AFL Evolution - Out May 5 - (Cont in LAUNCH THREAD - link in OP)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

As long as the gameplay is faster than Live 2 was and there's a lot more control with things like marking and tackling, I'm happy. Live 1 was the perfect tempo but a hell of a lot of tackles and probably not enough attribute-reflected gameplay.

So I was actually at the club (North) on Thursday afternoon when the WW guys brought in the game for the players, and had the chance to play it briefly and observe a few matches.

I was pretty stoked so I wasn't exactly taking notes but just some quick thoughts:

Liked:
Controls & gameplay felt fluid (my biggest fear has been allayed)
Players sometimes drop marks (not really groundbreaking stuff but I also liked the fact that speckies aren't automatically marked like in some previous games)
Ability to choose to mark or spoil the ball in a contest
Didn't get to play around with tactics but players seemed to run and create space for overlap which felt pretty realistic
Commentary had a few classic moments
I think I saw a player fumble at one stage?

Disliked:
Tom Boyd kicked 5 goals straight.. 0/10 unrealistic
Feels similar to older AFL games (I know it's not easy to build a completely unique game but I was expecting a little more)
Some of the players that weren't scanned are way off
The wind didn't seem to affect set shot kicking much
It is so ******* easy to give away 50m penalties accidentally
The AI missed some absolute sitters, hopefully it was just a difficulty thing
The grass texture looked a little weird but not a big deal

Overall the gameplay seems to be pretty decent, controls very similar to the old AFL live games but is more nuanced.
There was also a Free Roam mode I saw in the menu which apparently is a kick to kick type training but didn't get to see it.

Sorry I don't really have more details but I was there for a completely unrelated reason and it took me by surprise. I saw enough of the gameplay to be convinced that it's not terrible though and I had fun playing it so i'll definitely be getting it once it's out on PC!
This all sounds really good

Love the dropped marks and fumbling. WW did the ground game quite well in Live 2 (or as good as those animations allowed) so it's good to see they've continued that for Evolution

I like that it's easy to give away 50s, I always hated Live 1s "forcefield" protecting the mark and felt it was best when you turned it off and had to be accountable for getting your player on the mark

Why havent we got any gameplay video yet, are WW that worried about people hating the game so much that they dont want to show it off, strange marketing ploy if you ask me. How can they expect people to want to buy it if they cant even see it before hand.

Why havent we got any gameplay video yet, are WW that worried about people hating the game so much that they dont want to show it off, strange marketing ploy if you ask me. How can they expect people to want to buy it if they cant even see it before hand.

Not that I agree with their methods, but in a sense it is a very smart move to not show gameplay. Now everyone is anxious, but nobody is going to not buy it now, if anything it might help inflate sales for a week or so.

Not that I agree with their methods, but in a sense it is a very smart move to not show gameplay. Now everyone is anxious, but nobody is going to not buy it now, if anything it might help inflate sales for a week or so.

People will want to see it before they buy, trust me, ww dont have a good record with AFL games and a lot of people were pissed at AFL Live 2

People will want to see it before they buy, trust me, ww dont have a good record with AFL games and a lot of people were pissed at AFL Live 2

Thats true, BUT it is a new AFL game on a current-gen console, everyone on here is going to buy it regardless if they see gameplay or not. Curiosity strikes. But yeah fingers crossed its good!

Thats true, BUT it is a new AFL game on a current-gen console, everyone on here is going to buy it regardless if they see gameplay or not. Curiosity strikes. But yeah fingers crossed its good!

A current gen game on a console that not everyone owns, thats the big thing here, people wont rush out and buy a console just to play the game based on current info so it better be the best thing since sliced bread, fingers toes and legs crossed that its great!

Why havent we got any gameplay video yet, are WW that worried about people hating the game so much that they dont want to show it off.

That will be TruBlu's call not WW's

I'm sure the people who have put in months and months doing the hard work would love to show it.

