Multiplat AFL Evolution 2

Hawthorn v Fremantle

I dominated the first half. Fremantle blitzed me in the second and I was very lucky to hang on by 10 points!

As for the camera angle I keep it on side, distance: mid and zoom 85 height still on 50. My reasoning - yes I might miss out on seeing part of the play, but I do not want to look at ants on the screen, I need to see the players a little more closer so that I can tell who is who in terms of timing the marks etc. Yes I might have to bomb in hope from time to time, but I'm comfortable with this play style for now.

The rain is a bit weird in the game, the rain on the ground looks very cartoony......... and the rain blotches on the camera look a bit weird (single line streaks). I love what they originally did in Evolution 1 prior to the first patch (too much rain is never enough!!).

Jun 5, 2004
AFL Club
West Coast
I ordered on Tuesday from JB and it arrived today. Played a couple of games with my oldest kid. He played Eagles so for lols I went the Dockers. He started well as he remembered the controls from the first game and could mark. As soon as I got familiar, I had him easy but slowed up to try and let him win (because * Fremantle). Ended up drawing the game, didn't bother with OT.

Started playing a WAFL Grand Final, which is fun. Sucks the player names are made up but can't expect everything.

Initial impressions are positive. If I can customise settings like many have said, I'll be happy. Core gameplay seems pretty solid. Having played every AFL game available since the NES days, I would say this is pretty close to AFL Live in terms of the positive vibe I'm feeling from this. I look forward to sinking my teeth in more, as I found Evo1 underwhelming. I have liked the play drawing near the ball, you can get ball into space. And finding players in space here and there is great, especially at kick ins.

I also have to say, I love the triangle button as a high, hack kick option. It's hilariously effective. I'm having to coach my son not to keep using circle for kicking, and use the space down the flanks and wings. Hopefully he'll get good at it like he has at NBA and FIFA and we can have competitive games, because I don't think I'll bother with online.

Some questions:

I don't have PS Plus and never really use online matches, but can you play online with a friend who has the game without PS Plus?

Also, one thing that seemed like a bug - my son's player seemed to go haywire and any time he got the ball it would kick immediately. Anyone else experienced this?

LukeH10

Team Captain
Jul 19, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
View attachment 854969

I'm getting this really annoying issue where the corners of the game are getting cut off. Half the time is missing etc. Thought it could have been the aspect on my TV but that wasn't the issue. Has this happened to anyone else or does anyone know how to fix it?
I have the same issue. I am guessing it’s more to do with the actual tv. I haven’t bothered trying to fix it yet but probably should I never know how long is left 🤣

LukeH10

Team Captain
Jul 19, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
I ordered on Tuesday from JB and it arrived today. Played a couple of games with my oldest kid. He played Eagles so for lols I went the Dockers. He started well as he remembered the controls from the first game and could mark. As soon as I got familiar, I had him easy but slowed up to try and let him win (because fu** Fremantle). Ended up drawing the game, didn't bother with OT.

Started playing a WAFL Grand Final, which is fun. Sucks the player names are made up but can't expect everything.

Initial impressions are positive. If I can customise settings like many have said, I'll be happy. Core gameplay seems pretty solid. Having played every AFL game available since the NES days, I would say this is pretty close to AFL Live in terms of the positive vibe I'm feeling from this. I look forward to sinking my teeth in more, as I found Evo1 underwhelming. I have liked the play drawing near the ball, you can get ball into space. And finding players in space here and there is great, especially at kick ins.

I also have to say, I love the triangle button as a high, hack kick option. It's hilariously effective. I'm having to coach my son not to keep using circle for kicking, and use the space down the flanks and wings. Hopefully he'll get good at it like he has at NBA and FIFA and we can have competitive games, because I don't think I'll bother with online.

Some questions:

I don't have PS Plus and never really use online matches, but can you play online with a friend who has the game without PS Plus?

Also, one thing that seemed like a bug - my son's player seemed to go haywire and any time he got the ball it would kick immediately. Anyone else experienced this?
You will need PS plus to play any kind of online

LukeH10

Team Captain
Jul 19, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
They need to fix people being able to take a million speckies per game. Offline it’s fine but when you play online and you vs someone who constantly attempts them and they pull off at least 70% of them it is basically impossible to win.

Jun 5, 2004
AFL Club
West Coast
Thanks for clarifying, makes it easy for me then, can't be bothered paying just for the privilege of playing online.

They need to fix people being able to take a million speckies per game. Offline it’s fine but when you play online and you vs someone who constantly attempts them and they pull off at least 70% of them it is basically impossible to win.

And this makes it even more of a sound decision for me, tbh. Online can be fun, but you need to have a fair game. One thing that was always annoying from AFL Live was people finding an exploit and then just hammering it. Makes games completely pointless to me. It's great to win, but you want a fair contest and have an exciting game and not just a game of who can do this particular exploit the best.

