AFL Evolution Realism Thread (Sliders, Coaching Tactics, etc)

Remove this Banner Ad

Post them in here.

This has been done over at OperationSports for quite a while to make games like 2K17, FIFA and Madden more realistic, so I figured we could test our hand at it here by tweaking the settings, sliders and coaching tactics of each side to make it as realistic as possible and create a better gameplay experience.

I don't have the game just yet but I think that this is a major part of the game that could be improved.

Hopefully we can come together & create a set of sliders and tactics that provide not only realistic statistics and a better feel of gameplay but also how individual teams play (Fremantle lock down, WB handball chains and quick ball movement, GWS running power, etc)

I don't think there are game sliders :( Not that I could find anyway
I'm pretty sure they mentioned something about altering the sliders. If not, coaching tactics would be the next best thing.

I remember finding a good sweet spot league wide for tactics across the league for AFL 1, hoping for something similar here.

Last edited:

H
Maybe we can get a few who support their own teams to have a play around with it to see which settings play best?
Good idea in theroy but no real options to make drastic team characteristic playing styles from what I can see just direction of attack or how defensive or attacking players in a position are not sure if you can set these for a teams profile. Great idea maybe something the nectar game developers could take into consideration

H

Good idea in theroy but no real options to make drastic team characteristic playing styles from what I can see just direction of attack or how defensive or attacking players in a position are not sure if you can set these for a teams profile. Great idea maybe something the nectar game developers could take into consideration

I'm I Missing something? You HAVE to able to change or ADJUST team tactics on the fly. REALLY? Pressing the pause button and selecting your tactics while buddy's sitting next to you on the couch? Thats like playing poker with all your cards facing up ! WTF......is the D-PAD assigned to anything? Could be simple as, press up/dowm to change Kick Out. Left/right to change Ball Movment. Left and right bumpers to bring up menus for position tactics....clicking left stick would be very natural for player lock. I haven't watch much AFL....but no matter what the team sport, it's all about the adjustments, force oppents to make mistakes, take away TIME & SPACE.

Ok I'm Canadian (sorry) and I'm not talking about baseball.......I played hockey since I was 4. Note sure if Baseball is big in your country, but cricket.... maybe. To me, baseball is a combination of cricket and loitering.

In game, on the fly team tactics is what AFL Evolution is missing. Also, if you could toggle the camera view. Say if you were kicking out, have a button to switch to far view. Like in Madden so you can "read" what the defence is doing. Then be able to toggle it back to mid view.

If there is a way to adjust tactics without pausing...please let me know.

Gretzky

I'm I Missing something? You HAVE to able to change or ADJUST team tactics on the fly. REALLY? Pressing the pause button and selecting your tactics while buddy's sitting next to you on the couch? Thats like playing poker with all your cards facing up ! WTF......is the D-PAD assigned to anything? Could be simple as, press up/dowm to change Kick Out. Left/right to change Ball Movment. Left and right bumpers to bring up menus for position tactics....clicking left stick would be very natural for player lock. I haven't watch much AFL....but no matter what the team sport, it's all about the adjustments, force oppents to make mistakes, take away TIME & SPACE.

Ok I'm Canadian (sorry) and I'm not talking about baseball.......I played hockey since I was 4. Note sure if Baseball is big in your country, but cricket.... maybe. To me, baseball is a combination of cricket and loitering.

In game, on the fly team tactics is what AFL Evolution is missing. Also, if you could toggle the camera view. Say if you were kicking out, have a button to switch to far view. Like in Madden so you can "read" what the defence is doing. Then be able to toggle it back to mid view.

Gretzky
Not that I know of but great point!! Like in nba2k games call plays on the fly. I don't think that has been suggested yet!

I was more referring to opposition teams playing to a pre determined characteristic style would be nice but at this stage would settle for players playing in true positions

Not that I know of but great point!! Like in nba2k games call plays on the fly. I don't think that has been suggested yet!

I was more referring to opposition teams playing to a pre determined characteristic style would be nice but at this stage would settle for players playing in true positions

Gretzky

It's pretty simple to be honest...

Just go into settings and change each slider to balanced or zone, press...whatever suits your style..

exactly the same as in NBA2K, where you can change the sliders of skill sets...

simple stuff...

I've been playing around with the sliders a bit and i think i've made a pretty good game of it. All games is extremely close (playing on very hard. can up it to legend if you want) of the last 3 games i have played ive won 2 by 10 points and under and lost 1 by 1 point, ill post a video of the gameplay when i get home and ill post my settings

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am no AFL expert (Irish guy), but in trying to make the game play a bit more realistic I have found that turning the dropped marks/mark error slider (can't remember what it i called) way up to the 80s and 90s helps with making more balls go to ground, like in real life. Hate the way almost everything gets marked on the default settings. If you put it too high they drop simple catches, but around that level it seems close to a good balance.

