Game Day AFL Draft - let's win this sucker

Remove this Banner Ad

If you go for a player expected on his talent to go between 3 and 5 and your pick is 12 what do you think will happen?

you'd take the best player available based on your talent order, when it's your turn. And you'd have a pretty good idea of who it will most likely be based on information you have been given.

But no one will give you any information if you're not willing to return the favour.

you'd take the best player available based on your talent order, when it's your turn. And you'd have a pretty good idea of who it will most likely be based on information you have been given.

But no one will give you any information if you're not willing to return the favour.

In this discussion your getting second hand information from a journalist, can't say it would be the wisest decision you could make, do you?

Ogh sorry I'm not the sort to sit back and compliment the club including hamish if I don't think we are looking at a premiership with the list we have, too many holes that should have been fixed, but haven't been!

Yeah you're right, Hamish's fault we lost draft picks, Hamish's fault Tippett, Gunston, Dangerfield, Vince, Davis are no longer at the club, Hamish's fault Walsh is no longer with us. Hamish's fault Sando didn't work out. Hamish's fault we lost Bails.

Yeah you're right, Hamish's fault we lost draft picks, Hamish's fault Tippett, Gunston, Dangerfield, Vince, Davis are no longer at the club, Hamish's fault Walsh is no longer with us. Hamish's fault Sando didn't work out. Hamish's fault we lost Bails.

No, but I'm not happy with the list, too many holes in the mid as that famous phantom drafter said he likes HBFlankers too much. And we have pretty much traded well in the forward line with lynch, Jenkins, betts, walker was a kiss on the D that Randell got being an academy pick

In this discussion your getting second hand information from a journalist, can't say it would be the wisest decision you could make, do you?

I don't even know what you are trying to say. It would not matter if the information was wrong, even if he'd been led to believe that mccluggage would be available at out pick, we wouldn't pack up and go home when he get's taken at pick 3. We still take the best player available at our pick.

They're not working out who to take based on the information, they are working out who they are likely to get, who that is doesn't change based on information, it just allows you to know who it is sooner, at least with a reasonable amount of certainty.

If the information is wrong, you trust it less next year, and you give nothing next year.

No, but I'm not happy with the list, too many holes in the mid as that famous phantom drafter said he likes HBFlankers too much. And we have pretty much traded well in the forward line with lynch, Jenkins, betts, walker was a kiss on the D that Randell got being an academy pick

Did he like half back flankers too much when the only one we had on our list was MacKay?

You know what they say about Phantom drafters? if they were good at the job they wouldn't be called phantom drafters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did he like half back flankers too much when the only one we had on our list was MacKay?

You know what they say about Phantom drafters? if they were good at the job they wouldn't be called phantom drafters.

Have we really drafted that many half back flankers under Ogilvie? I know there was a lot of outrage when Doedee was drafted, but having a look through the draft years when Hamish was in charge (2012 onwards), I can only see Kelly, Wigg and Doedee as medium defender/half back flankers.

2012 – 62 Siggins (KPD), 81 Atkins (Outside Mid/Half Forward)
Rookies: Hartigan (KPD), Osborn (Ruck), Klaosen (?KPP/Ruck)

2013 – 23 M Crouch (Inside Mid), 46 Knight (Mid/Half Forward)
Rookies: Cameron (Small Forward), Battersby (Mid), Kelly (Medium Defender), Spina (Medium Forward)

2014 - 14 Lever (KPD), 35 Wigg (HBF), 43 McGovern (KPF), 58 Dear (KPF)
Rookies: ROB (Ruck), Ramsey (Swing KPP), Wilson (Small Forward)

2015 - 13 Milera (Outside Mid/Half Forward), 17 Doedee (HBF)
Rookies: Hunter (Ruck), Beech (Mid/Half Forward)
Cat Bs: Greenwood (KPP/Tall Mid), Keath (KPD)

2016 - 15 Gallucci (Mid), 44 Poholke (Mid), 51 Himmelburg (KPP/Ruck), 63 Signorello (Mid) 75 Davis (FWD/Mid)
Rookies: Jarman (Small Forward)

In terms of rating his picks, the wins are in bold. It's too early to rate the class of 2015/16 and for me the jury is still out on Knight, ROB, Dear, Wigg and Kelly. However, I think the first two are most likely to make it which would give him a very good strike rate in both the national and rookie draft.

