AFL Diversity Manager banned for life from competing in football, stands down from position

Fresh off providing Bachar Houli a glowing character reference last week, the AFL's Diversity Manager has gone ahead and done this disgusting act on a football field this weekend.

Should he lose his job? How long should he be suspended for?

In my opinion, he should be charged for assault. Just because you're on a football field does not me you should have free reign to do whatever you want.

Dr Larkins talked strongly about the potential of death from punches, this is a prime example of an incident that has a high risk of having life-changing impacts for the victim.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
ASADA
AFL diversity manager Ali Fahour reported for on-field hit
THE AFL official who gave Bachar Houli a glowing character reference last week has been reported for his own on-field thuggery.

AFL diversity manager Ali Fahour was captured on video striking a Whittlesea opponent in a Northern Football League game on Saturday.

Fahour, playing for West Preston-Lakeside, ran past a scuffle and clocked an unsuspecting player with a right hook, before continuing to remonstrate with other players.

c7ecf7be3775d5b43556adf5b0f3149b

A screengrab of a melee involving Ali Fahour.

The Herald Sun understands the victim’s young family was watching from the sidelines.

It is not the first ugly incident Fahour has been involved in playing local football. In 2012 he was charged with misconduct after becoming involved in an altercation with a spectator while playing.

ff8066f0afa02c5808f61e1215c62bea

Ali Fahour after a grand final win.
Fahour, a former VFL player for Bendigo, was handed a severe reprimand by the league.

“We are aware of it, he told us on the weekend that he had been reported,” the AFL told the Herald Sun today.

“Our understanding is the tribunal is Wednesday night. Obviously from an AFL point of view our expectation within our competition is that our clubs, players and administrators follow the tribunal process.

“Therefore the AFL in this case certainly needs to do the same thing to the Northern Football League.

“There will be a tribunal this week and we need to respect that and not offer a great deal of commentary in advance, other than to confirm that yes he has a charge he needs to answer.”

The Herald Sun has asked the Northern Football League for comment.

MORE TO COME ….

Thanks.

Definitely not a great look and I'm not defending the act, but at the same time, it's one player punching another player during a melee.

Who cares what his off-field job is.

I can't help but feel maybe his name and connections are the entire reason this is a story in the Herald Sun.

Thanks.

Definitely not a great look and I'm not defending the act, but at the same time, it's one player punching another player during a melee.

Who cares what his off-field job is.

I can't help but feel maybe his name and connections are the entire reason this is a story in the Herald Sun.

Sorry but to play it down as that is bullshit.

Until extreme examples such as this are actually treated as assault and charged as, then this will continue on and someone will suffer life-changing injuries or even die.

If we're going to get serious about the one-punch phenomena, then it's time to actually get serious and not treat this as a playground incident.

Worse that what Bugg did, but bet he doesn't receive a harsher penalty (No I'm not condoning Buggs actions he deserves 6 weeks).

I bet he does get a harsher penalty and he'd deserve every week. His job is irrelevant.

I bet he does get a harsher penalty and he'd deserve every week. His job is irrelevant.
But is it really?

I would think it's completely relevant considering the stance his employer has on violence on the football field.

Sep 30, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Freo and Bulldogs, ManU
But is it really?

I would think it's completely relevant considering the stance his employer has on violence on the football field.

Well, if they going to start sacking people for this sort of stuff, when's the next player being sacked? Because that's effectively what you're asking for?

Bugg gets sacked for knocking Mills unconcious?

Anybody who thinks his job doesn't matter must have slept through the Eddie McGuire saga last year when he joked about committing a violent act against Caro.

The difference with Fahour is he wasn't joking about assaulting Matt Rendell in the workplace and there are indiscretions piling up to support that.

An AFL employee really should know better. Would have to dismiss him from his role on that basis/conduct. Whether anything progresses outside of a striking charge and or dismissal is a matter for the police

Last edited:
Well, if they going to start sacking people for this sort of stuff, when's the next player being sacked? Because that's effectively what you're asking for?

We dont know what sort of employment contracts non playing staff are on, so anything about dismissal is purely speculation. However, it would not be surprising for the AFL to have certain clauses about public behavior. Time will tell anyway

Sep 9, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
I think he should lose his position simply because of who he works for.

Through his role he is a public figure and one which requires a higher standard of personal conduct than the average worker.

If he was a Garbo then it's a different situation because his role and the image each employer expects will differ.

99% of footballers would never throw such a punch. The fact he did says a lot about his character.

Back