Fizzler

#BarUp
Dec 26, 2013
Just refuelling ⛽
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
BOLTS, REN, OKC, WFC, LVB, STORM
They need to make a Creation Suite/Social Hub, like with NBA 2K how you can upload a custom sponsor or logo so others can download,like or share that content and you can apply that content to your custom Guernsey or Stadium.

Create a Guernsey should consist of a selection of basic design templates for each club, collar/cuff designs,team logos,sponsors, licenced manufacturers and a colour editor.

Create a stadium could just consist of a selection of stands, scoreboard and barricade templates. For example if you wanted Metricon Stadiums stands for your custom clubs home field but your team colours are predominantly blue, you should be able to edit the seat colors from red to blue.The stadium name could be a combination of up to 4 words e.g 'Perth Dome' or 'Royal Sydney Stadium'.

Dynamic weather/time/lighting would be pretty sweet too.
This would be SO good. I’d gladly buy this. It baffles me as to why you can’t at least recolour custom jumpers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

mike123

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
Which are?
Mainly the fluidity or lack thereof of player movement. Whilst that marking glitch may have been fixed the marking system is still quite broken and the way players move before going up for marks makes no sense. So whilst you consider that a big change, I'd still consider it minor becuase it's becuase the rest of the marking is still poor.

GoldbergsGold

Team Captain
Sep 30, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Live was between Wii and Live 2, so really it’s only 5 years in which time the league has only commissioned 3 games.
AFL Challenge was their first AFL simulation game, all the way back in 2009. Basically 10 years ago. Think about why they're commissioning them in the first place, they're out to make a profit, not to make a decent Football game. They would have stuck with Big Ant if they cared about growing some sort of playable Football series. They have a "balance sheet" and want to make a profit, they don't care about the quality.

GetAroundHim99

Senior List
Apr 29, 2012
Geelong
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Denver Broncos, Scuderia Ferrari
AFL Challenge was their first AFL simulation game, all the way back in 2009. Basically 10 years ago. Think about why they're commissioning them in the first place, they're out to make a profit, not to make a decent Football game. They would have stuck with Big Ant if they cared about growing some sort of playable Football series. They have a "balance sheet" and want to make a profit, they don't care about the quality.
If the main problem with AFL Games is because the AFL won't take a loss and properly fund a video game to build a FIFA/NBA 2K like series, How do we convince the AFL that Video Games are a huge market and to go with a better dev team in your eyes?

That seems to be the main problem here.

GoldbergsGold

Team Captain
Sep 30, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
If the main problem with AFL Games is because the AFL won't take a loss and properly fund a video game to build a FIFA/NBA 2K like series, How do we convince the AFL that Video Games are a huge market and to go with a better dev team in your eyes?

That seems to be the main problem here.
Could start by not supporting their sub par products. They're going to have to do what The NFL and FIFA do, they make losses to promote their sports through video games. This isn't unprecedented. The AFL is a billion dollar industry that already blows millions on things they'll never get money back on, no idea why they're neglecting this.

GetAroundHim99

Senior List
Apr 29, 2012
Geelong
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Denver Broncos, Scuderia Ferrari
Could start by not supporting their sub par products. They're going to have to do what The NFL and FIFA do, they make losses to promote their sports through video games. This isn't unprecedented. The AFL is a billion dollar industry that already blows millions on things they'll never get money back on, no idea why they're neglecting this.
You sure that this will work? Normally this tends to kill things in their tracks. While it would get rid of Wicked Witch, Would it really inspire confidence for another dev to make another AFL game knowing that it probably won't make money on their end or the AFL to really invest in an AFL game?

Unless there is a campaign behind it making the message clear that this is what we want the AFL to do, All I can see that doing is killing AFL Games for the next 5-10 years. Like, There really aren't many Aussie Devs out there and Big Ant won't take it back without the budget.

GoldbergsGold

Team Captain
Sep 30, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
You sure that this will work? Normally this tends to kill things in their tracks. While it would get rid of Wicked Witch, Would it really inspire confidence for another dev to make another AFL game knowing that it probably won't make money on their end or the AFL to really invest in an AFL game?

Unless there is a campaign behind it making the message clear that this is what we want the AFL to do, All I can see that doing is killing AFL Games for the next 5-10 years. Like, There really aren't many Aussie Devs out there and Big Ant won't take it back without the budget.
The AFL don't even hand over the license for free, they're money grabbing which isn't even what FIFA and The NFL necessarily do, it's a marketing tool for them. They're literally looking for the cheapest developers, so to say they're progressing when their products are cheap and inferior to an almost 8 year old game is beyond me. They're gonna have to change their attitude towards the billion dollar gaming industry. Lol, AFL games have really been dead for a long time, now, so it doesn't make much of a difference.

