Opinion AFL esports / ecollingwood eteam, good idea or bad idea?

AFL eSports, whaddaya reckon?

• I'd represent eCollingwood proudly

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • I'd watch that

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Not my up of tea, but can appreciate that others might enjoy it

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Is the world going mad?

Votes: 12 46.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Sports games arent balanced enough to ever be a huge esport (please dont capitalise the s).

Well, there you go. The thread creator is clearly a dinosaur. Fixed now :thumbsu:

Yes, I think you are. To many people watching sports is the same. Why would you want to watch something rather than go out and have a kick?

Who said I don't also enjoy having a kick? Playing computer games is not a sport.

Who said I don't also enjoy having a kick? Playing computer games is not a sport.
Playing computer games is fun, people get paid to play it at the high level and people watch high level people play it. Whether you think it is a sport or not is irrelevent I am just explaining the reason people watch it is similar to why people watch sports.

I found out about esports a few months ago. Are people losing their sense of reality? I can only hope that reality persists until I'm 6 feet under or burnt to a crisp..... and i'd like to give a similar message to the guys who are trying to start a world war at the moment...

pleasssssee.... just chill out with this crap for a few more years..

With all due respect when I read your posts I can't help but picture in my head (not saying it's true) a bitter, jealous, slightly racist odd fellow that can't or doesn't want to keep up with the world.

As a late born member of gen x i've grown up with nintendo, gameboy, game gear, sega megadrive, nintendo 64, ps2, xbox 360, xbox one and ps4.

However in this instance I am on your side 100%.

I found out about esports a few months ago. Are people losing their sense of reality? I can only hope that reality persists until I'm 6 feet under or burnt to a crisp..... and i'd like to give a similar message to the guys who are trying to start a world war at the moment...

Sure hope you don't watch TV or movies :drunk::thumbsu:

I might be the only young person in Australia that absolutely cannot stand a few nerdy kids getting paid literally millions to sit around and play games for basically 15 hours a day. (No joke that they practice that much)

And they get rewarded for being what was generally frowned upon by a majority of society 10 years ago.

The world is definitely changing. I'll never be into eSports or watching people play video games. I can't even stand professional youtubers or twitch streamers. Get a real job you scum! Most of them are half assed "comedians" who can't make it in real comedy.

Not a fan.....

(Or maybe I'm just salty because I suck at games)

How many E sport gamers get paid millions of dollars a year? :rolleyes:

Nerdy kids is an idiotic stereotype. Some players are nerdy, some are far more sporty and athletic than you.

They are rewarded because they dedicate their lives to being the best at a game.. just like AFL players do... except they're competing against tens of millions to get to the top rather than tens of thousands for AFL players.

You don't have to like it, but the moronic "Well I don't like it so it's a dumb joke" reminds me of dinosaur ideology like "Gay people shouldn't get married because ummm err tradition".

The world is changing and E sports has gone from virtually nothing 10 years ago to bigger than most sports thousands of year old in a decade.. and the growth is only continuing exponentially. We're talking sold out stadiums, million + viewers for finals games, million dollar prize pools for tournaments ect.

So to answer the OP, investing in ESports now is like investing in Apple when it was a $1000 company run out of Steve jobs garage.

Last edited:
With all due respect when I read your posts I can't help but picture in my head (not saying it's true) a bitter, jealous, slightly racist odd fellow that can't or doesn't want to keep up with the world.

As a late born member of gen x i've grown up with nintendo, gameboy, game gear, sega megadrive, nintendo 64, ps2, xbox 360, xbox one and ps4.

However in this instance I am on your side 100%.

actually i'm not racist, although i'm bitter jealous and odd. I definitely have no desires to enter some unreal world of Nintendo etc. Actually I last got into a game called duke nukem and quite enjoyed that, but I moved on. I think if people who are into that stuff took a moment of reflection, they would acknowledge that all these games and esports stuff is just an excuse to escape reality....its like a legal way of taking drugs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I only watch movies that involve live people...no puppets, muppets, cartoons, avatars or digitally enhanced hairlines or breasts.

Are you aware that those movies contain actors creating fantasy (aka not real) scenarios for your entertainment experience? Why would you waste your time watching a bunch of grown adults in make up and wigs talking to each other with scripted lines? I have no idea about you or the movies you watch, but I'm 100% sure if you took a moment of reflection you would realise you watch these movies as an excuse to escape your reality.

I normally only really lurk around these parts but i'm reading a lot of ignorance on this topic, it seems that the majority of people still believe that the people competing in esports leagues are nerdy basement dwellers that put no real effort in and are getting paid large sums of money for it. This just isn't true at all, currently many of the bigger esports organisations provide great facilities or team houses for these players and actively encourage active lifestyles outside of the game they are competing in, I know for a fact at least one organisation employ a sports psychologist.

These players also aren't just mucking around or rotting away playing a game they are actively researching and studying strategies/playstyles and reviewing footage on top of practice, you could think of it as for 8 hrs a day they are doing the equivalent of what AFL players are doing when they are at the club and any gaming time on top of that would be at their leisure playing with friends etc.

