warwick Redbacks
Dalby Swans
Goondiwindi Hawks
Lockyer Valley Demons

cheers reardo.

i see the lockyer boys are defending their wooden spoon tenaciously....:D

but they are building. like i said, in 5 years they will be domminant.:thumbsu:

Match of the round in round 3 was the clash between Tigers and Coolaroo. The Roos have impressed everyone on the Downs pre-season whilst Tigers are just a hard unit that does what is required when needed. Tigers got the jump on the Roos and were never headed sending a strong message to the league that they are far from a spent force. Tigers are now 3 from 3 and are primed to go back to back to back as they build their dynasty.

The clash between Souths and Uni was another encounter between premiership hopefuls. Souths depth around the ground was probably the difference with 16 year old Tom Wainwright making his debut for the Bombers and being influential. Uni were missing some key players and won't be too disheartened by the result.

The surprise of the round was the Dalby swans getting within a goal of last years runners up the Warwick Redbacks. Dalby have had extremely strong juniors for years and now the flow on effect is there for all to see. Warwick were just too good at the end of the day holding on for an important victory.

The final match saw the Highfields Lions run out convincing winners over the improving Lockyer Valley Demons. The 111 point margin doesn't tell the full story as the Demons are improving week to week. Highfields are one of only three undefeated teams after three rounds and new coach Ben Adams has them firing.

Round 4 Results

Coolaroo Roos 19-16-130 def Highfields Lions 6-14-50

Goondiwindi Hawks 13-9-87 def by Dalby Swans 23-14-152

Warwick Redbacks 14-9-93 def Lockyer Valley Demons 1-2-8

University Cougars 5-9-39 def by Toowoomba Tigers 19-11-125

Bye - South Toowoomba

Ladder after Round 4

Toowoomba Tigers
South Toowoomba Bombers
Highfields Lions
Coolaroo Roos

Warwick Redbacks