And this seems to be an increasing trend.
Bethesda aren't giving out review copies anymore until release day.
We barely saw anything on the latest Doom game until release and it was great!

That will be TruBlu's call not WW's

I'm sure the people who have put in months and months doing the hard work would love to show it.

And this seems to be an increasing trend.
Bethesda aren't giving out review copies anymore until release day.
We barely saw anything on the latest Doom game until release and it was great!

Big difference between Bethesda and Wicked Witch, even if Bethesda didnt release anything at least millions of people will still know the game exists, Wicked Witch dont have that luxury and will rely on advertising and word of mouth to sell copies. I reckon my dog knew that Doom was coming out before i did considering the amount of talk there was about it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wicked Witch dont have that luxury and will rely on advertising and word of mouth to sell copies.

I agree and that's precisely why we've seen no gameplay vision.
A niche sport, one that has a poor legacy in gaming. We've seen the Facebook reaction to the trailer.
It harms sales.
They are better off with holding the gameplay and let the word of mouth do the selling, If they believe the game is reasonable.

It's when devs and producers know it's shite and do it to ensure they get a few sales in before the word gets out that rankles people.

But I think we are essentially in agreement

Everyone in this thread?

In general, most would wait. A handful will buy and review it and upload that to YouTube, so gameplay will be shown soon and not in WW or TruBlu's control.

The reviewers could say whatever they want or show whatever which can influence sales.

So we're not actually believing that this guy actually played the game, right?
I'm 50/50 on it. Don't know why he'd bother lying, but you'd also think that he would have been told to not talk about it.

So I was actually at the club (North) on Thursday afternoon when the WW guys brought in the game for the players, and had the chance to play it briefly and observe a few matches.

I was pretty stoked so I wasn't exactly taking notes but just some quick thoughts:

Liked:
Controls & gameplay felt fluid (my biggest fear has been allayed)
Players sometimes drop marks (not really groundbreaking stuff but I also liked the fact that speckies aren't automatically marked like in some previous games)
Ability to choose to mark or spoil the ball in a contest
Didn't get to play around with tactics but players seemed to run and create space for overlap which felt pretty realistic
Commentary had a few classic moments
I think I saw a player fumble at one stage?

Disliked:
Tom Boyd kicked 5 goals straight.. 0/10 unrealistic
Feels similar to older AFL games (I know it's not easy to build a completely unique game but I was expecting a little more)
Some of the players that weren't scanned are way off
The wind didn't seem to affect set shot kicking much
It is so ******* easy to give away 50m penalties accidentally
The AI missed some absolute sitters, hopefully it was just a difficulty thing
The grass texture looked a little weird but not a big deal

Overall the gameplay seems to be pretty decent, controls very similar to the old AFL live games but is more nuanced.
There was also a Free Roam mode I saw in the menu which apparently is a kick to kick type training but didn't get to see it.

Sorry I don't really have more details but I was there for a completely unrelated reason and it took me by surprise. I saw enough of the gameplay to be convinced that it's not terrible though and I had fun playing it so i'll definitely be getting it once it's out on PC!

I'm a bit concerned to hear "it plays like older AFL games". That was actually my biggest fear that it'd just another IR Gurus type of game. Did you feel like you could take off quickly once you took a mark?

I'm 50/50 on it. Don't know why he'd bother lying, but you'd also think that he would have been told to not talk about it.

I was going to keep it to myself but the last few pages have just been a s**t fight over stats so I thought I would share my thoughts.
Given that it's only 2 weeks until it comes out they didn't really seem concerned about that, and there were players & staff wandering in and out of the room constantly so would've been difficult to enforce.

I'm a bit concerned to hear "it plays like older AFL games". That was actually my biggest fear that it'd just another IR Gurus type of game. Did you feel like you could take off quickly once you took a mark?

Yeah you can play on almost immediately after the mark animation is finished. It doesn't feel unrealistic though if you know what I mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back