WW has posted what each slider does in detail on the steam forums http://steamcommunity.com/app/435020/discussions/0/1470840994958188159/#c1470841715947376790

USER

Kick Charge Speed - Controls how fast the kick power bar fills up.

Goal Kicking:
Close Range Accuracy - Controls how accurate players are at kicking for goal when close to the goals
Mid Range Accuracy - Controls how accurate players are at kicking for goal when at mid range from the goals
Long Range Accuracy - Controls how accurate players are at kicking for goal when at long range from the goals
On The Run Accuracy - Controls how accurate players are at kicking for goal while not taking a set shot.

Marks:
Mark Component (Timing) - Affects the importance of timing when deciding a mark contest winner.
Mark Component (Position) - Affects the importance of player positioning when deciding a mark contest winner.
Mark Component (Attribute) - Affects the importance of player attributes when deciding a mark contest winner.
Special note on mark components - The winner of the mark contest is determined by the addition of the three mark contest values.
For example if position is set to 30% and attribute is set to 70%, the winner of the mark contest will be determined by the
player with better position or attributes but the player with the better attributes will be much more heavily favoured.
Timing (set to 0%) will no longer have any affect on the winner.
(If these values add up to over 100% the relative ratio is based off the proportion i.e. if the 3 values are all 50%, they are 50/150, so all values are treated as 1/3 (33.3%)

Marking - Controls the chance of winning a contested mark. Relative to the value of same name in CPU.

Attributes:
Rucking - Controls the chance of winning a ruck contest. Relative to the value of same name in CPU.
Run Speed - Controls the speed players will run at.
Handball Distance - Controls the distance players can handball.
Spoiling - Controls the chance of successfully spoiling a contested mark. Competes against marking/spoiling in CPU.
Smothering - Controls the chance of smothering the ball and increases the smother distance.
Specky Rate - Allows speckies from better or worse positions.
Endurance - Controls the rate of energy loss for players.
Fending - Controls the chance of a fend being successfully executed and players automatically fending.
Tackle Effectiveness - Controls the chance of bound tackles.
Kick Power - Controls the distance players can kick the ball.
Tagging - Controls how closely players will tag their direct opponents.

General:
Wind Impact - Controls the speed of the wind.
Tackle Distance - Controls the distance players can execute tackles from.
Hip And Shoulder Distance - Controls the distance players can execute hip and shoulders from.
Mark Fumbles - Controls the chance of a player fumbling the ball when attempting to mark it.
Fatigue Rate - Controls the rate at which players lose stamina over the course of the match.
Injury Frequency - Controls the chance of players being injured.
Injury Severity - Controls the number of weeks players will be injured for.

Umpiring:
Throwing The Ball - Controls the umpire strictness when calling throwing the ball penalties.
High Tackle - Controls the umpire strictness when calling high tackle penalties.
Push In The Back - Controls the umpire strictness when calling push in the back penalties.
Charging - Controls the umpire strictness when calling charging penalties.
Off The Ball - Controls the distance at which the umpire will call off the ball penalties.

Ai Tendencies:
Ball Tapping - Controls the frequency at which AI players on a user team will tap the ball along the ground.
Stay On Man - Controls how likely AI players on user team will be to stay on their man rather than moving to tackle the ball carrier.

CPU

Goal Kicking:
Close Range Accuracy - Controls how accurate players are at kicking for goal when close to the goals
Mid Range Accuracy - Controls how accurate players are at kicking for goal when at mid range from the goals
Long Range Accuracy - Controls how accurate players are at kicking for goal when at long range from the goals
On The Run Accuracy - Controls how accurate players are at kicking for goal while not taking a set shot.

Marks:
Mark Component (Timing) - Affects the importance of timing when deciding a mark contest winner.
Mark Component (Position) - Affects the importance of player positioning when deciding a mark contest winner.
Mark Component (Attribute) - Affects the importance of player attributes when deciding a mark contest winner.
Special note on mark components - The winner of the mark contest is determined by the addition of the three mark contest values.
For example if position is set to 30% and attribute is set to 70%, the winner of the mark contest will be determined by the
player with better position or attributes but the player with the better attributes will be much more heavily favoured.
Timing (set to 0%) will no longer have any affect on the winner.
(If these values add up to over 100% the relative ratio is based off the proportion i.e. if the 3 values are all 50%, they are 50/150, so all values are treated as 1/3 (33.3%)

Marking - Controls the chance of winning a contested mark. Relative to the value of same name in User.

