Game Day AFL Draft Day Discussion - Pick 1 - 70

Remove this Banner Ad

I didn't argue with you at any time l just thought it was good debate.
Agree, debate is certainly a better word.
I look at it this way. Our home ground "advantage" isn't going to change.
The ground will always be an odd shape.
It's up to the club to ensure that it remains a true advantage, because we need to be able to adapt to playing anywhere.

Agree, debate is certainly a better word.
I look at it this way. Our home ground "advantage" isn't going to change.
The ground will always be an odd shape.
It's up to the club to ensure that it remains a true advantage, because we need to be able to adapt to playing anywhere.

It's also up to Scott to not rely on home games won to pacify everyone, because we finished 8th and made the 8.
We all know what happens after that.
I'm not a Scott fan and refuse to prop him up because we made the 8.
l judge his coaching by the number of away wins these days, that's the mark of a good Geelong coach imo.

Last edited:
This home ground thing has now become just another way to diminish the club's achievements.
its both things - its a way to call the club crap and its also baring reality as we have performed poorly there more often than not of recent times.

That said, if the game plan and the list was better - and more importantly the team played as a team - these outcomes would change.

Go Catters

Chris Scott worked out that playing a contested style of footy works well at home as well as having tall defenders who can mark all the high balls that come in.

Unfortunately that game style doesn't work on big grounds, you actually need players who can run and carry and hit targets.

But Scott doesn't like having outside players cos they are inconsistent and need a lot of development. Its easier to just stick with tall defenders and big unskilled mids cos they will do well at home.

Win 8 games at home each year + 40% of the remaining games (always plenty of developing teams who wont win against bigger bodies) and you get 13.5 wins a season, enough to make finals every year.

To actually win a flag you need to develop outside players and to do that you need to deal with their inconsistencies (which result in more losses).
Good analysis
I am comfortable with that on the basis that you get a team to play to their strengths, and we were not winning finals- in the end- with a combo of Motlop, SJ, Varcoe, Menzel, Duncan- hence the evolution of what you described. Our current strengths are more difficult to define.

This home ground thing has now become just another way to diminish the club's achievements.

Totally agree. How many clubs don't have a significant advantage at home. All the interstate clubs are well placed and then you have Collingwood Richmond ect who play so many games at the G

So according to troy selwood, the reason connor idun didn’t classify for nga was because his father was born in the uk, despite his ghana heritage and the fact all his brothers and sisters were born in ghana. Its just unfortunate that his father was born after they had immigrated that he didn’t qualify. Otherwise he passed all the other conditions.

Missed it by that much. Pretty much a technicality.

They wanted to use one of their picks in the 60’s on him, but gws traded up and took him 3 picks before the one geelong wanted to use on him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back