Multiplat AFL Evolution 2 - pre-launch thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

They need to stop now.

They won’t do it right so why bother?

I’ve been saying for years that they need to spend big initially to build the engine and get the fu Nations right. Once done, just release update packs each year for $20or so and recoup the costs of the initial development.

They need to stop now.

They won’t do it right so why bother?

I’ve been saying for years that they need to spend big initially to build the engine and get the fu Nations right. Once done, just release update packs each year for $20or so and recoup the costs of the initial development.
Or they can recoup the costs by charging $100 every two years and build it up bit by bit. I know I like that option.

I would love to see a create a guernsey option. Probably wouldn’t be too hard as they have setting to change colours for boots when you make your player as well as textures in the game files of red, green and blue (each of those colours being edited separately) so why not transfer that technology for a jumper. Just some basic designs in red green and blue, then maybe even have an option to import logos onto the jumpers. That bit would be quite a bit harder though.

**** me. You campaigners have seen or know nothing about the game. Relax a bit eh.
Yeah, I'm kinda with you there. Like, This is kinda the reason I haven't bothered to really to vist this forum much recently.

It just becomes the same old stuff of "AFL Need to Bring Back Big Ant!" and "This is going to suck."

I'm just personally burnt out on it. I do respect everyone's opinion here, I'm just personally tired of just seeing the same message every time I'm here. It's just boring at this point...

The 1 thing I hope we get in career mode (coach mode) is the ability to play with our reserves.

So if I pick Port Adelaide for example I get to play with both the AFL & SANFL sides each weekend and help build XP for every player on my list rather than having most of the lower ranked players on the list being unused.

**** me. You campaigners have seen or know nothing about the game. Relax a bit eh.

How much different will it really be than the last one? I'd wager not very.

How much different will it really be than the last one? I'd wager not very.
Its been what, 2 years since the last one? The upgrade DLC this year wouldn't have taken too much dev time. They haven't released anything since then, including on mobile so you have to assume that they have been working on this for a lot of that time. I'd expect quite a bit of improvement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its been what, 2 years since the last one? The upgrade DLC this year wouldn't have taken too much dev time. They haven't released anything since then, including on mobile so you have to assume that they have been working on this for a lot of that time. I'd expect quite a bit of improvement.

I guess it's possible.

IMO the mechanics of the game were ok, especially after the sliders were included.

The main hindrance was the way player positioning worked. There were 18 one on one contests. That's not how AFL was played. The game mechanics can't cope with 30 players around the ball. We get that. But allow some zoning or loose men.

This.

Bombing it long into the forward line should be cut off by defenders. The developers don't even have to emulate every type of game plan, just give the player control and let us do it. Even if mucking around with the tactics means you'll get weird unrealistic passages of play sometimes it will mean that each game you play will be different which will give the game a lot more longevity.

I have no doubt all those involved in the previous games worked hard on them, but at the price point, of which also doesn't budge much if at all from price on release, it's hard to drop $80 on a game you're unlikely to play long term.

For what it's worth, they probbaly have the hardest sport in the world to code a game for and think they've done ok on whats been produced in recent years.

Think they just need to work on a few more features outside of the core game to give a bigger hook to purchase.

Australian Rules Football must be the hardest sports game to make as there is so much different logic to implement in at any one moment. As they would already have a whole bunch of assets like rigged up models then more work can go into gameplay and any required engine modifications. The same developer making the games is a good thing.

These games are just soulless cash grabs with little care or quality put into them. The fact they're making another so soon proves the model employed last for them. They made their money, and now they're going to dupe people again.

You talk as if you expect NBA2K, a twenty year game of evolution with massive departments working on every detail in America.

For a smallish studio in Melbourne they did a great job!

Same with Big Ant in 2011.

They both did great jobs considering the resources and budgets they had. Never going to be perfect and Evolution 2 is the first game where there is an actual upgrade upon a previous game.

This is an AFL issue, nothing more. You can't blame developers, it comes down to the AFL and Tru Blu at the end of the day.

Also, in regards to Big Ant, it would have been great had they continued on, but clearly nothing was done where BA, Tru Blu and the AFL all sat down to say, this is really important, let's get a deal done, or at least not enough to the extent where it actually happened and was successful in terms of a new game, in other areas they got to help out behind the scenes on club levels. But even when the deal wasn't done, it's not like any mad scrabbling to desperately fix that happened either. So what more can you say??

Considering that, WW have done a good job to get something decent out there, you can't blame them, they were given the green light and are doing the best they can with the team they have.

Some empathy is required here. Imagine you are a game developer and you are given the project. You have nothing created yet, how would you go at the end of your project?? Would your game be good, bad, great, a mess, Ok, mediocre. The result is going to be a balance of things, great in some areas, other areas might be lower in priority, then you have to look at the project management side, there are a lot of complexities involved. Imagine you having to make a game from nothing.

We are yet to have an AFL game that has any sort of big upgrade on its predecessor. So Evolution 2 will at least have that.

Last edited:
I think part one laid solid ground work, the gameplay is alright.

The following needs to be prioritised for improvement:

1. Gameplans, structures, etc.
  2. Commentary
  3. Customisation (it was pretty fantastic facially, but everything below the neck was the same)
  4. New stadiums - some more state league stuff perhaps.
  5. Actual state league lists
  6. Sound Design, interactive crowds
I hope they keep the shitty umpiring, adds a true sense of realism.

Please let me snap from the boundary, then when it goes through let me do a super duper celebration!

Context sensitive celebrations is a big one for me

No one should celebrate super hard from a shot from the goal square in the first quarter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back