Brett Anderson not impressed with our draft results......Had Galluci ranked 30 on his Draft Board.

Eh, he had Gallucci at 21 in his mock (https://www.sen.com.au/news/2016/11/23/anderson-final-2016-afl-mock-draft/), and had us taking Hayward, Scharenberg, Walker and Sproule: only Hayward went in the national draft.

Last edited:
Have we really drafted that many half back flankers under Ogilvie? I know there was a lot of outrage when Doedee was drafted, but having a look through the draft years when Hamish was in charge (2012 onwards), I can only see Kelly, Wigg and Doedee as medium defender/half back flankers.

Rookies: Cameron (Small Forward), Battersby (Mid), Kelly (Medium Defender), Spina (Medium Forward)

2016 - 15 Gallucci (Mid), 44 Poholke (Mid), 51 Himmelburg (KPP/Ruck), 75 Davis (FWD/Mid)

In terms of rating his picks, the wins are in bold. It's too early to rate the class of 2015/16 and for me the jury is still out on Knight, ROB, Dear, Wigg and Kelly. However, I think the first two are most likely to make it which would give him a very good strike rate in both the national and rookie draft.

Eh, he had Gallucci at 21 in his mock (https://www.sen.com.au/news/2016/11/23/anderson-final-2016-afl-mock-draft/), and had us taking Hayward, Scharenberg, Walker and Sproule: only Hayward went in the national draft.

You forgot Signorello in the latest batch ;)

On Wigg, I am not sure how he qualifies as a HBF when he played most his underage footy at North Adelaide in the midfield. Even if we are generous and include him as a HBF it still makes a mockery of marty's claim. As if we didn't already know that ;)

2016 - 15 Gallucci (Mid), 44 Poholke (Mid), 51 Himmelburg (KPP/Ruck), 75 Davis (FWD/Mid)

Only quoting what he said in the Podcast Link...

Only quoting what he said in the Podcast Link...

Yeah, had was having a listen and noted a few other inconsistencies - Anderson was full of praise for Sydney taking Hayward at 21 saying he had him rated around 23, yet had predicted us to take him at 15. I think if we'd gone with that selection he'd probably would have just as critical as he was with the Gallucci pick.

2016 - 15 Gallucci (Mid), 44 Poholke (Mid), 51 Himmelburg (KPP/Ruck), 63 Signorello (Mid) 75 Davis (FWD/Mid)

Gee I hope Milera becomes a superstar, because out of 5 drafts he's the only one that looks like he could be , but still that is up in the air but time will tell!

I think there is a lot overrating our drafts going on here, there are a couple of very good players and some misses and some hole fillers.

Our team is clearly being carried by an elite forward line of Betts, Walker, lynch and Jenkins. Defence is entertaining but does leak a lot, and mid has Sloane and hopefully B Crouch taking the next step but needs many more rotating through!

I Know your happy with where the club sits, I'm sorry I'm not

God, this is a garbage opinion. It defies logic.

You think someone else would have built a better list with the 3rd and 4th round picks that Hamish has had?

He has got us a list at the top end of the comp, using shithouse picks to get us there.

God, this is a garbage opinion. It defies logic.

You think someone else would have built a better list with the 3rd and 4th round picks that Hamish has had?

He has got us a list at the top end of the comp, using shithouse picks to get us there.

Don't want to hear excuses I want results, like hawthorn and clarkson and how they operate.

Gee I hope Milera becomes a superstar, because out of 5 drafts he's the only one that looks like he could be , but still that is up in the air but time will tell!

Lever looks like he will be our next superstar. Future multiple AA KPD and club captain if he doesnt get injured. I really like McGovern, and although he hasnt earned it yet, I could see him becoming a superstar if he gets some confidence.

Looking for giant strides from Charlie, Greenwood, Knight, Milera and McGovern in 2017.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back