AFL Evolution - Out May 5 - (Cont in LAUNCH THREAD - link in OP)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Can I just say, gameplay played so smoothly. The running of the players seemed so much more realistic and faster and not as robotic as previous games. If the rest of the gameplay looks as refreshing as that does, than oh man I'm pumped for this game.

Looks surprisingly good. Didn't see anything that would be a red flag.

Watching how the players move off the ball is super promising. Looks like there's heaps of space around the ground and players seem to move naturally.

Animations look worlds smoother than previous games as well. Notable difference for sure.

Pretty excited for this now.

From that little clip, there seems to be a fair bit of promise. As above, the part where Shaw was able to turn around on the HBF, weave around players and then centre the ball looked really good, and indicates gameplay is much less of the usual "kick, mark, kick, mark, goal".

The animations are also significantly better than previous outings - they physics don't seem too "light" or too "clunky". It still isn't perfect and there are some slight robotic moments, but it's a very, very good effort considering what was at their disposal.

Lastly, I have some concern about the set shot mechanics - it seems too easy, in my opinion, if it's simply "pull back stick to power up, push forward to kick". Back when AFL Live 2 was in the making, I floated an idea whereby pushing forward on the left stick controls the run up, and then the right stick functions in a similar way (pull back to charge it up, push forward to kick). This adds another layer of complexity so that it isn't a simple "meter charge" mechanic, since you would need to not only time your kick correctly in the meter, but also with respect to kicking it at the right point in your run up (too early and you won't have enough momentum/be kicking unnecessarily long, or too late and you may kick into the man on the mark). I very much fear that, if the mechanic is too simple, then it will be mastered within a week.

Having said all that, this was an extremely small sample size, so the positives could become negatives, or vice versa.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did look good.
Loved the pace, the space.
Fluidity. Animations so far ahead of anything before it AFL wise.
Very small snippet but looks pretty promising.

Looks surprisingly good. Didn't see anything that would be a red flag.

Watching how the players move off the ball is super promising. Looks like there's heaps of space around the ground and players seem to move naturally.

Animations look worlds smoother than previous games as well. Notable difference for sure.

Pretty excited for this now.
Definitely noticed the spacing compared to previous AFL games, looks like it won't be a handball fest.

Very very keen.

Definitely noticed the spacing compared to previous AFL games, looks like it won't be a handball fest.

Very very keen.

I'm scared they selectively edited things but if that video is representative of the final game than Wicked Witch may have actually put out a really solid AFL game.

Crazy to think they could actually pull this off

As others have said, the speed and lack of congestion looks fantastic. The play where he ran around a few then centred the ball was droolworthy.

Footy games should play the way our game *should* be played in real life, not play as if the developers have only ever seen Ross Lyon-coached teams.

It's promising.

I'm scared they selectively edited things but if that video is representative of the final game than Wicked Witch may have actually put out a really solid AFL game.

Crazy to think they could actually pull this off
I'm skeptical as well but I can't find anything to fault so far.

I'm also liking that they are using the analog sticks for goal kicking, actually making it skill based by how straight you can flick backwards and forwards while judging for things like wind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back