AFL draft prediction competition 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 27, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
That time of the year again to pretend you are Stephen Wells and predict the names we might call over the draft.

Our current pick numbers are 8, 25, 70, 75, 79. I doubt we take less than 4 players or more than 5. With academy bids those numbers will change which is impossible to predict so for the purpose of this comp just use the numbers above. You can include your own trades if you want.

Here’s my attempt.

8 - Caddy
25 - Hastie

Trade our F2 for pick in the 40’s to take George Stevens

70 - Van De Heuvel
75 - Wiltshire

How many goes can you have?

I think its fair to post what you would take based on expected availability if you want ..( Im sure we all want Harley Harley Reid at 8 but ehh) ... and then who the club actually takes...perhaps including trades.

My preference is tall. Its a mids draft next year ..and find a couple of mids later So Caddy/OSullivan. then Goad/ZZ/Archer Reid/Murphy . Trade in to get someone we like in the 30's if we see it as value.

I think we trade down ... place a bid on Croft ... they match. Then ..

Wilson at 11
Demattia at 21
Stevens at 26

...then we may trade back into the 30's ..and take a tall KK (hopefully) .

Late picks could be anyone ... Maybe Chlosey gets a chance. Pick a falcon or two. If we do not pick Caddy then Rudd.

# 8 nate caddy (curtin will go at 7)
#25 (31) Taylor Goad
# 70 (51) George Stevens
#75 (54) Sam Clohesy
#79 (55) Bailey van de heuvel

I think we will only take 5 picks and save 2 for the SSP.
I think we will take mannagh late but he will go in the 40s first hence i think we take clohesy instead.
Id love to see us take pike but i think he goes undrafted.

# 8 nate caddy (curtin will go at 7)
#25 (31) Taylor Goad
# 70 (51) George Stevens
#75 (54) Sam Clohesy
#79 (55) Bailey van de heuvel

I think we will only take 5 picks and save 2 for the SSP.
I think we will take mannagh late but he will go in the 40s first hence i think we take clohesy instead.
Id love to see us take pike but i think he goes undrafted.
Do you really think Stevens will go that late?

That time of the year again to pretend you are Stephen Wells and predict the names we might call over the draft.

Our current pick numbers are 8, 25, 70, 75, 79. I doubt we take less than 4 players or more than 5. With academy bids those numbers will change which is impossible to predict so for the purpose of this comp just use the numbers above. You can include your own trades if you want.

Here’s my attempt.

8 - Caddy
25 - Hastie

Trade our F2 for pick in the 40’s to take George Stevens

70 - Van De Heuvel
75 - Wiltshire
Very likely selections.
Do you really think Stevens will go that late?
Nope. Top 40 for sure. 20-40 range, but most likely after 25.

N Caddy - best available Key forward
G Stevens - clearance beast, absolute need given our clearance issues last season.
J Freijah - because all the other outside mids will be gone by this pick
BVDH - because we lost Esava
Wiltshire - sounds like a Wellsy speciale with last pick, but these players that are often linked to us before the draft with such late picks rarely come off... so could be something else here.

* assumes no live trade

**If we Live trade: something like this then:

D Wilson
J Leake or C Edwards or A Hastie - in that order, whoever slides.... Freijah is removed.
G Stevens
BVDH
Rudd or Wiltsthire. With no Key Forward, they might take Rudd here, and then go Wiltshire in Rookie (if there is a Rookie spot? Can't remember).

N Caddy - best available Key forward
G Stevens - clearance beast, absolute need given our clearance issues last season.
J Freijah - because all the other outside mids will be gone by this pick
BVDH - because we lost Esava
Wiltshire - sounds like a Wellsy speciale with last pick, but these players that are often linked to us before the draft with such late picks rarely come off... so could be something else here.

* assumes no live trade

Really like Freijah. He’d be a good pickup as an outside mid having not taken Wilson in your scenario.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

8 - Nate Caddy
25 - Ollie Murphy
76 - Geordie Payne
87 - George Stevens
94 - Will Rowlands

Edited at 4:05pm: forgot about Clay Hall's stress fractures. Have rounded out with obligatory SANFL draftee.

Last edited:
Think it’s either Caddy/Curtin with our first, so we’d go a mid for our next. Have paired Peel Thunder teammates Hall and Torrent, more out of hope than anything else. We visited Payne’s family in Tassie, so have him late. Rudd probably not a need if we get Caddy, but anyone’s guess at that stage of the draft.

8 - Nate Caddy
25 - Clay Hall
76 - Reece Torrent
87 - Geordie Payne
94 - Michael Rudd
Yeah, I forgot about Payne. I see him as a potential selection if we can't get one of Wilson, Leake, Edwards, Hastie, Freijah... In that order, depends on how all the chips land.

Would we take Rudd though if we take Caddy? I see it as one or the other... Rudd late if we live trade and opt not to take Caddy.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back