Multiplat AFL Evolution 2

Remove this Banner Ad

The game is still damn fun to play.

Finding it really irritating though when I have a loose ball in the goalsquare and I'm trying to soccer it through. I've tried tapping and holding down the goal kick button, but I reckon 7/10 times my player will pick it up, and in turn will run it over the line for a rushed behind.
See I have the complete opposite problem when the ball is in the goal square my team just automatically soccers it and I don’t have a chance to pick it up haha

See I have the complete opposite problem when the ball is in the goal square my team just automatically soccers it and I don’t have a chance to pick it up haha

I had one instance yesterday where I tried doing a Daicos dribble from the forward pocket, it went straight across the goalsquare where my FF was standing and he soccered it through without me even touching the controller. It was quite cool, almost like a soccer cross.

The game is still damn fun to play.

Finding it really irritating though when I have a loose ball in the goalsquare and I'm trying to soccer it through. I've tried tapping and holding down the goal kick button, but I reckon 7/10 times my player will pick it up, and in turn will run it over the line for a rushed behind.

I can't figure out how to kick it off the ground

I'm also terrible at locking prior to kicking

I had one instance yesterday where I tried doing a Daicos dribble from the forward pocket, it went straight across the goalsquare where my FF was standing and he soccered it through without me even touching the controller. It was quite cool, almost like a soccer cross.

I find it easier to just switch player when something important is happening like attempting to mark or soccer goals - letting the computer do it

Will do. Have certainly tweaked them since the last 2 updates, and I’ve improved (really finding how important a good possession game is, as well as handballing.)
I’ll post them when I next fire up the game.

Not sure if it’s obvious or not, but I’m really enjoying the lock on kicking now.
it doesn’t work 100% of the time (and I’m cool with that, as I use to almost always manually aim passes), but the 95% that it does, it creates great linkage and out numbering plays.

Since I play with play direction camera, every turn over pivots the camera 180.
But the lock on targeting system is based on camera view, and the stick direction is relative to that.

So I can very quickly “hunt” the player I want by continually moving the left stick in the direction of the player i want, and tapping R1 until the right one is locked.
where this is most helpful is finding free men, whether it’s a switch or an overlap. (on some fast overlaps after a switch, I usually manually chip it, as it’s quicker and I can kick into the free space a man is running to, so he can run on with it).

I now have absolutely no issues doing ”blind” switches, as I angle my left sick sideways at the free man on the map, and then lock on to him. (As players move, it might take a few taps of R1 to target the correct guy)
This quite often creates overlaps for an extra man over the top, or a short kick to a free team mate. (One important slider to reduce is AI smothering, so they don’t smother every kick you take without fully pushing back off the mark).

again, probably common knowledge, but massively improved my enjoyment and the free flowing nature once I improved at this.
I use Play Direction too and also found the R1 lock on a lot better....however the mini map doesn’t pivot with the camera... it stays side on... so sometimes I look and that and know I’m incorrectly holding down on the stick, but it actually needs down and right because if the camera angle.

How many possessions are people getting in a game? I’m scoring 100+ easily, 7.5 minute quarters, but my leading possession getter is rarely over the 12-14 mark and it’s usually my back pocket who I kick in to. Midfielders in the single digits.

I want to start a season now that the patches are in, but I don’t want to have the stats be entirely skewed. A full season of Shuey and Yeo averaging eight touches a game each, no thanks. Can’t extend quarters as the score would become beyond unrealistic.

How many possessions are people getting in a game? I’m scoring 100+ easily, 7.5 minute quarters, but my leading possession getter is rarely over the 12-14 mark and it’s usually my back pocket who I kick in to. Midfielders in the single digits.

I want to start a season now that the patches are in, but I don’t want to have the stats be entirely skewed. A full season of Shuey and Yeo averaging eight touches a game each, no thanks. Can’t extend quarters as the score would become beyond unrealistic.

There will always be a low possession to goal ratio. Pick which annoys you less.

There will always be a low possession to goal ratio. Pick which annoys you less.

Have you played a season, and does it result in your players getting absolutely no accolades even if you go undefeated?

I’m winning pretty consistently on legendary, and I think I could grab a Coleman and a flag, but if all my mids and young players go backwards because they only get five touches a game I’ll be a bit annoyed.

Have you played a season, and does it result in your players getting absolutely no accolades even if you go undefeated?

I’m winning pretty consistently on legendary, and I think I could grab a Coleman and a flag, but if all my mids and young players go backwards because they only get five touches a game I’ll be a bit annoyed.

Sorry haven’t got that far in

(Log in to remove this ad.)

but if all my mids and young players go backwards because they only get five touches a game I’ll be a bit annoyed.
backwards as in drop from an 80 to a 78? don’t think I’ve seen that, just means that more often then not it just takes an extra week or two to upgrade them

Yeah the rate of soccers in the game is way too high. If it's within 15m of either goal no attacking AI player ever bothers to pick it up. If I'm in a footrace back to the AI's goal I don't even bother any more because even if I slightly beat him to the ball the soccer seems to take precedence.

