AFL Darling Downs 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

May 11, 2018
Toowoomba
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hello Reardo,

Hope you had a good day.
I hope for Dalby and football in the region, Dalby gets numbers on the ground.

As for the salary cap, I thought AFLDD would have gone through the same assessment requirement with player points system as every other league then the inclusion of a salary cap would have followed.

Dalby should be fine, they’ve got a solid group of senior players that just haven’t made it onto the field for whatever reason. When they return the Swans will be more than competitive.

I can almost guarantee that the points assessment criteria hasn’t been implemented on the Downs. If it has then I certainly haven’t heard of it. As far as the salary cap goes, as far as I know there are very few paid players running around, there certainly aren’t any at Souths. I guess if a club has a big enough cheque book there’d be nothing to stop them from going out and buying a premiership.

May 11, 2018
Toowoomba
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Good morning Reardo,

As much as paying for players is to win a flag, no one can deny that. However in the case of our league, do you think if clubs had a certain amount of financial freedom and some players were enticed here for cash, then our league would improve?

My thought would be a long term project. Perhaps the league executive/board pursuing sponsorships to then be handed down equally to clubs in a financial incentive for player development. Every single year.

It's hard for clubs to raise finances for such things, but the league executive/board is where the power stands and marketability, promotion and development should be high on their agenda.

It is fact that other league executive/boards raise funds that is handed directly down to the clubs every year.

Your motivation to be involved on a league executive/board should be for the sole intention to work with state AFL staff and clubs in your league to develop the competition to the highest standard possible.

The mere fact this league executive/board relies on clubs to be financial so they are financial is crazy.
The league executive/board are the number one biggest promotional and marketing tool for our league.

I think certain members lose sight of that fact.
Clubs shouldn't be folding or forfeiting. We should be growing.
This league executive/board should have a minimum objective of $200,000 each year in sponsorship that's handed back to clubs for the clubs development. I personally believe I'm being conservative with the $200,000 too. Don't underestimate the wealth of the darling downs.
(Just my thoughts)

Interesting thoughts. At the moment all clubs are doing what they can to get by. Most of the player registration payments go directly to the league which means clubs are relying on canteen sales and whatever sponsorship deals they are lucky enough to manufacture to get by.

Speaking on behalf of Souths I can tell you that sponsorship money doesn’t go a long way. By the time you purchase a set of jerseys with the sponsors name on it there is very little left over. Gaining sponsorships at club level is always going to be difficult, there is only so much a club can offer prospective sponsors.

I really like the idea of the league approaching new sponsors so that there could be a redistribution of wealth to assist all the clubs. The league is in a position to offer greater value to prospective sponsors than individual clubs can. At the moment the only sponsor I can think of that the league has is Allied Pickfords and I’m unsure how much cash they kick in.

Were this to happen it would make life in club land much easier. The clubs would be able to spend the additional funds however they saw fit, whether it be investing in their juniors or getting in a few paid players. Personally I’m against paying players but I can understand why some clubs might go down that path.

May 11, 2018
Toowoomba
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Interesting thoughts. At the moment all clubs are doing what they can to get by. Most of the player registration payments go directly to the league which means clubs are relying on canteen sales and whatever sponsorship deals they are lucky enough to manufacture to get by.

Speaking on behalf of Souths I can tell you that sponsorship money doesn’t go a long way. By the time you purchase a set of jerseys with the sponsors name on it there is very little left over. Gaining sponsorships at club level is always going to be difficult, there is only so much a club can offer prospective sponsors.

I really like the idea of the league approaching new sponsors so that there could be a redistribution of wealth to assist all the clubs. The league is in a position to offer greater value to prospective sponsors than individual clubs can. At the moment the only sponsor I can think of that the league has is Allied Pickfords and I’m unsure how much cash they kick in.

Were this to happen it would make life in club land much easier. The clubs would be able to spend the additional funds however they saw fit, whether it be investing in their juniors or getting in a few paid players. Personally I’m against paying players but I can understand why some clubs might go down that path.