Just a few weeks ago a $250,000 tournament was held at Qudos Bank arena in Sydney with crowds of ~7,000 on both days (Saturday and Sunday): http://www.espn.com.au/esports/story/_/id/19333391/iem-sydney-one-most-memorable-esports-events-2017

http://i.imgur.com/Ij09lb9.jpg

Also i'd just like to post some pictures of some players to show that it isn't just "geeks" and "nerds" anymore.

http://cdn0.dailydot.com/cache/dd/63/dd63081fbc0b916be118775cf545807c.jpg

https://i0.wp.com/thegamehaus.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Pasha-Biceps-2.jpg

I normally only really lurk around these parts but i'm reading a lot of ignorance on this topic, it seems that the majority of people still believe that the people competing in esports leagues are nerdy basement dwellers that put no real effort in and are getting paid large sums of money for it. This just isn't true at all, currently many of the bigger esports organisations provide great facilities or team houses for these players and actively encourage active lifestyles outside of the game they are competing in, I know for a fact at least one organisation employ a sports psychologist.

These players also aren't just mucking around or rotting away playing a game they are actively researching and studying strategies/playstyles and reviewing footage on top of practice, you could think of it as for 8 hrs a day they are doing the equivalent of what AFL players are doing when they are at the club and any gaming time on top of that would be at their leisure playing with friends etc.

Just a few weeks ago a $250,000 tournament was held at Qudos Bank arena in Sydney with crowds of ~7,000 on both days (Saturday and Sunday): http://www.espn.com.au/esports/story/_/id/19333391/iem-sydney-one-most-memorable-esports-events-2017

http://i.imgur.com/Ij09lb9.jpg

Also i'd just like to post some pictures of some players to show that it isn't just "geeks" and "nerds" anymore.

http://cdn0.dailydot.com/cache/dd/63/dd63081fbc0b916be118775cf545807c.jpg

https://i0.wp.com/thegamehaus.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Pasha-Biceps-2.jpg
They still tend to have basement dweller attitudes though unfortunately... have you ever been on HLTV for instance? Gives 4chan a run for its money.

I’d like to see Collingwood get involved, doing so now with shrewd recruiting, would allow it to become a cash cow down the track. ESports will explode on a scale similar to Bitcoin (what a buzzword huh) within the context of international sporting within the next decade. There’s no point buying in after that point from a financial standpoint.

Furthermore with League of Legends teams being bought up by other clubs, CSGO and Overwatch are the route to go with potential for Hearthstone/Gwent individual sponsorships.

For instance one of the top 3 Australian CSGO teams just got disbanded and would be a good start. Alternatively this actually provides the best opportunity for international exposure so perhaps hiring international players would be the way to go.

Also, PashaBiceps is a beautiful soul.

Last edited:
CSGO and Overwatch are the route to go with potential for Hearthstone/Gwent individual sponsorships.
I know nothing about League of Legends and wouldn't have a clue what was going on. But I would be able to follow things like CSGO and Overwatch.

So if you're considering Collingwood supporters and how you can make the investment more palatable to members. Maybe something like CSGO and Overwatch would be the way to go.

I know nothing about League of Legends and wouldn't have a clue what was going on. But I would be able to follow things like CSGO and Overwatch.

So if you're considering Collingwood supporters and how you can make the investment more palatable to members. Maybe something like CSGO and Overwatch would be the way to go.

I don't see it being a success if you aim it towards current footballing fans and members who follow the club. Sure, some percentage might be mildly interested, and a smaller percentage might actively follow the team, but it won't amount to much. You need to be buying a successful team and marketing it to fans of that sport, with the hope that they become entangled in other Collingwood ventures. At the end of the day though we shouldn't be looking to use it as a way to increase our football members, but only as a way to strengthen our position as a club via financial gains. It's the AFL's job to grow the sport, we merely participate in it to the best of our abilities, and shouldn't waste resources doing their job.

So as mentioned, a team like Kings which was just disbanded in CSGO, and was probably the best or second-best team in CSGO within the Oceanic region across the last 12 months would be an OK start. You'd have people from all over the world - from Brazil, to the USA, to Poland - tuning in to watch them along with Australian fans. Then, if they found proper international success - which needs to be the goal, domestic success is irrelevant in eSports - you'd get even more international fans, creating a much greater base for sponsorship deals across the entire club.

esports are ******* awesome. they are basically for people who are too lazy to even click some buttons which pretty much describes me in my present state. bring on the egaming.

esports are ******* awesome. they are basically for people who are too lazy to even click some buttons which pretty much describes me in my present state. bring on the egaming.
If esports continue to grow at the rapid rate they are I'm seriously thinking of starting my own pharmaceutical company.

Exclusively manufacturing potent Vit D supplements.

diddy2.gif

seriously need to consider this just to give the supporter base an escape after lost grand finals.

Back