So handball accuracy is better but what about players running for the handball receive?

Do they run into smarter positions now or do they all still run into traffic?
Haven't played since the patch but would be interested to know this too. Nothing more frustrating than doing all the hard work drawing players, etc and getting your free man only to have him sprint towards the opponent he just created space from as soon as you press handball.

Haven't played since the patch but would be interested to know this too. Nothing more frustrating than doing all the hard work drawing players, etc and getting your free man only to have him sprint towards the opponent he just created space from as soon as you press handball.
It’s much better. Multi chain handballs genuinely create overlaps and find free men for shots on goal.

Updated the patch and its a much better game - its rapidly approaching the finished product in my view. Played last night with the new behind the goal view looking towards the forward line and it worked quite well. Handball chains were much better than just going clearance kicks. Able to switch to space a lot easier, there are still a few annoying bugs but most in the last patch were fixed.

Was quite satisfying to handball to space from the back pocket, switch, and then hit a series of passes before laces out pass to a leading forward.

Hi all, is anyone able to answer my question about the AI always playing thru the middle of the ground and kicking 99% of their goals from directly in front?

Is this a constant issue that they never play along the boundary or wings? Or is it something that sliders can alter?

I really enjoyed AFL Live where the whole ground was utilised as it made the game more realistic and also not so repetitive/predictable. It's pretty much the only thing I've seen in gameplay videos that's holding me back from buying this one.

Thanks!

Here’s my settings for anyone interested. Having pretty epic games with them, with quite a variance (win some by 8 goals, had a draw, few close finishes, and a few big losses)

User
Kick Charge Speed 67
-
Close 38
Mid 35
Long 30
On The Run 67
(Still mucking around with these - turns out they only control on the run shots)

-
Boost 50
Fumbles 48
Spoiling 50
Speccy 50
-
Rucking 45
Run Speed 26
Handball Dist 40
Smothering 50
Endurance 58
Fatigue Rate 64
Fending 63
Tackle Eff 53
Kick Power 52 (I have individually altered Dees players kick power)
Tagging 0
-
Wind Impact 42 (I have wind indicator turned off)
Tackle Dist 35
Hip n Shoulder 50
Injury Freq 50
Injury Severity 50
-
No Prior Time 60
Throwing 46
High Tackle 40
Push in Back 40
Charging 42
Off the Ball 40
-
Ball Tapping 0
Stay on Man 0

CPU
Close 50
Mid 48
Long 44
Set Shot 41
On The Run 35
-
Boost 50
Fumbles 60
Spoiling 57
Speccy 50
-
Rucking 50
Run Speed 26
Handball Dist 40
Smothering 35 (means you can do more quick play on kicks from a mark without dodgy smothers)

Endurance 50 (AI manages endurance too smartly, so this keeps it “fair” I find)

Fatigue Rate 87 (same as above - these are the first ones to try slowly changing if you are winning or losing the ball too easily)

Fending 35 (no more shadow dancing untouchable oppo)

Tackle Eff 26 (more loose balls from a tackle)
Kick Power 50
Tagging 0
-
Tackle Dist 16 (no more go go gadget AI tackle arms)
Hip n Shoulder 31 (makes marking contests more enjoyable)
Injury Freq 50
Injury Severity 50
-
No Prior Time 50
Throwing 47
Holding the Ball 50
High Tackle 47
Push in Back 49
Charging 49
Off the Ball 63 (I believe this stops them doing early bumps in a marking contest = WINNING)
-
Play On 55
Tackle Reaction 59 (ie how fast AI “tap” Triangle/Y to tackle you)

Pressure Awareness 69 (if you are saying “god the ai is dumb at disposals under pressure/kicking OOTF/turnovers”, increase this. Increase too far and you end up playing super soldiers. This is one of the first things to increase as you get better/start winning too easily)

Tackler Avoidance 59 (remember this is how much they will ATTEMPT to run away - ie how ballsy they are.)
Ball Tapping 0
Stay on Man 0

———————

Difficulty: Legend
Interchange: Full Auto
Auto Bounce: Button Only (love this setting- means I can try and sprint the full 15m, and occasionally I do push it too far)
Kick Aim Assist: Off
———————
My preferred Camera:
(takes getting use to, but I much prefer it swap direction for who has the ball. Only thing you need to master is the kicking directional is tied to camera direction. So as it pans, you have to be aware the left stick position needs to change to hit the same target. But no other camera lets me see as many options, and anticipate and make marking contests in both directions.)
End to end
Far
Look at Ball

*I’ve also gone and individually tweaked all known talls/good marks with 10-20% points increase, and also reduced smaller players marking ability by the same amount.

*Ruckmen and other big players have had their speed reduced by 20-30% (less for the freaks like franklin) Same for their sprint ability. this results in them struggling to make fast intercepts, but with increased marking ability, once they are at a contest, odds are in their favour against smaller oppo.