1990crow

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 31, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Need to nail the coaching, trading, drafting etc aspect of the game. Thats where you will get people interested.

- more security in job to give coach freedom to develop the list through trade and draft
- free agency
- better draft model and scouting pages similar to premiership coach. Have more draftees ready to play with high ceilings. Have super drafts some years, average drafts others.
- realistic trading value based on points worth. I.e. a 28 year old 90 rated player would be worth around pick 12, 25 year old worth pick 6 etc.
- have first draft for the year include draftees that are already touted as going top 50, use the bigfooty board. Fans now track these kids.

Otherwise oppurtunity to create a team from scratch in the AFL, replacing a team of your choice.
- use free agency model to get priority access to one player from each club
- replaced clubs players. New club gets access to 10 of their players, remainder act as free agents to remaining clubs to replace lost players to new club.
- strong draft hand similar to Gws and gc start up (picks 1,2,3,5,7,9,11,13,15,19,37 etc)
- create own guernsey, colours, choose home ground

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1990crow

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 31, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Played this game for the first time over the past couple of days.

Drafting and trading sucks. Quite a poor effort really. Please pay attention to how Premiership Coach did it if you’re interested in making a worth while game.

magpienato

The Swooping Magpie
Oct 27, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Packers, Raptors, Renegades
I played Evo the other day and realised that marking is still fkd up. Try to master it but theres just a million things I need to get perfect yet the AI on easy difficulty gets it without sweating. Does anyone remember the marking being this bad in AFL Live?

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Fizzler

#BarUp
Dec 26, 2013
Just refuelling ⛽
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
I played Evo the other day and realised that marking is still fkd up. Try to master it but theres just a million things I need to get perfect yet the AI on easy difficulty gets it without sweating. Does anyone remember the marking being this bad in AFL Live?

They changed the controls for it between Live 2 and Evo. Hold triangle until the two circles meet and then let go when they meet. Or just triangle when they meet. Either one works.

chinvpl

Draftee
Oct 26, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn

I've been reading this thread, and others, and keep seeing the marking aspect of the game being touted as broken. I am not Australian but have bought the game and been playing it a bit. Seems fun. But would be interested to get a proper breakdown of what people think is broken with the marking.

magpienato

The Swooping Magpie
Oct 27, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Packers, Raptors, Renegades
I've been reading this thread, and others, and keep seeing the marking aspect of the game being touted as broken. I am not Australian but have bought the game and been playing it a bit. Seems fun. But would be interested to get a proper breakdown of what people think is broken with the marking.
It's not broken per say, it's just convoluted. You have to get the timing right, then you have to be in a better position than your opponent, and finally you can't bee too far forward or too far back. It's just so much to think about and really hard to master and you'd think a skill such as marking should be fairly easy to do well in. Madden's marking (or catching) mechanics are so simplistic to learn and time. Not saying the game should be dumbed down and made super easy, but this one aspect of the game brings so much frustration because of how it was executed.

I like the circle idea, 9/10 I will get the timing perfect but it's all those other things to worry about and it just makes it a chore to play the game because you know you're always going to get outmarked even if you're Brodie Grundy up against Caleb Daniel. What doesn't help is that the AI does all of this perfectly which makes it seem like an 80/20 contest when both sides should have an even chance of getting it.

mike123

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
Then there’s also how finicky the player movement is so it’s hard to control your player to get into the right position.

chinvpl

Draftee
Oct 26, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Does player stats not come into it? So it would be some combination of Jump/Marking/Position/Timing? So is the ratio of those things out?

I find the speed of the game makes it very difficult to try to position your player for the mark. It could probably do with being slowed down a bit? Is it because it is fast that the player movement is difficult to get right for the mark?

I think the speed in general is too fast. It feels like there is not enough time sometimes to offload a ball before being tackled to the ground, but that might just be my inexperience of the game.

Fizzler

#BarUp
Dec 26, 2013
Just refuelling ⛽
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Does player stats not come into it? So it would be some combination of Jump/Marking/Position/Timing? So is the ratio of those things out?

I find the speed of the game makes it very difficult to try to position your player for the mark. It could probably do with being slowed down a bit? Is it because it is fast that the player movement is difficult to get right for the mark?

I think the speed in general is too fast. It feels like there is not enough time sometimes to offload a ball before being tackled to the ground, but that might just be my inexperience of the game.
I would’ve though stats come into it. If I play with the international teams even if I time it perfect and position it perfect they usually drop the mark.

Bobsuruncle123

Draftee
May 16, 2019
AFL Club
Geelong
I reckon it would be awesome to create your own draft like in 2k and to be able to have better home screen and gameplay. Like geez I know they’d find a way to focus on a my team/ultimate team thing but imagine if we had 2k (preferably) or ea on board. Unrealistic but dare to dream

Top Bottom