AFL Evolution - Out May 5 - (Cont in LAUNCH THREAD - link in OP)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I was actually at the club (North) on Thursday afternoon when the WW guys brought in the game for the players, and had the chance to play it briefly and observe a few matches.

I was pretty stoked so I wasn't exactly taking notes but just some quick thoughts:

Liked:
Controls & gameplay felt fluid (my biggest fear has been allayed)
Players sometimes drop marks (not really groundbreaking stuff but I also liked the fact that speckies aren't automatically marked like in some previous games)
Ability to choose to mark or spoil the ball in a contest
Didn't get to play around with tactics but players seemed to run and create space for overlap which felt pretty realistic
Commentary had a few classic moments
I think I saw a player fumble at one stage?

Disliked:
Tom Boyd kicked 5 goals straight.. 0/10 unrealistic
Feels similar to older AFL games (I know it's not easy to build a completely unique game but I was expecting a little more)
Some of the players that weren't scanned are way off
The wind didn't seem to affect set shot kicking much
It is so ******* easy to give away 50m penalties accidentally
The AI missed some absolute sitters, hopefully it was just a difficulty thing
The grass texture looked a little weird but not a big deal

Overall the gameplay seems to be pretty decent, controls very similar to the old AFL live games but is more nuanced.
There was also a Free Roam mode I saw in the menu which apparently is a kick to kick type training but didn't get to see it.

Sorry I don't really have more details but I was there for a completely unrelated reason and it took me by surprise. I saw enough of the gameplay to be convinced that it's not terrible though and I had fun playing it so i'll definitely be getting it once it's out on PC!

So I was actually at the club (North) on Thursday afternoon when the WW guys brought in the game for the players, and had the chance to play it briefly and observe a few matches.

I was pretty stoked so I wasn't exactly taking notes but just some quick thoughts:

Liked:
Players sometimes drop marks (not really groundbreaking stuff but I also liked the fact that speckies aren't automatically marked like in some previous games)
Didn't get to play around with tactics but players seemed to run and create space for overlap which felt pretty realistic

Disliked:
Feels similar to older AFL games (I know it's not easy to build a completely unique game but I was expecting a little more)

Overall the gameplay seems to be pretty decent, controls very similar to the old AFL live games but is more nuanced.
There was also a Free Roam mode I saw in the menu which apparently is a kick to kick type training but didn't get to see it.

Sorry I don't really have more details but I was there for a completely unrelated reason and it took me by surprise. I saw enough of the gameplay to be convinced that it's not terrible though and I had fun playing it so i'll definitely be getting it once it's out on PC!
From 5 kicks, playing at FF?

Thanks for the impressions DrZaius. Are you referring to AFL Live the Big Ant version (2011-2012), and if so do you have much experience with that particular AFL Live game?

If you played a lot of AFL Live 1 online for example, and still felt this was quite close in fluidity / AI / controls then that's a great sign for the new game.

Thanks for the impressions DrZaius. Are you referring to AFL Live the Big Ant version (2011-2012), and if so do you have much experience with that particular AFL Live game?

If you played a lot of AFL Live 1 online for example, and still felt this was quite close in fluidity / AI / controls then that's a great sign for the new game.

I'll admit I don't really have much experience with AFL Live (2011) & Live 2 and was more referring to the early 00's games but after a quick look at some gameplay footage on YT I can definitely see a lot of similarities to the recent games. From what I can tell it seems to play a lot like Live 1 with a few of the features from Live 2 (The way you kick set shots for example).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep it was a pleasant surprise to see Lindsay Thomas go up for a specky and drop it, or rather it would be pleasant if it wasn't so similar to real life :(

Could you shed any light on how things like grubber kicks or banana kicks work? Specifically, are they hard to execute or unrealistic?

Could you shed any light on how things like grubber kicks or banana kicks work? Specifically, are they hard to execute or unrealistic?
I was more trying to learn the basics but i'm pretty sure the WW guys said that you hold down the modifier (L2 I think it was) button to change kick type & mark/spoil. I didn't actually see anyone try a banana kick though so there may be other nuances to it.

Liked:

Disliked:

Were Full Forwards/CHF manned up by the defense? Live 2 they were all by themselves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back