Multiplat AFL Evolution 2 - pre-launch thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went back with a clear mind to give Evo 1 another shot and see if it was how I remembered it. Still incredibly frustrating to play.

Marking contests all seem extremely random, I've messed with sliders to promote positioning above all else, with timing being half important, and marking stat being quarter as important. Yet I can't count the amount of times my player will be infront and I'll get green timing only for him to stop dead in his tracks while the player trailing him dives past him and takes a diving mark. Not just that though, the marking system in general just still shits me too. Whose idea was it to map a quick time kind of function to releasing a button? It goes against the muscle memory of every single game in history, especially for a fast moving sports game. For charge up things like kicking then sure, but marking?

Opponents all stick together like magnets. Draw the man? Nah, quite often your teammate will decide to stick to the opponent that's running straight at you rather than peeling off into space.

Clearance kick button is a great idea, pretty ******* dumb that it just goes wherever you're facing though instead of trying to kick it in some way towards your goal.

Not to say there aren't things I like. The goal kicking is great. Just overall I never feel like I'm in control of my players.

There are plenty of things we'd all want changed from Evo 1, and hopefully they have taken it on board. I'm sure Dan is still patrolling these threads, even if he won't sign into the Wicked Witches account. Any feedback that they can incorporate within their budget, I'm sure they will. They added heaps when they had the patch, and Evo was certainly a major improvement on Live 2.

Please please, fix the draft too haha I can't do a lasting career when every draft pick is a long sleeved, balding, overweight Sudanese man.

mike123

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Pokemon is Life
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
There are plenty of things we'd all want changed from Evo 1, and hopefully they have taken it on board. I'm sure Dan is still patrolling these threads, even if he won't sign into the Wicked Witches account. Any feedback that they can incorporate within their budget, I'm sure they will. They added heaps when they had the patch, and Evo was certainly a major improvement on Live 2.

Please please, fix the draft too haha I can't do a lasting career when every draft pick is a long sleeved, balding, overweight Sudanese man.
With red or blond hair

Apr 10, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
AFC Wimbledon
A more realistic career mode and that bingo card might look a little different.

Capture.PNG

Isn't this supposed to be out in like a week or something? or am I confused here?

During their initial press release, Wicked Witch or Tru Blu (can't remember who wrote it), said it was aiming for a Q2 release I believe. I guess that means up to June 30

MadMundy

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal, Glory, Bulls
During their initial press release, Wicked Witch or Tru Blu (can't remember who wrote it), said it was aiming for a Q2 release I believe. I guess that means up to June 30
Cheers mate, was unsure. For some reason i thought they said it was being released same time as 2017. My bad

Cheers mate, was unsure. For some reason i thought they said it was being released same time as 2017. My bad

To be honest, who knows. Could be out in two weeks, could be out in a year haha At least it's rated now, so it's allowed to be released whenever they want :p

Interesting. Anyone know of any sports games built off the Unreal Engine?

Edit: Answered for myself. ProEvo Soccer 2019 and the NBA 2k Playgrounds games.
Edit 2: Oops, ProEvo was the mobile version, so no "real" sports games on this engine. Hope the devs have experience with it.

Last edited:
Optimist: Hopefully this results in a smoother and more responsive experience and means they could focus more on getting the gameplay right.

Pessimist: Starting fresh on a brand new engine will make a very convenient excuse for why it's no good this time around. Restarts the "It's their first attempt" clock all over again.

Interesting. Anyone know of any sports games built off the Unreal Engine?

Edit: Answered for myself. ProEvo Soccer 2019 and the NBA 2k Playgrounds games.
Edit 2: Oops, ProEvo was the mobile version, so no "real" sports games on this engine. Hope the devs have experience with it.
Playgrounds is ******* awesome so now I’m really pumped for it.

NBA Playgrounds 2 (aka new version of NBA Jam) is a good game. Apart from the 3 point shootout mode. Can never get a good score on that.
As long as you pick someone with a 75 or higher 3 point stat you’re guaranteed a bucket every time you hit the meter.
But that’s for another thread.

Explains why they haven't even released screenshots yet. Seems like the game was almost done and they've been rolled over onto Unreal, and now they're scrambling to get it done. Good news though, hope we get to reap the rewards of that

Dec 8, 2006
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Still hate the marking in Evolution. Being asked to hold down the button in advance then letting go at the "right" time is so unintuitive. Marking has been pretty horrible in all AFL games, even the original Live which gets way too much love. Best tactic in that game was to spoil at every marking contest.

Nothing beats AFL 99's dedicated shirtfront button though!

lmaohelp

Club Legend
Mar 18, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
NY Rangers
Sounds like it was almost overhauled. So making comments about changes / improvements based off Evo1 is redundant now.

This is a whole new engine which will come with its own quirks and issues.

If the AFL continue to back the game and give it time to develop I’m happy with this decision and I will give it the patience it needs because I’m not expecting huge improvements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back