I strongly believe the leagues strength is the executive/board.
The executive/board can come in with the belief their intentions are good and that they alone can fix the issues but I'm not sure this is the solution.

Get elected and form a legacy that stays forever. Get elected, WORK with state staff, WORK with the clubs and use the power that the executive/board has to promote and market the league.
My thoughts are with you on a singular club doesn't have much to offer a sponsor, however the league has plenty to offer including business exposure.

There will always be challengers at club level but the league executive/board should be there to guide and assist. Not to enforce and control.
Let's not forget it is the clubs that appoint the executive, mostly to manage, but management isn't about dictatorship.
A minimum of $200,000 in league sponsorship would give clubs $20,000 in life line.
(This is solely the minimum the league executive should aim to secure) anything less and frankly they are failing in developing this competition and someone new needs to have a crack.

Remembering the objective should always be to develop AFL in our region.

Last edited:
I strongly believe the leagues strength is the executive/board. (Not the current one)
The executive/board can come in with the belief their intentions are good and that they alone can fix the issues but I'm not sure this is the solution.

Get elected and form a legacy that stays forever. Get elected, WORK with state staff, WORK with the clubs and use the power that the executive/board has to promote and market the league.
My thoughts are with you on a singular club doesn't have much to offer a sponsor, however the league has plenty to offer including business exposure.

There will always be challengers at club level but the league executive/board should be there to guide and assist. Not to enforce and control.
Let's not forget it is the clubs that appoint the executive, mostly to manage, but management isn't about dictatorship.
A minimum of $200,000 in league sponsorship would give clubs $20,000 in life line.
(This is solely the minimum the league executive should aim to secure) anything less and frankly they are failing in developing this competition and someone new needs to have a crack.

Remembering the objective should always be to develop AFL in our region.
Agreed. The executive needs to show strong leadership but that doesn’t mean ruling with an iron fist. There are so many people, most notably AFLQ staff, who have great ideas about how to move the league forward but they just don’t get the opportunity to be heard.

It’s not too late to return footy on the Darling Downs to the strong and vibrant competition that it used to be but time is starting to run short. Let’s hope a sensible outcome is achieved sooner rather than later.

May 11, 2018
Toowoomba
AFL Club
Hawthorn
(Friday night Footy)

Clash of the bottom sides tonight under lights.
Let's hope both teams get good numbers on the ground and this is the start of the season for them.

I heard a rumour the league president is so supportive of the development and future of the league he will be in attendance tonight waving his flag for the Darling Downs.
Some would say it's no different to any other weekend, seeing him get around supporting all the clubs at various grounds.

May 11, 2018
Toowoomba
AFL Club
Hawthorn
(Friday night Footy)

Clash of the bottom sides tonight under lights.
Let's hope both teams get good numbers on the ground and this is the start of the season for them.

I heard a rumour the league president is so supportive of the development and future of the league he will be in attendance tonight waving his flag for the Darling Downs.
Some would say it's no different to any other weekend, seeing him get around supporting all the clubs at various grounds.

#Update: I just received a call from powers far greater than myself.
Basically I have been politely #*%# instructed to stop spreading rumours regarding attendance of, or developmental stages of, or future of (stuff). It's not true.
So I apologise.

#Update: I just received a call from powers far greater than myself.
Basically I have been politely #*%# instructed to stop spreading rumours regarding attendance of, or developmental stages of, or future of (stuff). It's not true.
So I apologise.
Haha, wouldn’t surprise me.

