Competitions AFL draft comp: Who will Essendon pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

1-McGrath
20- simpkin
29-graham
41-ratugalea
I can't claim to have deep knowledge of the draftees, but I liked what I saw of Ratugolea from the TAC final. Played instinctively at times and seemed able to will himself to the contest when he could. Drifted in and out of the game though and seemed a bit raw. As talls with development potential go though, I wouldn't be unhappy if we drafted him with a late pick.

I don't know what's feasible in the second round, so I'll just guess these might still be available:

1. McClug
20. Berry
29. SPP
41. Ben Long.
68. Upgrade Tippa.

I would love Battle at 20 but not sure it's realistic. I guess some would say the same about Berry, though. Pity we'll miss out on Taranto. Would have loved to have got him.

I don't know what's feasible in the second round, so I'll just guess these might still be available:

1. McClug
20. Berry
29. SPP
41. Ben Long.
68. Upgrade Tippa.

I would love Battle at 20 but not sure it's realistic. I guess some would say the same about Berry, though. Pity we'll miss out on Taranto. Would have loved to have got him.
According to twomey's 1st pick for each club guide, battle may be there at 24. I'd be staggered if we passed on him at 20 tbh. You'd want to think the only way we don't grab him would be if Simpkin was available

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Simpkin/Battle and an inside mid like Jonty at 29 and I'd be smiling for weeks
Would be a top haul and our under 26 brigade would be awesome.
Hurley, Heppell, zaka, joey, colyer, Merrett, parish, Francis, tippa, mcclug, Simpkin, jonty

Scharenberg can round out the Collingwood lols
Hartley, Stewart, working scharenberg

Pick 1. we think he was the standout
Pick 20. we were genuinley suprised he was still on the board, we rated him a top 10 prospect
Pick 29. we were genuinely suprised he was still on the board, we rated him much higher
Pick 41. we think he can come in and make an instant impact
Pick 68. we think we have found one here
85 quality person who shows great leadership, we think he can play senior football next year.

Okay, educated guess:

Pick 1: Hugh McCluggage - goal kicking will be the difference here I think. Worsfold has been talking up the need to find more avenues to goal since he arrived and McCluggage gives us this. If we're drafting for needs, as classy as McGrath is, we need McCluggage's skill set more.

Pick 20: Josh Battle - if he's available seems to fit the bill development wise; Marshall is reportedly better below his knees and more agile but I doubt he'd be available at 20. If also pick up Harry Dear in the PSD we'll surely be in a terrific position to find a partner for Joe, given the arrival of Stewart. Who knows, if Joey's set shots don't improve over the next couple of years, then...?

Pick 29: Hard to go past Jarrod Berry. Combine results are terrific; Beep test 1st (could replace Stanton? A defender, but Twomey says he could also play on a wing or across HF), Repeat sprints 4th, Agility 7th, Clean hands 5th 27/30 (like!), Kicking 3rd 25/30 (like!) I don't think Berry will make it to Pick 29, so I'd be "...genuinely surprised he was still on the board..."

Pick 41: Ben Long - not a lot I could find about Long, except that he improved as the VFL season went on and hit his stride during the Dogs'finals campaign when it mattered. Season results were inconsistent though, at times not hitting the scoreboard. I'd really like to heat from anyone who knows more though, how he is defensively and involvement in scoring set-ups/chains etc. Nephew of Longy so sentimentality probably plays a part there as well.

Pick 68: Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti :)

National Draft 2016:
Pick 1 -
Hugh McCluggage
Pick 20 - Oliver Florent
Pick 29 - Zachary Sproule (GWS doesn't match bid) :)
Pick 41 - Ben Long
Pick 68 - Aaron Heppell

Pre-Season Draft:
Pick 1 -
Ezekiel Frank

National Draft 2016:
Pick 1 -
Hugh McCluggage
Pick 20 - Oliver Florent
Pick 29 - Zachary Sproule (GWS doesn't match bid) :)
Pick 41 - Ben Long
Pick 68 - Aaron Heppell

Pre-Season Draft:
Pick 1 -
Ezekiel Frank

Good picks. I really like Sproule - reminds me a bit of Carlisle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back