*as I only play as the Dees, I have lowered general kicking ability of all my teams plodgers, and increased spoiling abilities of key defenders/Jake Lever etc. Also reduced kicking distance for known weaker kicks (Spargo can’t kick it further than 30m in game and in real life), and a bit of a distance boost for those who can kick a 60m bomb.

Last edited:
Here’s my settings for anyone interested. Having pretty epic games with them, with quite a variance (win some by 8 goals, had a draw, few close finishes, and a few big losses)

User
Kick Charge Speed 67
-
Close 38
Mid 35
Long 30
On The Run 67
(Still mucking around with these - turns out they only control on the run shots)

-
Boost 50
Fumbles 48
Spoiling 50
Speccy 50
-
Rucking 45
Run Speed 26
Handball Dist 40
Smothering 50
Endurance 58
Fatigue Rate 64
Fending 63
Tackle Eff 53
Kick Power 52 (I have individually altered Dees players kick power)
Tagging 0
-
Wind Impact 42 (I have wind indicator turned off)
Tackle Dist 35
Hip n Shoulder 50
Injury Freq 50
Injury Severity 50
-
No Prior Time 60
Throwing 46
High Tackle 40
Push in Back 40
Charging 42
Off the Ball 40
-
Ball Tapping 0
Stay on Man 0

CPU
Close 50
Mid 48
Long 44
Set Shot 41
On The Run 35
-
Boost 50
Fumbles 60
Spoiling 57
Speccy 50
-
Rucking 50
Run Speed 26
Handball Dist 40
Smothering 35 (means you can do more quick play on kicks from a mark without dodgy smothers)

Endurance 50 (AI manages endurance too smartly, so this keeps it “fair” I find)

Fatigue Rate 87 (same as above - these are the first ones to try slowly changing if you are winning or losing the ball too easily)

Fending 35 (no more shadow dancing untouchable oppo)

Tackle Eff 26 (more loose balls from a tackle)
Kick Power 50
Tagging 0
-
Tackle Dist 16 (no more go go gadget AI tackle arms)
Hip n Shoulder 31 (makes marking contests more enjoyable)
Injury Freq 50
Injury Severity 50
-
No Prior Time 50
Throwing 47
Holding the Ball 50
High Tackle 47
Push in Back 49
Charging 49
Off the Ball 63 (I believe this stops them doing early bumps in a marking contest = WINNING)
-
Play On 55
Tackle Reaction 59 (ie how fast AI “tap” Triangle/Y to tackle you)

Pressure Awareness 69 (if you are saying “god the ai is dumb at disposals under pressure/kicking OOTF/turnovers”, increase this. Increase too far and you end up playing super soldiers. This is one of the first things to increase as you get better/start winning too easily)

Tackler Avoidance 59 (remember this is how much they will ATTEMPT to run away - ie how ballsy they are.)
Ball Tapping 0
Stay on Man 0

———————

Difficulty: Legend
Interchange: Full Auto
Auto Bounce: Button Only (love this setting- means I can try and sprint the full 15m, and occasionally I do push it too far)
Kick Aim Assist: Off
———————
My preferred Camera:
(takes getting use to, but I much prefer it swap direction for who has the ball. Only thing you need to master is the kicking directional is tied to camera direction. So as it pans, you have to be aware the left stick position needs to change to hit the same target. But no other camera lets me see as many options, and anticipate and make marking contests in both directions.)
End to end
Far
Look at Ball

*I’ve also gone and individually tweaked all known talls/good marks with 10-20% points increase, and also reduced smaller players marking ability by the same amount.

*Ruckmen and other big players have had their speed reduced by 20-30% (less for the freaks like franklin) Same for their sprint ability. this results in them struggling to make fast intercepts, but with increased marking ability, once they are at a contest, odds are in their favour against smaller oppo.

*as I only play as the Dees, I have lowered general kicking ability of all my teams plodgers, and increased spoiling abilities of key defenders/Jake Lever etc. Also reduced kicking distance for known weaker kicks (Spargo can’t kick it further than 30m in game and in real life), and a bit of a distance boost for those who can kick a 60m bomb.
Awesome stuff mate!
Out of curiosity what kick power have you got your players at?
After playing around with it I've got the biggest kicks in my team to a max of 75 and the smaller guys with short kicks around 55-60. Seems to make it a bit harder with set shots as not everyone can kick it from 50m+.

Awesome stuff mate!
Out of curiosity what kick power have you got your players at?
After playing around with it I've got the biggest kicks in my team to a max of 75 and the smaller guys with short kicks around 55-60. Seems to make it a bit harder with set shots as not everyone can kick it from 50m+.
It doesn’t really matter. As long as you have a fair spread (like maybe shorter kicks at 20 percentage points less), then you can just adjust the settings slider for kicking distance.

I actually really enjoy seeing who I’ve hit up and realising it’s someone who can’t kick it 55m. Means I have that age old dilemma of either kicking to a target, or just top of the square it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back