Thanks for clarifying, makes it easy for me then, can't be bothered paying just for the privilege of playing online.

And this makes it even more of a sound decision for me, tbh. Online can be fun, but you need to have a fair game. One thing that was always annoying from AFL Live was people finding an exploit and then just hammering it. Makes games completely pointless to me. It's great to win, but you want a fair contest and have an exciting game and not just a game of who can do this particular exploit the best.

Remember at the start before the patches came in and you could move the man on the mark around to the side on set shots, such that the player moving out on an arc for the kick would get the ball smothered? Was like 90% effective.

However I tended to find that players who used that exploit generally sucked at the game and were using this to compensate, so you could still find a way to win (typically by playing on) but still annoying.

Also it's 7AM in the United States and whilst it's up on the Xbox store it's nowhere to be seen on the US Playstation store. I think I'll give it until the end of my work day before I just give in and buy it on xbox :cool:

2006_Eagles

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Spooderman Meme Medal
Sep 6, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Pelicans, Perf Wildcats
Also it's 7AM in the United States and whilst it's up on the Xbox store it's nowhere to be seen on the US Playstation store. I think I'll give it until the end of my work day before I just give in and buy it on xbox :cool:
Boooooo

nick1408

Club Legend
Dec 12, 2010
Why?
AFL Club
Richmond
I have the same issue. I am guessing it’s more to do with the actual tv. I haven’t bothered trying to fix it yet but probably should I never know how long is left 🤣

WTF just happened? Played my first season game. It was fairly even halfway through the last, then I lost by 50. Everything I did I was penalised. Get tackled, holding the ball. Tackle them, high. Out-marked every time (only in the last few minutes).

******* umpires, even in this they're maggots. Pretty realistic I guess!

Match rant aside, I think it's plays pretty well. Still need to get used to the controls and learn all the different kicks and what not. Seems to have fairly realistic momentum shifts. Will play a season and then probably jump into Be a Pro.

Apr 5, 2018
Brisbane, QLD
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Strikers
I ordered on Tuesday from JB and it arrived today. Played a couple of games with my oldest kid. He played Eagles so for lols I went the Dockers. He started well as he remembered the controls from the first game and could mark. As soon as I got familiar, I had him easy but slowed up to try and let him win (because fu** Fremantle). Ended up drawing the game, didn't bother with OT.

Some questions:

had the same issue about the random kicking as well, uncommon but still a pain

Selim

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 10, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
anyone done the come from 52 points down to win trophy? do you actually gotta let them get 52 points ahead or can u just do exhibition and put them 52 points up with the score setter??

cause i tried that and it didnt pop for me

NotAMagpieBogan

Premiership Player
Mar 17, 2014
Vic
AFL Club
Collingwood
Fairly happy with the Guernsey Creator, pretty basic but a pretty decent amount of templates to choose from. I would’ve liked to see some logos from some of the AFLs partners (Toyota, Coca Cola etc.) to chose from as sponsors for the jumpers, but I understand the difficulty in that being possible.

Some pretty creative jumpers are on the Fanhub.

2006_Eagles

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Spooderman Meme Medal
Sep 6, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Pelicans, Perf Wildcats
Do you watch much modern football? FF do bananas from straight in front.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Predominantly snaps, but I get the sentiment

I blame Stevie J for killing the set shot drop punt

WTF just happened? Played my first season game. It was fairly even halfway through the last, then I lost by 50. Everything I did I was penalised. Get tackled, holding the ball. Tackle them, high. Out-marked every time (only in the last few minutes).

******* umpires, even in this they're maggots. Pretty realistic I guess!

Match rant aside, I think it's plays pretty well. Still need to get used to the controls and learn all the different kicks and what not. Seems to have fairly realistic momentum shifts. Will play a season and then probably jump into Be a Pro.

Something very strange is going on. Hawthorn v Geelong - I dominated the first quarter and had a pretty handy buffer, they then dominated the second and third quarters where I was outscored. Fourth quarter was a tight struggle between both teams, I clawed Geelong's lead back to just 1 point with just moments remaining. I thought I was gone for all money, when Timmy O'Brien marked inside the forward 50. He converted with 15 seconds remaining on the clock...... just enough time to return to the center bounce and a clearance before the siren sounded and Hawthorn emerged victorious! The second last goal that I kicked was more of a miracle 55m torpedo, it just managed to curve in with it being very wet and windy.

I was getting a bit frustrated as when I would adjust the angle taking the wind direction into account, the ball would go straight and ignore what I thought would be the curve( with the wind indicator working overtime). Yet when I had an identical shot........... and didn't move the player, the ball would be affected by the wind and I'd score a behind.

