Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2022 - Tsatas, Hayes, Davey x2, Munkara & Montgomerie

Who should we take with Pick 4? (Pick 2)

• Tsatas

Votes: 60 27.9%
  • Humphrey

Votes: 33 15.3%
  • Phillipou

Votes: 109 50.7%
  • Clark

Votes: 10 4.7%
  • Other

Votes: 17 7.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick links: Player Contract Status | Trade & Free Agency 2022 | JHA Father/Son and NGA | Adrian Dodoro

0093895D-8D9D-4EFD-93DB-32FA70C2A596.jpeg

Last edited:
Love the Pies build atm: Henry, Elliott, Cox, Sidebottom, McCreery, Cameron, J.Daicos, WHE, Ginnivan, Lipinski. De Goey, Mihochek. All of these guys have genuine forward craft. 12 players.

Carlton had about ten on the weekend. Which was similar to Richmonds build 17 & 19 builds.

From our team on the weekend: Jones, Wright, Martin, Stringer, Perkins + Waterman the sub. 5.5

Add Langford and Snelling. 7ish in the best 22. This is the biggest area of need. Best form of defence is a threatening attack. We have none so sides can play off us with full confidence we won’t hurt them the other way.

Sheezel should be the man for us. If not trade down get George and Munkara.

Love the Pies build atm: Henry, Elliott, Cox, Sidebottom, McCreery, Cameron, J.Daicos, WHE, Ginnivan, Lipinski. De Goey, Mihochek. All of these guys have genuine forward craft. 12 players.

Carlton had about ten on the weekend. Which was similar to Richmonds build 17 & 19 builds.

From our team on the weekend: Jones, Wright, Martin, Stringer, Perkins + Waterman the sub. 5.5

Add Langford and Snelling. 7ish in the best 22. This is the biggest area of need. Best form of defence is a threatening attack. We have none so sides can play off us with full confidence we won’t hurt them the other way.

Add Hobbs to that.

Maybe. We know he’s going to be a midfielder so it’s still a wait to see if he’ll keep staying involved with the forward line or whether he’ll be more of a Taylor Adams.

My point being though is that he's demonstrated he has forward craft through his excellent positioning. A polar opposite to Shiel for instance, who has no idea what he's doing when played down there.

My point being though is that he's demonstrated he has forward craft through his excellent positioning. A polar opposite to Shiel, or instance who has no idea what he's doing when played down there.
Same with Parish. Can be very dangerous inside 50

Pies are a much more mature group than us especially in the right areas of the ground even without Grundy and Roughead at the moment

Also handed Nick Daicos on a platter. IQ aswell. We havnt seemed to have had that

Also it feels a bit like an on between build? Havnt we been doing what the pies are doing st the moment for years and what people are annoyed about

The part i do like and i think its what were doing

Is you leave your small forwards to the last 2 years of the build.

Dees did similar with Spargo, Kozzie, Sparrow who can be very good in year 1-3 (immediate impact)

Pies have done the same with Ginnivan, Henry and McCreery

Im not sure if that year is for us this year. Sheezel could be one. Id think he starts his career as a dynamic forward and then moves onball ect, Davey also and maybe even the other Davey

Really were tracking for 2024 with our age demographic and could see a spike then

Genuine question

Does Eyre survive being out of contract? Do you keep both Brand and Eyre?

Only reason he doesn't survive is because we're stuck with contracts with 3 other bottom 7 players.

He was always behind Brand, it was his draft camp testing that brought him to the fore.

I think he's closer then he seems. He's largely where he needs to be in play he just needs to pull down his marks.

Granted it could be a Clarke like situation. If he can't get that one skill sorted it will never work.

If he gets his marking sorted his game will come together quickly and if that happens he has elite level capability.

I think back to Stewart. There is no doubt marking can be improved, particularly with improvement in physical strength.

1 more year for me. Tall guys with his attributes always get a bit more time, perhaps even more than they deserve.

Last edited:
I really like the prospect of Sheezel or Phillipou.

