Rumour AFL expansion

Remove this Banner Ad

Lol how would you know. To use your own argument against you.

We will always have enough players. It's like water. It will fill as much as the container it sits in.

You have hundreds of players playing state league. Many others who turn away from the game when they don't get drafted.

There's more supply than demand.

There's issues with having more sides. A lack of players is not one.
Of course having lack of players in one reason. Probably the most important reason behind money. There will always be enough players. That is very funny. There will not always be enough good players until we get more playing from non footballing back grounds. That is the reason the ngv or whatever it’s called. Yes we get more from state leagues because the standard in the afl has dropped this the gap is closer. Even blind Freddy can see the 2009 saints side would beat every side now if they trained for today’s footy. Why? Because there are 2 more sides. It will get eroded more by another side or two. Maybe you don’t care about standard but many do. Pretty sure I’ve seen you post about the poor standard. Some will argue against themselves to try and win but they look in the mirror they really know what they think. We will always have enough players. That is hilarious

Yet the game is booming regardless of the standard of player. Which kills your argument that we don't have the players so it won't happen.

You literally destroyed your own argument. Within posts of each other.
The game is booming where? It’s going ok but hardly booming. It won’t boom when it becomes unwatchable. You literally made me laugh in your previous post about always having enough players. For a person who whinges about the standard you make some funny jokes. Now I love footy so I will still watch but there is a tipping point where if the standard does drop To much we will start losing supporters. More sides imo would reach the tipping point.

Last edited:
The game is booming where? It’s going ok but hardly booming. It won’t boom when it becomes unwatchable. You literally made me laugh in your previous post about always having enough players. For a person who whinges about the standard you make some funny jokes. Now I love footy so I will still watch but there is a tipping point where if the standard does drop To much we will start losing supporters. More sides imo would reach the tipping point.

The kids are all playing video games. :(

The thing is I don’t think we are any mess at all. I know these days people look for the worst than the better but I think footy is one of the best run big sports in the world. It’s just a pity there isn’t enough depth. Geelong behaviour was fine. He wanted to go home. We traded him. No idea why they need to pay more than they have to. Every club would do it. We would if we could. People take things as if clubs are personally attacking them.
Please there is no level playing field, there are so many special deals it’s laughable.

The great equaliser the draft is so compromised next year it’s a terrible situation and looks likely to get worse not better.

I’m not going over the jack Steven saga again but we were played, plain and simple.

Please there is no level playing field, there are so many special deals it’s laughable.

The great equaliser the draft is so compromised next year it’s a terrible situation and looks likely to get worse not better.

I’m not going over the jack Steven saga again but we were played, plain and simple.
Seems like most competitions to me. It’s just you know more about the afl. Bet if we were successful you wouldn’t care And we would have done the same as Geelong if we had the chance. Anyway it doesn’t matter. Hope he has a great year. Great person going through a lot. Seems much happier now except when his a newnes horse ran last 2 weeks ago

Seems like most competitions to me. It’s just you know more about the afl. Bet if we were successful you wouldn’t care And we would have done the same as Geelong if we had the chance. Anyway it doesn’t matter. Hope he has a great year. Great person going through a lot. Seems much happier now except when his a newnes horse ran last 2 weeks ago
i highly doubt we would have had Brett Ratten coming out in the media down playing a players worth publicly because of their mental health issues ... Chris Scott did exactly that ... the trade was fine we did the right thing by Jack and got him closer to home but in the lead up to the trade Geelong played a pretty disrespectful and ugly hand in getting the value of Jack to what it was . Geelong behaved like a bigfooty poster in the main trade board of bigfooty .. it was not very professional , but it worked for them

i highly doubt we would have had Brett Ratten coming out in the media down playing a players worth publicly because of their mental health issues ... Chris Scott did exactly that ... the trade was fine we did the right thing by Jack and got him closer to home but in the lead up to the trade Geelong played a pretty disrespectful and ugly hand in getting the value of Jack to what it was . Geelong behaved like a bigfooty poster in the main trade board of bigfooty .. it was not very professional , but it worked for them

Ok

Pluggs old cobb its a funny thing nostalgia .... players were always better in the good old days , the game was always more exciting blah blah blah ... '
fact is the standard really hasnt changed a heck of a lot the players are still highly talented and the fitness standards are hugely improved ... where the standard of the watchability of the game has been impacted is around the coaching and the tactics employed by teams , the other factor is the over officiating of the game and the ever growing grey area in the interpretations of the rules by the umpires (that comment is sure to get you triggered). Draft testing will show the standard of player is actually improving in a big way its the game style that gives the impression its on the decline ...
as for the AFL dropping to the point the jump from state comps to AFL being closer i think you are taking the glass half empty view of that .. the reason the gap is closing is the improvment in the state comps not the decline in the AFL, most state comp teams 10 years ago were light years away from what they are today in regards to player development and sports science and recovery procedures the state guys are now training almost to the point of AFL stars ...
but that doesnt suit your argument so without doubt you will dismiss it and say its just a WA chip on my shoulder

