"AFL Draftees Should Be Paid More" - Scott Lucas (What The ??)

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 20, 2002
Mosman Village
AFL Club
Carlton
http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl...b-weitering-earn/story-e6frf3e3-1227629556267

PROMINENT player agent Scott Lucas believes the AFL’s best young players are not being paid enough.

No. 1 draft pick Jacob Weitering will earn a base salary of $74,740 in his first season of the mandatory two-year contract for draftees.

However, that figure will balloon to $165,000 if he features in all Carlton’s 22 home and away games in 2016.

Lucas believes the base wage should rise by $50,000 when the new collective bargaining agreement is introduced from 2017.

An 18yo straight out of high school gets paid $74K in his first year of work yet Scott Lucas doesn't think it is enough and should be given a $50K pay-rise ??

Has the world gone completely mad this week ??

Seeing Lucas 'run off at the mouth" like that may be attributed to the years of coaching from Sheedy who we know has form in this area.

So these 18 year old kids who have done nothing in their life "deserve" to get paid even more than they already do? For *s sake most draftees in their first year get paid more than 80% of Australia (including many hard workers who struggle to survive) as it is which is a disgrace.

Last edited:
I actually think draftees should get more money

There's a lot of players who don't last 3 years in the AFL - considering a lot of them have moved interstate - an extra $20k a year would be handy

Too much of the salary cap goes to the highest paid players who are all more likely to earn endorsements and have long term careers in football

There's a lot of players who don't last 3 years in the AFL - considering a lot of them have moved interstate - an extra $20k a year would be handy

Too much of the salary cap goes to the highest paid players who are all more likely to earn endorsements and have long term careers in football
+1 - if you get spit out at 22 you're already 5 years behind your peers in-terms of education and or career.

Disagree

I do, however, think all clubs should have "communal" housing for their players
A rent free option, close to training, to help their transition to professional football
Clubs do have families which take in some players, but it's very different in the long run

I also think that there should be some sort of tertiary education mandate, paid for by the AFL (rather than an increase in wage), whereby the league pays for the education of each school-leaving draftee
I'm not talking law degrees, but your basic take courses, ensuring they have some sort of education to fall back on

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Disagree

I do, however, think all clubs should have "communal" housing for their players
A rent free option, close to training, to help their transition to professional football
Clubs do have families which take in some players, but it's very different in the long run

I also think that there should be some sort of tertiary education mandate, paid for by the AFL (rather than an increase in wage), whereby the league pays for the education of each school-leaving draftee
I'm not talking law degrees, but your basic take courses, ensuring they have some sort of education to fall back on

What you ask for already happens I believe. I'll need to check the CBA and the AFLPA education fund allocations but IIRC something does already exist in these 2 areas.

Yep there is an education fund in the CBA funded by the AFL and the AFLPA. Under Section 13 (a) there are some significanct allowances for relocation costs and cost of living adjustments.

Last edited:
Yep I'm going against the grain here.

AFL draftees work pretty hard for their money. How many other 18 year olds are full time professionals who also dedicate time away from work to their career (and by that I mean diet, sleep, recovery etc)?

Plus they have to deal with speculation, celebrity, abuse etc.

The number 1 pick gets 74k without playing. Latter round picks get closer to 55k don't they?

They have to deal with a lot over the 2 years they get called up to on to a list and if they aren't making enough post tax to at least have something their for the future then it's not a great deal.

Of course besides inflating draftee wages you could also try a couple of options:

1. Add a 3rd year to all draftee contracts (or at least first 3 rounds of the draft)

2. Bridge the gap between state leagues and the AFL so that delisting from the AFL doesn't mean an end to a professional career. Either players can bounce back from delisting to earn another chance and/or at least continue to earn a major part of their living from state league footy.

So these 18 year old kids who have done nothing in their life "deserve" to get paid even more than they already do? For ****s sake most draftees in their first year get paid more than 80% of Australia (including many hard workers who struggle to survive) as it is which is a disgrace.

I guarantee you those 18 year old kids who get drafted early in the draft work MUCH harder than 99% of other 18 year olds lounging around on the weekend, they have to have elite fitness and hit the gym regularly, plus manage club/school footy with championship/TAC footy and complete their year 12 studies.

Anyone who is struggling to survive clearly isn't working very hard or they have absolutely no talent in any area

Finish top of your year? Not at your school, or district, or state even, but country I mean?

Seriously, 1st year grads out of uni (ok they're a few years older) get more than that in a lot of fields, of course the top sportsmen in our top sport should.
Draftees are given a free ride throughout school. I was in the same school as Nakia Cockatoo and he would be lucky to have an IQ higher than his weight. Yet he was supposedly getting A's. Everyone in that class knew it was bullshit he would get an A in history.

I guarantee you those 18 year old kids who get drafted early in the draft work MUCH harder than 99% of other 18 year olds lounging around on the weekend, they have to have elite fitness and hit the gym regularly, plus manage club/school footy with championship/TAC footy and complete their year 12 studies.

Anyone who is struggling to survive clearly isn't working very hard or they have absolutely no talent in any area
So youre saying a 21 year old who works in a supermarket to support a very young family isn't working hard? It's not his fault that retail workers make about 30k a year.

It's not hard to go to the gym and complete year 12. I'd know.

+1 - if you get spit out at 22 you're already 5 years behind your peers in-terms of education and or career.
Thats less about what they get paid and more so the pathway they follow. I understand its a completely different scenario and the money is alot better, but the american talent pathway principe is much better. Forcing kids to at least do a year of college before entering the pros is much more productive imo. Not onlu are players physically more ready for the rigours of the pros, but are mentally more mature and have an advanced education or part there of to fall back on

So youre saying a 21 year old who works in a supermarket to support a very young family isn't working hard? It's not his fault that retail workers make about 30k a year.

It's not hard to go to the gym and complete year 12. I'd know.

Yes well done you can pluck abstract scenarios, there are always anomalies, and the scenario you have given is extremely vague.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back