ROUND 4 RESULTS

Chinchilla Suns 10-8-68 def by Dalby Swans 12-20-92

South Toowoomba Bombers 15-17-107 def Highfields Lions 5-8-38

Goondiwindi Hawks 16-8-104 def Warwick Redbacks 10-6-66

Toowoomba Tigers 12-7-79 def by South Burnett Saints 17-13-115

University Cougars - Bye
Coolaroo Roos - Bye

LADDER AFTER ROUND 4

South Toowoomba Bombers - 16
University Cougars - 12
South Burnett Saints - 12
Warwick Redbacks - 8
Toowoomba Tigers - 8
Goondiwindi Hawks - 4
Coolaroo Roos - 4
Highfields Lions - 4
Dalby Swans - 4
Chinchilla Suns - 0

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ROUND 5 RESULTS

Dalby Swans 12-6-78 def by Toowoomba Tigers 11-15-81

South Toowoomba Bombers 9-16-70 def Goondiwindi Hawks 5-7-37

South Burnett Saints def Chinchilla Suns - Forfeit

Coolaroo Roos 7-5-47 def by Warwick Redbacks 9-14-68

University Cougars 22-11-143 def Highfields Lions 4-5-29

LADDER AFTER ROUND 5

South Toowoomba Bombers - 20
University Cougars - 16
South Burnett Saints - 16
Warwick Redbacks - 12
Toowoomba Tigers - 12
Goondiwindi Hawks - 4
Coolaroo Roos - 4
Dalby Swans - 4
Highfields Lions - 4
Chinchilla Suns - 0

The only criteria for selection in the representative sides is that prospective players attend a trial day and they must live in the region, they don’t have to play in the local competition.

May 11, 2018
Toowoomba
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The only criteria for selection in the representative sides is that prospective players attend a trial day and they must live in the region, they don’t have to play in the local competition.

On the weekend I heard from what one would think is a spectacularly good source, that the AFLQ on the DD (whom until 2 years ago were the level headed ones of the DD) have sent a memo to youth players looking to be in AFLQ DD rep sides, (U14s DD, u16s DD = Met SE) that they must play in the DD comp to be eligible!! Players in the Darling Downs area (and its huge) must play in the pathetic DD comp to be eligible.

Considering the piss poor youth comp they have up there (AFLX for u17s!! and 4 teams in u14s,) to deny the competent RESIDEINTS of the DD whom their parents have taken to the Brisbane comp, due to the pathetic situation of Darling Downs footy, one has to shake their head at this latest bastardy! A team chosen from the pathetic DD u14s comp would not beat a div2 Brisbane Juniors team. To deny the players that are residents, but choose to play in the BJs, is the most empty, desperate, suicidal threat ive ever heard in any sport!

I also heard from another great source that this crap will be squashed. Which means more dogshit on the heel of DD footy!!! Dogshit is visible. Its obvious those in control of the DDAFL and the AFLQDD have no vision.

DD footy is so bad, they will not be competitive in School or AFLQ footy, even in the 2nd division in which they have historically played, for at least a decade. Not too many season ago, DD boys were competitive with Met sides!!! They may well not have a junior or youth competition next year at all. And wont be competitive again with other country sides for years.

Threatening players whom live in the Darling Downs with disqualification from DD rep sides due to parents taking them to better competitions, means they NOW are even burning goodwill to hold a semblance of power and to stay alive!

Al Dunlap.

I tend to agree with Reardo that the criteria to play rep doesn't include playing in that league at club level.
I'm sure it is residence and importantly attending trial sessions.

Who made this determination and sent such memo's.

Was it paid AFLQ staff that work in the Darling Downs or was it the dictator that is the current Darling Downs league president

May 11, 2018
Toowoomba
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I think the points being raised should be enough for AFLQ to take action now against the executive of the AFLDD.
Furthermore I'd suggest it would be relevant to raise concerns now with fair trading Qld too.

ROUND 6 RESULTS

Chinchilla Suns 7-7-49 def by Coolaroo Roos 26-13-169

Warwick Redbacks 4-3-27 def by University Cougars 10-17-77

Goondiwindi Hawks - Bye
Highfields Lions - Bye
South Burnett Saints - Bye
Toowoomba Tigers - Bye
Dalby Swans - Bye
South Toowoomba Bombers - Bye

LADDER AFTER ROUND 6

University Cougars - 20
South Toowoomba Bombers - 20