Multiplat AFL Evolution 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Just played my first game. Absolute belter. 7.5m quarters, second highest difficulty, Richmond v Collingwood.

Quarter time down 32-13 as I get used to controls. Grundy full back and Phillips ruck helped there. Half time down 53-19. Worked it out a bit second half, kicking 6.4 to 1.3 in the third to close the margin to 3 with one quarter remaining.

Kicked the first two last quarter to lead by 9. Played with tactics, throwing a spare back and bringing up the forwards to slow it down. This backfired and the pies drew level. Managed to burst forward and get a goal to lead by 6 with 4 game minutes left. Again flooded back, but treloar drilled one on the run from 50 and scores were levelled with 90 seconds left. Went forward and scored before killing the ball to win by 6.

Impressions are, this game is the best AFL game yet. I loved AFL Live - this game has captured the fun of that, the ability to generate overlap run, body use in marking contests, but added much more. Tactics are great and AI decision making was far improved on Evo 1. They would always shoot inside 50 unless a teammate was free. Had some amazing moments both for and against where it felt like genuine AFL. A couple of vintage Richmond forward pressure, running in waves goals, a pendles front and center snap goal, players in the best position would mark it - If grimes was leading back to the ball, I could mark with confidence. But on the flipside castagna got monstered by Howe and roughead.

Pies got a goal over the back where they had an empty 50 and 3 players streaming in. I got a quick inside 50 end to end where I had baker v roughead. Was able to nudge him under the ball then burn him for accelerarion and score. Basically, it felt like AFL. The tackling isn't evo 1 either. You need to time it, if you don't, you lunge and miss and the opposition gains separation.

A lot of assumptions there from one game and probably in time there will be patterns I learn I can abuse, but that was a stellar experience first up. Not stressed if it may be too easy as can always tinker with sliders - not that it was too easy, but only first game on second highest difficulty so it may be. But defs helped by my ruck dominance, hopefully they patch that.

Just played my first game. Absolute belter. 7.5m quarters, second highest difficulty, Richmond v Collingwood.

Quarter time down 32-13 as I get used to controls. Grundy full back and Phillips ruck helped there. Half time down 53-19. Worked it out a bit second half, kicking 6.4 to 1.3 in the third to close the margin to 3 with one quarter remaining.

Kicked the first two last quarter to lead by 9. Played with tactics, throwing a spare back and bringing up the forwards to slow it down. This backfired and the pies drew level. Managed to burst forward and get a goal to lead by 6 with 4 game minutes left. Again flooded back, but treloar drilled one on the run from 50 and scores were levelled with 90 seconds left. Went forward and scored before killing the ball to win by 6.

Impressions are, this game is the best AFL game yet. I loved AFL Live - this game has captured the fun of that, the ability to generate overlap run, body use in marking contests, but added much more. Tactics are great and AI decision making was far improved on Evo 1. They would always shoot inside 50 unless a teammate was free. Had some amazing moments both for and against where it felt like genuine AFL. A couple of vintage Richmond forward pressure, running in waves goals, a pendles front and center snap goal, players in the best position would mark it - If grimes was leading back to the ball, I could mark with confidence. But on the flipside castagna got monstered by Howe and roughead.

Pies got a goal over the back where they had an empty 50 and 3 players streaming in. I got a quick inside 50 end to end where I had baker v roughead. Was able to nudge him under the ball then burn him for accelerarion and score. Basically, it felt like AFL. The tackling isn't evo 1 either. You need to time it, if you don't, you lunge and miss and the opposition gains separation.

A lot of assumptions there from one game and probably in time there will be patterns I learn I can abuse, but that was a stellar experience first up. Not stressed if it may be too easy as can always tinker with sliders - not that it was too easy, but only first game on second highest difficulty so it may be. But defs helped by my ruck dominance, hopefully they patch that.

Sounds awesome!

Apart from the ruckman bug, most of the issues I've been reading about are mainly affecting career mode and longer forms of the game like that, with the actual gameplay sounding excellent.

If I get a chance to play it, will definitely be sticking to single matches until at least the first patch is out. Not even sure if I'll bother with sliders, because that'll probably be thrown out of whack with patches too.

Still in awe of people being able to play through seasons already haha

Been doing a ratings update but will see how what the ratings patch is like when it comes out. Open for suggestions about my ratings.

I've had some similar games, it's exhilarating. I've come back from large margins a number of times and had the opposite happen to me which makes me believe momentum has been coded into the game - I love it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've had some similar games, it's exhilarating. I've come back from large margins a number of times and had the opposite happen to me which makes me believe momentum has been coded into the game - I love it.

Just finished second game. Won 10.0 to 5.16 despite losing inside 50s 46 to 18 vs gws away.

Again gameplay experience was great. Main issue I'm encountering is AI goal kicking. 5.16 and plenty out on full, very kickable goals. Should have lost really. Remarkable that it was shipped with goal kicking this bad to be honest. Would be very obvious to anyone playing more than a game or two that it needs fixing.

Been doing a ratings update but will see how what the ratings patch is like when it comes out. Open for suggestions about my ratings.

I can't believe you copied my ratings, made some adjustments and called them yours! Not only that but you have released supposedly your ratings just before I was about to finish mine. Ouch.

I wish there was a way to use the camera for kick-outs in general play when you get a mark. Being able to point the camera in the direction the player with the ball is facing would be very useful when using the end-to-end camera.
That’s a feature we had back in 2003

Sounds like rubberband AI to me. Which would suck.

Hope I'm wrong.

Just finished second game. Won 10.0 to 5.16 despite losing inside 50s 46 to 18 vs gws away.

Again gameplay experience was great. Main issue I'm encountering is AI goal kicking. 5.16 and plenty out on full, very kickable goals. Should have lost really. Remarkable that it was shipped with goal kicking this bad to be honest. Would be very obvious to anyone playing more than a game or two that it needs fixing.
5.16 sounds like a normal game these days. Teams don't know how to kick

Remove this Banner Ad

Back