Attributes:
Rucking - Controls the chance of winning a ruck contest. Relative to the value of same name in User.
Run Speed - Controls the speed players will run at.
Handball Distance - Controls the distance players can handball.
Spoiling - Controls the chance of successfully spoiling a contested mark. Competes against marking/spoiling in User.
Smothering - Controls the chance of smothering the ball and increases the smother distance.
Specky Rate - Allows speckies from better or worse positions.
Endurance - Controls the rate of energy loss for players.
Fending - Controls the chance of a fend being successfully executed and players automatically fending.
Tackle Effectiveness - Controls the chance of bound tackles.
Kick Power - Controls the distance players can kick the ball.
Tagging - Controls how closely players will tag their direct opponents.

General:
Tackle Distance - Controls the distance players can execute tackles from.
Hip And Shoulder Distance - Controls the distance players can execute hip and shoulders from.
Mark Fumbles - Controls the chance of a player fumbling the ball when attempting to mark it.
Fatigue Rate - Controls the rate at which players lose stamina over the course of the match.
Injury Frequency - Controls the chance of players being injured.
Injury Severity - Controls the number of weeks players will be injured for.

Umpiring:
Throwing The Ball - Controls the umpire strictness when calling throwing the ball penalties.
High Tackle - Controls the umpire strictness when calling high tackle penalties.
Push In The Back - Controls the umpire strictness when calling push in the back penalties.
Charging - Controls the umpire strictness when calling charging penalties.
Off The Ball - Controls the distance at which the umpire will call off the ball penalties.

Ai Tendencies:
Play On - Controls how risky the AI will be when attempting to play on from a mark.
Tackle Reaction - Controls how fast the AI on a CPU team will react and tackle the ball carrier.
Pressure Awareness - Controls how aware the AI ball carrier is of how soon they will be tackled. This influences their disposal decisions and timing of disposals.
Tackler Avoidance - Controls how much the AI ball carrier will attempt to run away from potential tacklers.
Ball Tapping - Controls the frequency at which AI players on a CPU team will tap the ball along the ground.
Stay On Man - Controls how likely AI players on CPU team will be to stay on their man rather than moving to tackle the ball carrier.

The new update has me booting this game up again.
Any established or recommended custom slider settings I should try?

I have been really enjoying this game lately with the patch and the sliders. I think I almost got it right or as close as it can be for this game.

I try to leave everything default as possible but I’ve found some have to be set, I’m still trying to find the sweet spot. So give these a try let me know what you think.

Changes I’ve made, if slider is not listed it’s default 50 or 40/45/15 for marks which I left on default. However feel free to give yourself a slight marking boost if too difficult 54/55 should be more than enough.

I play on Very Hard/Legend, most testing is on Very Hard
7.5 min quarters

user | cpu edits. Single number is both

Shooting:
Close 50
Mid 45
Long 40
OTR 40
Cpu set shot 45

Spoil: 55
Smother: 55
Fend: user55/60 | cpu 50/55
Tackle Effectiveness: 15
Tackle distance: 30
Hip and shoulder: 30
Mark fumbles: user 70 | cpu 90
Fatigue: 48
Tagging: user 55 | cpu 45. Can be default 50/50 depending on difficulty

No prior opp: User 55 | cpu 45
Holding the ball: Cpu only 55
Charging: 55
Off ball penalties: 60

Stay on man: 55 or 60 for both

Cpu only
Play on: 100
Tackle reaction: 15
Tackle awareness: 45
Tackle avoidance: 45

If you have sliders or suggestions please share thanks.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
I have been really enjoying this game lately with the patch and the sliders. I think I almost got it right or as close as it can be for this game.

I try to leave everything default as possible but I’ve found some have to be set, I’m still trying to find the sweet spot. So give these a try let me know what you think.

Changes I’ve made, if slider is not listed it’s default 50 or 40/45/15 for marks which I left on default. However feel free to give yourself a slight marking boost if too difficult 54/55 should be more than enough.

I play on Very Hard/Legend, most testing is on Very Hard
7.5 min quarters

user | cpu edits. Single number is both

Shooting:
Close 50
Mid 45
Long 40
OTR 40
Cpu set shot 45

Spoil: 55
Smother: 55
Fend: user55/60 | cpu 50/55
Tackle Effectiveness: 15
Tackle distance: 30
Hip and shoulder: 30
Mark fumbles: user 70 | cpu 90
Fatigue: 48
Tagging: user 55 | cpu 45. Can be default 50/50 depending on difficulty

No prior opp: User 55 | cpu 45
Holding the ball: Cpu only 55
Charging: 55
Off ball penalties: 60

Stay on man: 55 or 60 for both

Cpu only
Play on: 100
Tackle reaction: 15
Tackle awareness: 45
Tackle avoidance: 45

If you have sliders or suggestions please share thanks.

Enjoy!
Hey mate.

What do the stats end up looking like with these sliders?

Have you simmed AI v AI with them?

Hey mate.

What do the stats end up looking like with these sliders?

Have you simmed AI v AI with them?

