Multiplat AFL Evolution 2

Aug 13, 2012
Waiting for Josh Kelly #2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Played my mate online today. Have played each other about 15 times since getting the game, he's won majority of them since he's much better than me when it comes to marking, especially taking speckies. He always does, it's infuriating.

I was 25 points down at 3QT and managed to kick four consecutive goals to get back within a point. With a minute left he kicked it inside 50, went for a speckie and gave away a free for a push in the back. I took it down the field and kicked a goal on the run from 40m with about 10 seconds to go to grab the lead.

Mahama

Team Captain
Dec 28, 2003
Canberra
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Anyone else finding the game is inconsistent with how it handles a player leaving an online game? Just played 3 online games - leading in all 3 when the opponent left and the game ended.

First one, I'm given a loss.
Second one, I'm given a win.
Last one, I'm given a draw.

The message that popped up after each game differed as well as far as I recall, which seems odd. If I was fighting for a good spot on the leaderboard I'd be tearing my hair out.

Completely separate to that, some very brief thoughts on the game... It's fun at times, but gee it's exhausting to play, which is a feeling I don't recall from AFL Live or AFL Evolution 1. It feels like I'm constantly fighting with the controls.

Plenty of examples, but the clearest and most consistently bad has to be the manual direction-based player switching/targeting. I've spent entire opposition set shot routines trying to manually switch to the deepest defender to get them on the goal line (because the AI doesn't do this for you) only to have it cycle between 5 other players. And forget about quickly and reliably switching to a particular player to move away from the ball and cut off handball options - something I specifically remember being able to do in AFL Live.

Plenty of examples, but the clearest and most consistently bad has to be the manual direction-based player switching/targeting. I've spent entire opposition set shot routines trying to manually switch to the deepest defender to get them on the goal line (because the AI doesn't do this for you) only to have it cycle between 5 other players. And forget about quickly and reliably switching to a particular player to move away from the ball and cut off handball options - something I specifically remember being able to do in AFL Live.
Yep, 100%. I hadn't mentioned it yet but hadn't seen anyone else complain so just figured I hadn't "worked it out" yet. It is a real rarity for me to get to my desired receiver/defender in under 5 button pushes. The directional stick seems to barely help at all.

Evo 2 and potentially Evo 3 has a good chance to become something great

How many times are we going to say this though before accepting it probably won't? Every WW game we look at the good and bad and go "Well at least it's a decent base to build on" and then we wait 2-3 years and get the same bugs and rehashed stuff and say it all again.

Yep, 100%. I hadn't mentioned it yet but hadn't seen anyone else complain so just figured I hadn't "worked it out" yet. It is a real rarity for me to get to my desired receiver/defender in under 5 button pushes. The directional stick seems to barely help at all.

It's worse when it's at a centre bounce and you can only change between your ruckman or the 1 on baller you don't want.

I'll try and bash the buttons so I can control Fyfe for example, or ideally whatever mid is in the most space, but the game refuses to give me the option.

KingNothing

All Australian
Sep 23, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
This in particular has been been Shitting me today. I'll take a mark and hold R1 to target someone, and usually it picks someone I don't want to kick to. Which is fine, it's not to know who I want to kick to. But from there the controls are incredibly unresponsive, to the point where I often just can't get the marker on who I wanna target and have to just kick it in that direction. Pushing the right stick to change who I'm target often does nothing, and even if it does work it usually changes it to someone in a different direction than I've pushed.

Also finding tackling more annoying the more I play. Sometimes your tackler will teleport several metres to lay a tackle it looks like you cannot reach, and other times you'll practically be on top of your intended target only to have your tackler do that stumble animation he does when you're not close enough to tackle... Yet you're clearly close enough

Apr 10, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
AFC Wimbledon
An AFL game from 2011 on an older generation console looks better than a 2020 version of the same game on a newer console.

Enough said.

... except of course that it just doesn't.

Does a 2011 game from an older generation play better than a 2020 version?

That we could debate.

Has the 2020 version improved visually enough when compared to a 2011 PS3 game?

Again, argue away.

But...
"an AFL game from 2011 on an older generation console looks better than a 2020 version of the same game on a newer console
('same game' is debatable in itself)."

Last edited:

CazC30

Far from the madding crowd.
Jan 12, 2017
Essex.
AFL Club
West Coast
The camera needs to automatically zoom out when a free kick or mark is given to show the field, and then smoothly zoom back in for general scrappy play.

I blame Ross and Big Ant.

Amirite gaiz!
This is a Good point and wonder if it can be implemented.

I love Ross!!! But I love Josh Kennedy more.

CazC30

Jan 12, 2017
Essex.
AFL Club
West Coast
By now I'm pretty comfortable with my customized dynamic setting. But if you could just move the camera with the bloody right stick after marks and free kicks I'd be so much happier
Ah yes, this is a great idea... You would look around to see another pass not as if you have blinders on.

CazC30

Jan 12, 2017
Essex.
AFL Club
West Coast
Interesting if this is the case because the AI always look for body contact in the ruck so I wonder if it’s possible for us to do it as effectively as the AI
I'm wondering if there's any sliders to experiment with, if so a balance would need to be found, it could add an extra 'tussle' to the marking.

CazC30

Jan 12, 2017
Essex.
AFL Club
West Coast
Has anyone tinkered with the AI gaol kicking accuracy and has it improved or still totally inept.

Fretless108

Rookie
Apr 10, 2020
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Notre Dame, Sheffield United
Has anyone tinkered with the AI gaol kicking accuracy and has it improved or still totally inept.

Yeah, I set all the AI goal accuracy to 88, while mine (user) stays at 50. They still kick a few points but, for the most part, it's usually goals. I also set the AI kick power to 65 so they can bomb them in from afar. Makes for some very tight games on the higher difficulties.

CazC30

Jan 12, 2017
Essex.
AFL Club
West Coast
Yeah, I set all the AI goal accuracy to 88, while mine (user) stays at 50. They still kick a few points but, for the most part, it's usually goals. I also set the AI kick power to 65 so they can bomb them in from afar. Makes for some very tight games on the higher difficulties.
Okay cool thanks, as long as they score some points, not ready for higher than senior as I'm not seasoned but at least it might make it a contest.

CazC30

Jan 12, 2017
Essex.
AFL Club
West Coast
This game is so true to life Fremantle hanging around the bottom of the ladder but Carlton around mid way... Not too realistic then.

This game is so true to life Fremantle hanging around the bottom of the ladder but Carlton around mid way... Not too realistic then.
About 9 rounds in my bottom four consisted of Richmond, West Coast, GWS and Brisbane.

That was with the base ratings though, I’ll probably start a new save after I finish this season because I’m not prepared for Jake Pasini to be the leagues next big thing.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
About 9 rounds in my bottom four consisted of Richmond, West Coast, GWS and Brisbane.

That was with the base ratings though, I’ll probably start a new save after I finish this season because I’m not prepared for Jake Pasini to be the leagues next big thing.
Pasini ratings got updated a week ago to something more fitting.

Fretless108

Rookie
Apr 10, 2020
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Notre Dame, Sheffield United

Carlton probably SHOULD be mid way - or maybe even in the eight given their player list - but sadly (for Carlton supporters at least) they're not.

Back