Also unsure if it was due to the wet conditions or the AI was going mental. But they were pinged a lot more for high tackles in this match.

I encounted the bug where the cpu AI player was trying to move forward, but it was like the AI was trying to move in front of an invisible wall. This was when the AI was trying to take a free kick.

I also laughed at the AI, I kicked the ball out on the full. They did exactly the same thing with the kick in straight after.
Also the AI still does the annoying thing where they sometimes "switch" direction (eg: instead of continuing down the wing, after marking or taking possession of the ball from the half back line. They'll kick it back to the back pocket ORRRR I've seen the AI kick the ball from the half back line to the wing, only for the player to mark the ball on the wing, kick it back to the half back flank). This happened a lot in Evolution 1.

Side note: I'm yet to see an example of "switching the play" that people have mentioned ? I used to kick down the line from back pocket to back pocket with ease in Evolution 1 and have managed to do it again in Evolution 2. Is that what people are referring to ?

I like elements of Evolution 2, yes it plays more like football..... I don't like how loose the controls seem this time around (even though yes it's largely the same control scheme). It doesn't feel like I have total control of what's happening on screen, when on the defensive side for example....when you attempt to tackle the player with the ball, it's just odd and looks disjointed (especially if you misread the direction the player with the ball is heading to).

Sep 8, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Does anyone else feel like directional hand pass usually just shoots in front to space? Also I try to lock on to kick to a player and it’ll auto select another nearby player to try and mark.
Also is there a way to cancel an input? Like how in fifa you could press both triggers at the same time to cancel a kick/shot, for example I take a mark on the wing not far out - try to play on straight away but the falling/rolling animation ruins any chance of momentum - but I’ve already pressed R2 so he’s gonna play on anyway.
Also how tf are you supposed to know who you’re kicking to - most my kicks just go to space then AI suddenly has 4 loose in the middle. I feel like the speed of the game is too quick to receive ball/look at minimap - choose a target... maybe I’m just old now.

It doesn't feel like I have total control of what's happening on screen, when on the defensive side for example....when you attempt to tackle the player with the ball, it's just odd and looks disjointed (especially if you misread the direction the player with the ball is heading to).

I think that's a deliberate design decision. Tackling used to be far too easy, both in WW games and in the Big Ant game. Simply holding down a button and knowing you'll be fine (with just a small risk of a free kick) was too easy.

I think that having to time the tackles should help. I mean, it's just like real life if you attempt to tackle a player but get their direction wrong.

Anyway I haven't managed to play the game yet but that's just my probably uninformed 2 cents based on some of the Twistie developer videos.

Dec 8, 2006
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Couple of bugs in the last game I played. Was playing as Eagles vs Sydney at Optus.

Sydney fans massively outnumbered Eagles fans even though it was at Optus.
In the last quarter, the Freo chant started up every time I kicked a goal. I had to pause the game for ages so not sure if that was what caused the issue because the chants were correct before then (they just sounded terrible, but I don't think that's a bug :$).

Once I've played a few more games I'll post proper impressions, but so far the bugs are just hilarious (haven't played anything other than single match, because there seems to be much more serious bugs in longer modes).

I love being able to switch the play. And running with the ball, setting up a chain of handballs before hitting a target inside 50. So much fun. Better than both Live games and the first Evolution in that aspect of actually playing footy.

I understand some of the tackle-fest criticisms, but even that feels pretty realistic to me.

footyfan000001

Cancelled
Jun 8, 2006
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Loving the game so far. Anyone else got any good sliders numbers?

My only negatives:

- playing against veteran - a player will snap from 55 on the boundary off one step and kick the goal straight through the middle. Just not realistic.

- set shots are too easy. Goal kicking radar needs to be quicker in order for us to muck it up. Or make a “hot spot” in the middle of a radar.

- silly position changes - Sean Darcy playing full back. Mitch Wallis at full back. Always been an issue.

-Hack kicks using the triangle button- Perhaps too easy??

My positives:

- Kicking forward to nobody inside 50 sometimes - ends up being a foot race. Genuinely entertaining.

- Crowd cheering team name after goals. “Bulldogs cha cha”

-Crowd yelling ballllll after a tackle.

-Overall flow of a match feels a lot better.

I think that's a deliberate design decision. Tackling used to be far too easy, both in WW games and in the Big Ant game. Simply holding down a button and knowing you'll be fine (with just a small risk of a free kick) was too easy.

I think that having to time the tackles should help. I mean, it's just like real life if you attempt to tackle a player but get their direction wrong.

Anyway I haven't managed to play the game yet but that's just my probably uninformed 2 cents based on some of the Twistie developer videos.

I think in creating so many new ways to play they could be in danger of over complicating it as well. There's a few weird moments as an attacking player (both with and without ball as your team moves around you).

I'm thinking its Unreal Engine related

Back