The stats aren’t too bad. I’ll get some screens when I get a few more games in. Basically the scoring is good I’ve had 140+ points to as low as 38. The shot sliders are great you make some and you’ll miss some especially with the wind. The cpu will still hit some crazy shots but they get enough behinds 7-13 is common. Contested possession and uncontested usually has a good range. Marking is decent I beat them sometimes. The only thing I find that’s its always skewed and I can’t fix it yet, is the cpu will always dominate me in effective disposals and tackles. That’s why I dialed tackling way back it’s way to overpowered but they can still get up to 60 tackles where I’m usually in the 20-30 range

I haven’t tried any cpu v cpu but now I’m keen to have a look at that. I’ll get some in and see how it goes. I’m always tinkering I want it perfect as can be for this game.

The stats aren’t too bad. I’ll get some screens when I get a few more games in. Basically the scoring is good I’ve had 140+ points to as low as 38. The shot sliders are great you make some and you’ll miss some especially with the wind. The cpu will still hit some crazy shots but they get enough behinds 7-13 is common. Contested possession and uncontested usually has a good range. Marking is decent I beat them sometimes. The only thing I find that’s its always skewed and I can’t fix it yet, is the cpu will always dominate me in effective disposals and tackles. That’s why I dialed tackling way back it’s way to overpowered but they can still get up to 60 tackles where I’m usually in the 20-30 range

I haven’t tried any cpu v cpu but now I’m keen to have a look at that. I’ll get some in and see how it goes. I’m always tinkering I want it perfect as can be for this game.
Great stuff..would love to see the numbers when you get around to it.

I've been tinkering with it as well. I have mine bang on in terms of statistical output for an actual AFL game the only issue I have now is that the home side wins almost all the time, no matter who is playing. I've been told by WW they coded the game so the home side has a slight advantage but the simulations I'm doing that isn't the case at all. The home side is thrashing the away side most of the time. I'm playing on 10 min quarters so probably lowering quarter length should do it but then the rest of the stats are skewed.

Again though I'm interested to see how your numbers look with the shorter qtr lengths!

It was a good game, thankfully for their rubbish kicking I won but my tweaking ended up hurting more, they have the ball way more, granted some of it is my mistakes and rushing the play. I need my midfield more open I’m not getting enough disposals from them. Brayshaw and Jonesy only had 12 a piece. It’s just the cpu is always right there with the tackle I don’t have enough time then I end up hand passing a turnover

The having more contested vs uncontested is frustrating

View attachment 503694
Not bad mate. I like the scores. I think the only qtr length where you can get realistic numbers from is 10 minutes. I am going to try my set on 7.5min later today and see how it goes.

These are the averages from the 2017 season - maybe gives you an idea on what you can try and work towards;

PER GAME
Inside 50's
Range - 95-115
Average - 105

Disposals
Range - 720-810
Average - 765

Uncontested Possessions
Range - 340-580
Average - 455

Contested Possessions
Range - 245-375
Average - 305

Kicks -
Range - 390-450
Average - 420

Handballs
Range - 290-385
Average - 345

Clangers
Range - 95-115
Average - 105

Marks
Range - 165-210
Average - 185

Tackles
Range - 125-150
Average - 135

Free Kicks
Range - 35-40
Average - 38

Hit Outs
Range - 65-90
Average - 80

Goals
Range - 20-30
Average - 25

Behinds
Range - 20-25
Average - 25

Score
Range - 70-110 (Per Team)
Average - 90 (Per Team)
Range - 140-220 (Per Game)
Average - 180 (Per Game)

Not bad mate. I like the scores. I think the only qtr length where you can get realistic numbers from is 10 minutes. I am going to try my set on 7.5min later today and see how it goes.

These are the averages from the 2017 season - maybe gives you an idea on what you can try and work towards;

PER GAME
Inside 50's
Range - 95-115
Average - 105

Disposals
Range - 720-810
Average - 765

Uncontested Possessions
Range - 340-580
Average - 455

Contested Possessions
Range - 245-375
Average - 305

Kicks -
Range - 390-450
Average - 420

Handballs
Range - 290-385
Average - 345

Clangers
Range - 95-115
Average - 105

Marks
Range - 165-210
Average - 185

Tackles
Range - 125-150
Average - 135

Free Kicks
Range - 35-40
Average - 38

Hit Outs
Range - 65-90
Average - 80

Goals
Range - 20-30
Average - 25

Behinds
Range - 20-25
Average - 25

Score
Range - 70-110 (Per Team)
Average - 90 (Per Team)
Range - 140-220 (Per Game)
Average - 180 (Per Game)

Thanks, I’ll do my best but you’re right on 7.5 mins you won’t get proper stats but I was trying to get the scoring down more importantly. I was thinking going to 10 Mins but with my current settings I think the scores would be too high. I’ll have another go tomorrow, got a few more tweaks to try.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back