Pluggs old cobb its a funny thing nostalgia .... players were always better in the good old days , the game was always more exciting blah blah blah ... '
fact is the standard really hasnt changed a heck of a lot the players are still highly talented and the fitness standards are hugely improved ... where the standard of the watchability of the game has been impacted is around the coaching and the tactics employed by teams , the other factor is the over officiating of the game and the ever growing grey area in the interpretations of the rules by the umpires (that comment is sure to get you triggered). Draft testing will show the standard of player is actually improving in a big way its the game style that gives the impression its on the decline ...
as for the AFL dropping to the point the jump from state comps to AFL being closer i think you are taking the glass half empty view of that .. the reason the gap is closing is the improvment in the state comps not the decline in the AFL, most state comp teams 10 years ago were light years away from what they are today in regards to player development and sports science and recovery procedures the state guys are now training almost to the point of AFL stars ...
but that doesnt suit your argument so without doubt you will dismiss it and say its just a WA chip on my shoulder

When people compare todays football to football in the past, they're picking from the best of the best games. The 89 Grand Final is a big one that gets brought up. It would be more fair to compare the entire Round 7 in 1983, for example, to Round 7 in 2018. Not that you can tell a whole lot from the scores, but as time moves on, the dud games are forgotten and the cream of the crop stay in our minds. Comparing Doggies vs Essendon in 2019 to the 1970 Grand Final is stupid.

Anyway I kinda forget what else I was gonna say, but people tend to only remember the exciting games 70s and 80s but use that as the benchmark to compare modern football to.

No I watch and follow MLB and the NFL very closely in fact I’m watching a game right now and watch more of both than AFL.

Both competitions are very fair although money is a huge factor in MLB because they only have a soft cap.

Like most saints I’ll be happy for jack but have nothing but contempt for Geelong.

No I watch and follow MLB and the NFL very closely in fact I’m watching a game right now and watch more of both than AFL.

Both competitions are very fair although money is a huge factor in MLB because they only have a soft cap.

Like most saints I’ll be happy for jack but have nothing but contempt for Geelong.
Good to hear

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When people compare todays football to football in the past, they're picking from the best of the best games. The 89 Grand Final is a big one that gets brought up. It would be more fair to compare the entire Round 7 in 1983, for example, to Round 7 in 2018. Not that you can tell a whole lot from the scores, but as time moves on, the dud games are forgotten and the cream of the crop stay in our minds. Comparing Doggies vs Essendon in 2019 to the 1970 Grand Final is stupid.

Anyway I kinda forget what else I was gonna say, but people tend to only remember the exciting games 70s and 80s but use that as the benchmark to compare modern football to.
totally ... i remember one of the worst games of footy ever played when we took on Hawthorn possibly 2007??? where it was so bad that Luke Ball said to Sam Mitchell during the game that the game was woeful ...
as they say in South Park some people a addicted to the Memberberries
member-berries-sq__41362.1479844436.500.500.jpg

When have I ever whinged about the standard of the game overall. I've whinged about the saints. Not the standard.

T.v. ratings
Attendance
Membership

It's all higher than it was.

You're claiming the standard of player was better in 2009 yet every metric has gone up.

Which tells you everything you need to know about your theory that the expansion is not viable because the standard of player is not there.

T.v. ratings
Attendance
Membership

You're claiming the standard of player was better in 2009 yet every metric has gone up.

Which tells you everything you need to know about your theory that the expansion is not viable because the standard of player is not there.
funny how footy was better back when we were winning ...
i think Richmond fans dont have any complaints ...

from a fitness level the drafted kids today are much further advanced than yesteryear , to say players were better i think is a incorrect statment.. i dont think someone like GTrain would be as dominant today as he was in the early 2000's his game style doesnt suit the game today so to compare him to a Tom Lynch is apples and oranges

T.v. ratings
Attendance
Membership

Interesting. Crowds are down. Ratings are down Memberships are up because cats are allowed to be members. The game is great but what you said is completely wrong. Apart from that you are right

Interesting. Crowds are down. Ratings are down Memberships are up because cats are allowed to be members. The game is great but what you said is completely wrong. Apart from that you are right
They're down.... since when?

And compared to what?

Remember your comparison was to 2009. Attendance and tv ratings have climbed since then.

Incorrect. Maybe look on afl tables for crowds and say sorry. As for tv all is down. Afl is the least down but just remember the word tipping point.
Lol what. Mate you're either a straight up ******* idiot or you're blatantly lying out your ass in an attempt to stir me up.

Go have a read.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back