Multiplat AFL Evolution 2 - pre-launch thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
You'd suggest they'd want it out a month before finals to give them 8 weeks of prime selling time. That is 6 weeks away, and no release date.

I'm betting this is delayed until next year.

Surely around pre-season/just before round 1 would be the best time? Optimism in the air, everyone excited to get stuck into another season etc.

You'd suggest they'd want it out a month before finals to give them 8 weeks of prime selling time. That is 6 weeks away, and no release date.

I'm betting this is delayed until next year.

AFL Live 2 was released 13/9, Week 2 of the AFL Finals that year. Literally had 2 weeks of the season remaining when they pushed it out haha So who knows. Might be a Boxing Day release for all we know

Aug 24, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
They really should release this soon (which seems very unlikely) or hold it until preseason next year. I'm happy to wait for a more polished bug free game at the start of an AFL season. Nothing worse than starting a career 1 week before the grand final IRL and then having the game stats immediately out of date. Surely they can get on a schedule to release prior to the season. That way player rating etc can be updated throughout the year to reflect what is occurring at the time.

G Mus

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Juventus
They really should release this soon (which seems very unlikely) or hold it until preseason next year. I'm happy to wait for a more polished bug free game at the start of an AFL season. Nothing worse than starting a career 1 week before the grand final IRL and then having the game stats immediately out of date. Surely they can get on a schedule to release prior to the season. That way player rating etc can be updated throughout the year to reflect what is occurring at the time.
If it comes out soon it competes with madden 2k and then fifa so it’s either now or next year really

Saw someone post a screenshot where they inboxed that Dan guy (pretty sure he's the fella that runs the Wicked Witch account on here too) asking if it was coming out this year and he said as far as he knows yes it was, or something along those lines. Wasn't a firm yes or anything. So who really knows anymore. Maybe they do hold off until next year. Not sure if that means they will be able to work on it more anyway, as I'm sure they'd have milked as much of the budget as possible and another 5-6 months and extra work probably won't be feasible

SirBont

All Australian
Apr 2, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Saw someone post a screenshot where they inboxed that Dan guy (pretty sure he's the fella that runs the Wicked Witch account on here too) asking if it was coming out this year and he said as far as he knows yes it was, or something along those lines. Wasn't a firm yes or anything. So who really knows anymore. Maybe they do hold off until next year. Not sure if that means they will be able to work on it more anyway, as I'm sure they'd have milked as much of the budget as possible and another 5-6 months and extra work probably won't be feasible
yeh it was a bit of a silly Answer tbh considering his the bloody ceo lol

berisha

Club Legend
Mar 22, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Burnley, San Jose Sharks
I dealt with the CEO of Wicked Witch when it came to AFL Evo and from my dealings it was obvious that the AFL had the final say and controlled pretty much everything (I had to go via the AFL for a number of media requests). I honestly can't see them holding it back until next year (even though they should). I'm guessing that it'll launch around finals time. I have an article going up this week about AFL Evo 2 and 'things I'd like to see', something I wrote for a bit of fun. Will share link when it goes live.

I dealt with the CEO of Wicked Witch when it came to AFL Evo and from my dealings it was obvious that the AFL had the final say and controlled pretty much everything (I had to go via the AFL for a number of media requests). I honestly can't see them holding it back until next year (even though they should). I'm guessing that it'll launch around finals time. I have an article going up this week about AFL Evo 2 and 'things I'd like to see', something I wrote for a bit of fun. Will share link when it goes live.

Worst thing for Wicked Witch is that if it is the AFL holding it back, it's W.W who are currently, and will, cop all the negative press and feedback about it. AFL probably trying to push for a finals release to pump up the finals a bit more. If so, we should surely be hearing something sooner rather later.

Archer_11

Premiership Player
Apr 28, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Showing my wrinkles here but AFL 99 for PC was released in November I believe. I remember my double take like it was yesterday. Just walking along and there it was, sitting on a shelf in a computer store, not one word of advertising.

I would be very surprised if the AFL thought September was too late. Not with a few extra dollars being on the table to fix a few bugs and update the team lists with a 'gold' (i.e. properly finished) version the following year.

My AFL Evolution 2 piece is live if anyone wants to give it a read and give their thoughts:

"AFL Evolution’s gameplay was about as easy to control as the loosest bloke on the end of season footy trip "

Kudos my friend. Good article. Game-play is certainly the key for me, and fixing all the crashing bugs. I like the piece that you mentioned about being able to scout players etc. The draft pool in manager mode is atrocious and needs to be fixed, so those sorts of things would be great.

Launching this around finals time would be the worst possible move for the game IMO as it will be competing against other established, global sporting titles like NBA2K20 and FIFA20.

Launching it at the start of the footy season makes the most sense once the excitment of those other 2 games drops off.

GetAroundHim99

The World's Biggest Overreactor!
Apr 29, 2012
Geelong
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Denver Broncos, Melbourne Storm, McLaren
Jesus Christ, I just played a game of AFL Premiership 2005 on Xbox and Oh Christ, We have come a long way from that. Like, Oh god. At least AFL Evolution can give me a contest. I slaughtered Brisbane in Premiership 2005 80 to 9, on default settings.

Like, As much as we give Evo crap. It's still one of the better attempts at our game in Video Game form. That being said, I do hope Evolution 2 is an improvement on the first one. We need to start evolving our games a bit more.

Also, I'm wondering when this game is coming out. The last 3 times an AFL game came out in September were AFL Premiership 2005, AFL Challenge and AFL Live 2. That's a worse track record than Collingwood's Grand Final Track Record.... For the sake of not jinxing themselves, Either release it in August or next season.

GetAroundHim99

The World's Biggest Overreactor!
Apr 29, 2012
Geelong
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Denver Broncos, Melbourne Storm, McLaren
I liked 2005.

Mostly nostalgia I’m guessing though.
I would guess so. My nostalgic AFL game is AFL Live Premiership Edition and that actually plays better than Premiership 2005. I tried it right after I had a game of Premiership 2005 (I bought a lot of Xbox games and have been testing them out today and those two games were a part of it) and I had a better time with PE.

Apr 10, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
AFC Wimbledon
Mine is EA's AFL 99 👴

Dec 8, 2006
WA
AFL Club
West Coast

Running through blokes with the dedicated shirtfront button and not giving away a free kick was so satisfying. It's the AFL game I have the fondest memories of too, mainly because of that :moustache:

Favourite all-time moment in an AFL game though was coming from a fair way back to beat Carlton on the hardest difficulty in AFL Live with a kick after the siren (from a dodgy free kick too!), which ensured I was still on track for the "beat every team at least once in a single season" achievement (which I went on to earn along with the Premiership).

GoldbergsGold

Premiership Player
Sep 30, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast

But do they control the gameplay mechanics? Is the AFL telling them they need terrible physics, a bad marking system and one on one only AI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back