Both have demonstrated that they can have a big impact either up forward (games with 6 goals) or through the midfield (games with 30+ disposals).

They would both be able to find a spot in the forward line to develop in the AFL early. While also not being a long shot as a potential midfielder.

Both have demonstrated that they can have a big impact either up forward (games with 6 goals) or through the midfield (games with 30+ disposals).

They would both be able to find a spot in the forward line to develop in the AFL early. While also not being a long shot as a potential midfielder.
Get both and Munkara before Davey bid. Might have to trade one of our current mids or use some future picks, but it would be nice to get a talented bunch through together

Get both and Munkara before Davey bid. Might have to trade one of our current mids or use some future picks, but it would be nice to get a talented bunch through together
I really like that idea but it has some problems too.

To get extra 1st rounders, you would need to trade out players who are good enough to make a difference to our 2023 ladder position. Trading out future picks in combination with them could be costly. A future second could be a top 25 pick in a draft that is looking good right now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really like that idea but it has some problems too.

To get extra 1st rounders, you would need to trade out players who are good enough to make a difference to our 2023 ladder position. Trading out future picks in combination with them could be costly. A future second could be a top 25 pick in a draft that is looking good right now.
Definitely have to be careful, but you can't sit back forever. Moves have to be made at some point (like Mahoney managed with Melbourne) to be able to bring a group through together. At the moment our future picks will be at their peak value as we are most likely bottom 4 this year. I think our list is actually more of a mid table list currently and we'd be capable of a fair bounce next year (even if we were to trade out 1 mid). If we wanted back into the 2023 draft after trading our futures this year then we could trade futures again, although this is where we'd likely be the ones paying overs to get back in. The end result though could be something like

2019- Bryan, Jones
2020- Cox, Reid, Perkins, Brand, Eyre
SSP/ MSD- Baldwin, Durham
2021- Hobbs
SSP/MSD- Martin, Wanga, D'Ambrossio, Menzie
2022- Sheezel, Phillipou, Munkara, Davey, Davey
2023- 1st round Pick, 2nd round Pick
2024- Traded out of to get back in 2023

We then have all of the above blending with a core of Langford, Snelling, McGrath, Parish, Merrett, Stringer, Draper, Wright etc and any free agents we can attract.

We would have to be considered a fairly talented young list on the up by the start of 2024, hopefully all learning to play the right way. And a balanced age demographic.

can see this being a draft where Mahoney and co. bank the 2022 poor position and sell the 2023 pick at a high.

F1 -> Swans 1st & F1
21 + Swans F1 -> top 6-10 pick
Sheezel, Phillipou, Munkara and Davey should be feasible. Question is are the trades reasonable and do we make those moves now. or stay the path patiently.

Over in SA in a few weeks for a month and might try catch some games. Kobe Ryan is catching the eye as well. cursed 183cm profile, but reads like a work-rate beast.

Hi, are you able to compare Phillipou and Kane Bevan? Both look to be big midfielders.

Maybe I’m overly optimistic but I’d still think we could attract players easily enough with our young promising list and ability to probably pay more than most.

We’re certainly not miles away. There’s a major disconnect in our club and game plan at the moment but it’s not irreparable. Last year we had some great performances such as destroying St Kilda and keeping Adelaide to their lowest ever score, at Marvel no less. I just hope we can recognise the issues and sort them out.

If we draft Sheezel, Davey x2 and if Menzie comes on as a small forward then our forward pressure game can improve drastically.

We can then look to FA and trades to rectify some of our midfield size issues and whatever other opportunity presents (I.e Brayshaw, Hopper, Taranto, Dale etc).

That, in addition to getting games into Reid, D’Ambrosio, Cox, Perkins, Hobbs, Martin, Caldwell, Durham, Draper and Jones (add Baldwin, Bryan and Brand) and we can bounce back very quickly.

It'd more be the money side of it, I'd think.

The list would probably be a tough sell at the moment. We haven't improved at all as the year's gone on.

I think we're a fair bit further off it than a lot of fans think - we need to stick with the youth/go even younger and just accept we're not going to be great to watch for a while - but also build towards something.

Definitely have to be careful, but you can't sit back forever. Moves have to be made at some point (like Mahoney managed with Melbourne) to be able to bring a group through together. At the moment our future picks will be at their peak value as we are most likely bottom 4 this year. I think our list is actually more of a mid table list currently and we'd be capable of a fair bounce next year (even if we were to trade out 1 mid). If we wanted back into the 2023 draft after trading our futures this year then we could trade futures again, although this is where we'd likely be the ones paying overs to get back in. The end result though could be something like

2019- Bryan, Jones
2020- Cox, Reid, Perkins, Brand, Eyre
SSP/ MSD- Baldwin, Durham
2021- Hobbs
SSP/MSD- Martin, Wanga, D'Ambrossio, Menzie
2022- Sheezel, Phillipou, Munkara, Davey, Davey
2023- 1st round Pick, 2nd round Pick
2024- Traded out of to get back in 2023

We then have all of the above blending with a core of Langford, Snelling, McGrath, Parish, Merrett, Stringer, Draper, Wright etc and any free agents we can attract.

We would have to be considered a fairly talented young list on the up by the start of 2024, hopefully all learning to play the right way. And a balanced age demographic.
I would love us to make some big moves. I just think 2023 is the big draft out of the two and would love to see it used as the big finishing draft for our list.

There are many players who we should learn a lot about in 2023. We will learn a lot about our future midfield and spine from what happens to Cox, Perkins, Reid, Durham, Brand, Baldwin, Eyre etc.

Having a strong hand for 2023 will either allow us to attack a strong draft or make big trades.

I would love us to make some big moves. I just think 2023 is the big draft out of the two and would love to see it used as the big finishing draft for our list.

There are many players who we should learn a lot about in 2023. We will learn a lot about our future midfield and spine from what happens to Cox, Perkins, Reid, Durham, Brand, Baldwin, Eyre etc.

Having a strong hand for 2023 will either allow us to attack a strong draft or make big trades.
I agree with this. I think there's a bit to go with developing the spine and flanks.
I think the obvious gap are small forwards & goal scoring mid/fwds.

Depth is the obvious other one. Fully fit, we have an ok 22. Was better before Tippa retired.
I think it gets better as Cox, Brand, Reid & Jones get more games under their belts.

But reckon '23 we could sacrifice to hit this draft.

If we could add a freebie like Brayshaw, would love to hit this draft hard for the smalls that help make us dangerous forward and harder to rebound against.

I had a look at our group of young talls compared to the competition and we have the most. Hawthorn are the only list that is close.

We have 9 talls that are 21 or under. The rest of the competition averages 4 in this age group.

5 extra baby giraffes than the competition.

Like the idea. I would not have anyone over 24 off the table. However unless they want to leave I can not see us trading Merrett or Parish who would have the most value although I an not buying two first round picks for Parish. McGrath will stay and he is another they will not trade. Sadly I can see Munkara slipping out of our hands unless he moves into top 5 contention.

Yeah i dont know anything about the 2023 draft but if that is a draft to target then i hope they go for it too. Its not out of the question to trade out of 2023 to attack 2022 and then trade back into 2023 using 2024 picks the following year. Parish will also be a free agent and gets you a 2023 top 10 compo pick minimum for example. I just want our list management to make those kind of moves like target a draft and bring a group through together. Preferably a few drafts in a row. Perkins, Cox and Reid is great but that was forced upon us rather than a type of list build strategy.

I had a look at our group of young talls compared to the competition and we have the most. Hawthorn are the only list that is close.

We have 9 talls that are 21 or under. The rest of the competition averages 4 in this age group.

5 extra baby giraffes than the competition.
It reminds me of quarterbacks in the NFL.

Essentially you either draft them within the top 10 picks, or you draft/sign as many as possible and hope that one hits as a numbers game.

I suppose we are just hoping that 3-4 of those 9 hit and that is your spine set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back